PNW fall marathons (Read 138 times)

"easiest" fall marathons in PNW to PR or BQ?

Walk-Jogger

Too late for this year, but I vote for the "Tunnel Lite" marathon that runs from Snoqualmie Pass to North Bend. About 2K of gentle downhill decent on an unpaved bike trail following the old RR grade. It was a couple of weeks ago on Sept. 14th. This course was my one and only full marathon and I BQ'ed by more than 30 minutes.  YMMV .  .  .

Retired &  Loving It

ghost of seattle marathon, always held on Saturday after Thanksgiving, is flat(ish) and fast

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Tri-Cities marathon can be fast if wind not blowing.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Tar Heel Mom

kween

ghost of seattle marathon, always held on Saturday after Thanksgiving, is flat(ish) and fast

My son wanted me to come to Seattle for this, but I make Thanksgiving for my extended family and we will have tons of company then.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

JoyceH

Baystate Marathon in Lowell Mass towards the end of October. I had a PR last year. It's a flat and very fast marathon. Overall it was a great experience! Someday I will run it again. It's put on my a running club. It's small but well done! Beautiful time of year in New England!

Sorry, Pacific North West! I am not sure how to delete this comment 

thanks everyone !  will look these up, anymore?

I consider the area from British Columbia to Northern California as part of PNW.   Looking for marathons that are small/local to larger "destination"  (road trip!) types, as long as they are BQ qualifiers.

Joyce, believe it our not I have never been over to the East coast.  I'm sure there are lots of races with beautiful courses,  someday

rmcj001

Well, if you're including N. California...There's CIM (California International Marathon) in Sacramento on 12/7.  Expensive and not sure there are any slots left. (runcim.org/marathon)

Ray

Arimathea

Tessa

Humboldt Redwoods Marathon (October 19) is on the same course as Avenue of the Giants, I believe.

The Ave of Giants & Humboldt Redwoods are indeed on same course with 2 out/backs.  The Ave (1st Sunday in May usually) goes out Bull Creek Flats rd towards Dyerville & then comes back towards start & then out/back on the actual Avenue of the Giants scenic bypass.  Humboldt Redwoods just reverses that.  Humboldt redwoods is definite possibility as I lived down there for 30 yrs & its where my family & old high school buddies are.  My only marathon was the Ave  back in ........ ... oh well a long time ago.

Well, if you're including N. California...There's CIM (California International Marathon) in Sacramento on 12/7.  Expensive and not sure there are any slots left. (runcim.org/marathon)

Yeah I consider Sacramento & S.F. as beginning of N. California.    bit of a stretch from Seattle but Road Trip!  just get on I-5 set the cruise control & go.  Wont be snow in Sacramento in December but still could be cold, windy, & wet !   but that would be much better than  the 105 or 110 it gets sometimes in summer.  CIM considered one of the primary BQ races over this side of the country because of the timing & mostly flat course?

Arimathea

Tessa

CIM is relatively flat (it does roll, especially the first half) and has an elevation loss which makes it attractive to many runners. Also back in the days when Boston didn't fill until February it was a good opportunity for someone to try for a BQ or PR if s/he didn't make it at one of the big fall marathons (Chicago, MCM, NYCM, that group).

dont think I mentioned this but I'm looking ahead to fall (Oct/Nov) of 2015.  I get 15 extra minutes for BQ October 2015!

Cecil59:   that "tunnel Lite" marathon is very intriguing.

HappyFeat

Have you considered Victoria in early October? It is a Boston Qualifier and said to be a fast course.

http://www.runvictoriamarathon.com/

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Fall marathons are stupid.

One is, anyhow.