Does anyone else hate running when you're not, you know, "running?" (Read 427 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

For example: if I'm waiting to cross a road, and a car stops for me, I feel it's polite to at least trot across, take up as little of the motorist's time as possible.

But UGH.  I'm always annoyed at having to move that fast for that short of a time, and feel sluggish and grumpy.

Am I just being a wuss, or does anyone else notice this?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

It's funny, but I am about the opposite.  I generally do not really enjoy the actual running when I am "running", but I have found that a jog has become almost my default mode of movement when I'm not thinking about it.  I have had to remind myself that it is not socially acceptable to jog to the back of Walmart just because I want to get done faster.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

A Saucy Wench

For example: if I'm waiting to cross a road, and a car stops for me, I feel it's polite to at least trot across, take up as little of the motorist's time as possible.

But UGH.  I'm always annoyed at having to move that fast for that short of a time, and feel sluggish and grumpy.

Am I just being a wuss, or does anyone else notice this?

Hmmm, can you move here please?  Because it seems that most people here think the proper way to cross is to saunter slowly chatting on the phone and then stop in the middle to make a point

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

If my training load is heavy, then outside of my workouts I don't even want to MOVE!

But if I'm feeling good I randomly sprint across crosswalks just for fun and quite enjoy it.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Village people

I don't hate running, but I always think about the fact that I am not wearing my running shoes. Maybe I should just wear them all the time.

B-Plus

I don't hate running, but I always think about the fact that I am not wearing my running shoes. Maybe I should just wear them all the time.

Don't forget your Garmin so you can log your crosswalk miles.

Julia1971

I was going to ask if I could move to where he is. Cars stopping for pedestrians? Peds better prepare to imitate Frogger when they cross the street here. I spend as little time in intersections as possible even when I'm not "running ".

Hmmm, can you move here please?  Because it seems that most people here think the proper way to cross is to saunter slowly chatting on the phone and then stop in the middle to make a point

SubDood

I was going to ask if I could move to where he is. Cars stopping for pedestrians? Peds better prepare to imitate Frogger when they cross the street here. I spend as little time in intersections as possible even when I'm not "running ".

I have a similar issue where I live. Cars stop and wait for me to cross, and I trot quickly across -- I feel like I'm returning a favor of some sort. But drivers here can be annoying with their politeness. On my last long run, I saw a car pull up to a stop sign at a cross street that I was approaching. I had to be over 100 yards away. I started gesturing for the car to just go ahead (there was no other traffic in sight). I continued to gesture and wave my arms to urge the car to go ahead. But the driver just sat there waiting for me to get to, and eventually cross, the intersection. I ended up speeding up more than I wanted to. It seemed to take forever.

Next time, I'll just slowly jog up to that intersection, then turn around and jog the other direction.

I have a similar issue where I live. Cars stop and wait for me to cross, and I trot quickly across -- I feel like I'm returning a favor of some sort. But drivers here can be annoying with their politeness. On my last long run, I saw a car pull up to a stop sign at a cross street that I was approaching. I had to be over 100 yards away. I started gesturing for the car to just go ahead (there was no other traffic in sight). I continued to gesture and wave my arms to urge the car to go ahead. But the driver just sat there waiting for me to get to, and eventually cross, the intersection. I ended up speeding up more than I wanted to. It seemed to take forever.

Next time, I'll just slowly jog up to that intersection, then turn around and jog the other direction.

this is is straight out of a garrison keillor story Smile

Back to op's question - I sort of know the feeling. I feel sort of awkward and discombobulated whenever I run across a street or run to catch a train or whatever. But I don't hate it.

And drivers here? There must be some secret motorists' game I'm not aware of where you get extra points for mowing down a stroller. And they get all huffy if you question whether their U turn at a red light/gteen walk signal was really so much more important than your baby's life. once someone literally backed out of a parking lot via the sidewalk and right into my stroller as I waited at a bus stop. I somehow managed to push it out of the way and screamed at the guy for like ten minutes and all he could think of to say was "I didn't mean to!"

Tl;dr Berlin is not Minnesota. And I hate people.

Sprint through an intersection, stop at a stop light. Whole thing drives me nuts. Unfortunately, I have to go two miles from home before traffic doesn't stop me every other block. The city (ironically, also in Minnesota: Minneapolis) has all sorts of beautiful lake trails, and I hate them, too. I want to just zone out and log in some miles, not continuously plot how I'm going to dodge around the next stroller. Distance running is a zen sport, and traffic is very anti-zen. Of course, with as much traffic as surrounds me, we all tend to follow the cue of our respective lights, so I rarely have to consider what a car is going to do; they're going to obey the laws that apply to them. Pedestrians, on the other hand, can be a guessing game. Just, you know, stick to your trajectory, and I will stick to mine.

Rungry!

Exactly - my work shoes are not sprint-friendly. When I'm in a hurry and jog through a parking lot or wal-mart, etc, it freaks people out. They look around for cop / serial killer / bear / zombie that is chasing me.

Jen

I always love running & I also love walkilng.  if someone stops for me I make sure that I ackowledge them 2-3 times by a quick hand gesture &  keep same pace across intersection.  sometimes get held up when crossing hwy & then the train  1/2 block further.   sometimes i run alongside (good distance away) train & then double back once its past so don't have to stop.  of course sometimes will use train as a chance to rest abit.   we have long trains that come through middle of town & if heading east with 100-200 cars it will have up to 5 engines to get over the Cascades pass.  once upon a time this was a sleepy little farming town but population has swelled 10x & city planners did not take trailn traffic into account.   but I digress as usual

superspike113

Honorary Old

I feel awkward and that everyone is staring, but I think its the lack of proper running shoes and sports bra.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

sugnim

I find it more surprising than anything.  I've been a runner for about 2 years now, which, obviously, is not the majority of my life.  So, I think I still have the mind set of a non-runner, when I'm not running.  If I have to run for something, I first feel dread, then embarrassment--I feel as though I am my former self and I hope that no one will notice my slow, fat ass waddling toward whatever I'm after.  But then, as I take a few steps, I remember that I'm not that person anymore; I remember that I can run pretty well, and I kind of enjoy the little jaunt.  It will usually make me look forward to my next run and make me glad that I am able to run if I need to.