marathon taper question (Read 98 times)

Runslowalksalot

I'll keep this brief.   I'm in the last 2 days of a 3 week marathon taper.   I've followed my program pretty closely.  I ran, but didn't race, a 1/2 marathon 2weeks ago so as not to sabotage my marathon.  My plan called for 13 coincidentally.   I ran faster than a long run pace, but slower than race pace, It was " comfortably fast"    My HR didn't  break 75% of max till about mile 10-11.   I felt great 1 week into a 3 week taper.

However, after my next run 2 days later, 45 minutes easy with 2 800s at 5 k race pace, as per the plan, my legs have been heavy and sore.   This morning I did 4 miles easy with a few pick ups.  Legs were better but still heavy.   Im worried.     I've followed my plan, but did have to back off of the cross training the last few weeks due to injuring  My shoulder while surfing, WORTH IT!!!!

Anyways.... I stretch, roll, and eat right (mostly)The only change to my diet that I've made is to cut out beer this last week.    is it normal to still have  heavy legs a few day  before a marathon, or am I screwed?

Its normal.  Your legs are recovering and likely feel a little heavy/achy.  This will likely continue until race day morning when magically all aches disappear.

I really don't understand the point of a 3 week taper.

Because that's what the plans say?

mikeymike

The point is to be recovered enough from your training to deliver a max effort over 26.2 miles.

Runners run