can you improve overpronation (Read 3280 times)

I am a bit over weigh and only been running this time around for a few months. My right foot overpronates a fair bit and my left foot is closer to neutral. Can overpronation be improved? I have tried doing research and I gotten conflicting data. I have found a couple exercises online that are supposed to help. So my question for all you over pronaters out there... Have you improved your issue by any other method than just standard Jogging? I am almost sure as I loose weight it should help, but would any particular strengthen excersies help?
      Some types of overpronation can be reduced through specific foot / ankle (and perhaps other targeted stregnth) exercises - if they have functional, rather than structural causes. Structural causes are more likely to need some physical assistance either through shoes or orthotics or both.
      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        You can reduce the effects of overpronation with proper shoes and inserts but you are pretty much stuck with the overpronation itself. Tom
          Absolutely can strengthen the lower limbs by walking NOT running at first on flats or barefoot. More plastic means more crutches. Dont buy that western thought, Do strengthening exercises along with minimalist shoes. After 1-2 years begin to JOG in them. Then build up, that's what I did.
          finney

Resident pinniped

Absolutely can strengthen the lower limbs by walking NOT running at first on flats or barefoot. More plastic means more crutches. Dont buy that western thought, Do strengthening exercises along with minimalist shoes. After 1-2 years begin to JOG in them. Then build up, that's what I did.
            While that might have worked for you, not everyone is willing or able to invest that kind of time. Also, if you have no arch to start with, like some, or if you have an arch that does not hold itself up, like me and others, there is NO strengthening exercises in the world that will give you what nature didn't. I understand your thinking, that we just shouldn't "medicate" everything right away, sometimes it is necessary.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think for someone who pronates only moderately and has no major biomechanical issues it is very possible and maybe even likely that overpronation can be reduced--at least this has been the case for me. First year I ran I was in moderate stability shoes. On a whim decided to try a mild-stability, lightweight trainer just for my shortest runs and speedwork...gradually started increasing the length of the runs I did in these shoes. Eventually all of my runs in my more stable shoes started feeling uncomfortable and like I was "fighting the shoe" and all of my runs in the lightweight shoes felt great. Now I am entirely in lightweight shoes...I still need some stability most of the time, but can get away with neutral shoes here and there. Maybe someday I will be entirely neutral or even in flats for some runs/races...it wouldn't surprise me at this point. When I do go back to stiffer shoes with more stability it's not a happy experience (anyone want a pair of NB 768s with less than 10 miles on them...? Wink).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A couple more questions... first how do I know if I have a structural problem versus a soft tissue issue? Also how much difference will just loosing weight make? I am planning on hopefully running for a long time. Currently with my millage it isn't cuasing issues but I am concerned about the future. Also good motion control shoes are WAY to expensive. My current plan... I want to do a bit of barefoot running (soon as I find a good place) Also I found some toe raise experiences that are supposed to strengthen my tibialis posterior muscle.
                  "first how do I know if I have a structural problem versus a soft tissue issue? Also how much difference will just loosing weight make?" Mine was diagnosed by PT who works with runners and understands gait analysis. (other PT's didn't look for cause) He also did a full body analysis and uncovered some other weaknesses. He kinda laughed at my first analysis since I had so many weird things - BUT he said they were all fixable, one way or another. He said some of my issues were functional, some structural when I asked him that question - IOW, how much could be treated with exercises or would I always need some structural support (some of both). He gave me a bunch of foot / ankle strengthening exercises, got me out of mc shoes that shoe store had put me in, and put me in stability shoes with torsion control. I'm still using orthotics with those. I do some barefoot work on gymnastics floor exercise mat in winter and some in my lawn in summer. When I first started that winter xt class, I could barely run on the mat I was so unstable. Now I can do single leg hops and agility drills, etc. Not as good as others in the class, but progress over several years is noticeable to the extent that the instructor has commented on it.
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    I have been reading about Gait analysis. How would I find some place to do it? I live in Southern California so there must be somewhere.
                      Ask at your running shoe store or running club or some equivalent. You may get suggestions there. If there's a university sports medicine clinic near you, they may be able to help. Try an internet search. I would *not* depend on Yellow pages or equivalent, although that could be used to start fishing trip and start asking questions if you have no other source. I found my local PT through an Anchorage running store (about 40 mi away). His practice was fairly new a few years ago, but word is spreading. He sometimes advertises in our runners' calendar and supports local races. His partner in the practice is also a runner (has won one women's mtn race). This is truly a case of not all practitioners are the same. I'd been to an earlier PT for my AT and they only treated symptoms. A local chiropractic (also runs and does tri's) had a Footmaxx gait analyzer, but was new to it, and his only suggestions were orthotics. The new PT did a visual analysis and came up with a similar but more detailed analysis than the machine, BUT said most could be fixed by exercise. Maybe somebody here lives the same place you do and can point you in right direction. PS: Your GP may or may not know. Mine used to run until he had assorted problems. He was unaware of this PT. But many local folks use him now for assorted aches and pains.
                      db7

I found a place in Winter Park, CO that makes custon inserts. (doesnt help you much) I went from chronic shin splints and knee pain to NO pain anywhere. Inserts and proper shoe fit by knowledgable people will make a huge differrence. Not all inserts are the same. Use the search feature on here and you can read many threads about inserts. It made all the difference for me and I believe that it can help anyone within reason. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

This is my experience and I am sure not every one are alike. Anyway, after few months after started running, my right thigh close to my pelvis started to hurt. So, I ran front of a marrow and learn my right foot is turn out ward when it lands. Then I experimented to turn my foot in ward to copy how my left foot goes. Believe or not, the pelvis pain when away; so I know that is it. I have also notice if I turn in any more then I need, my outer hip starts to get really sore. I think I had fixed it for just a few months. Arch support after market insoles work really good for me. Weight less, I guess, will help avoid injury in the process. Good luck and hop this will help.
                          stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Re: the weight loss. I had to purchase new shoes after I lost a substantial amount of weight. I don't know how true this is for anyone else, but I found that weighing less meant that I had to get a different type of shoe (mild overpronation) than what I had started out with (neutral). Of course, this could just have been my complete ignorance of shoe types and running, and perhaps even denial. I have since accepted my overpronation and my calves thank me. Wink I'm not sure this post is of any value at all. LOL

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

While that might have worked for you, not everyone is willing or able to invest that kind of time. Also, if you have no arch to start with, like some, or if you have an arch that does not hold itself up, like me and others, there is NO strengthening exercises in the world that will give you what nature didn't.
                              During the 1-2, really more like 3 years of adjusting, my foot doc recommended motion control shoes because of severe OP on my right ankle. I do have high - rigid arches, and have had bad shin splints that led to a micro stress fracture setting me back 5 months. I grew running track and XC in flats. Mega amounts of walking barefoot is a really good bonus to strengthen anyones ankles, Ethipians, Terahumas and Kenyans know this all too well. The Maker didn't create you this way, our modern western culture sold us the idea that we need science and technology. $$$$
                              Carps10

It's not all about foot/leg strength. I can run the mile in 4:38, the 5k in 16:20, so I'm pretty sure I have strong feet and legs. I also weigh 125, so losing weight isn't always the key either. In my case, I just naturally have low arches. For others, it's a lack of conditioning combined with high body weight that flattens their arches, although they were naturally born with arches.