Hello to all (Read 1004 times)

Hello all, This is the first forum i have ever joined. I have been ready them for a while but when I found this one i really like it so i thought i would join. I started running a little less than a year ago and ran my first 5k about a 3 month ago with a time of 20:16. Know i am stuck and cannot shave anymore time off. Does anybody have any suggestions. My goal is to break 18 but am having trouble. I am training about 4 to 5 times a week and averaging 25 to 30 miles a week. I am doing intervel training 1 day a week with one long day and 2 or 3 average days. Please help! Also i signed up for my first 10K on the 22nd of this months so i am very excited.

Into the wild

Hello and welcome Smile I'm not expert but what you're doing sounds right. How long are your long runs? Are your intervals at a pace to get you under 20 mins for your 5km..(Someone will be along in a while to tell you what that might be..) Perhaps you could make your log public so we can see what you've been doing. Good luck with your goals...what time are you aiming for in the 10k? Johnny

Shut up and run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Steven--welcome! If there's any board that will get you addicted to posting on a forum, THIS is the place! Big grin I don't have much advice for bettering your 5k time...maybe more speedwork and even a day of hills thrown in every couple of weeks...? Good luck with your 10k--I have one the following Saturday. It's a nice distance...long enough, but I still feel up to driving afterwards. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My long runs are about 8 to 10 miles. My goal for my 10k is anything under 50 minutes.
          Scout7

This will sound counter-intuitive, but you might consider backing off the intensity, and increasing the mileage. If you're plateauing with your current mileage, I'd look at building more. See if you can get it up to 40. If you're doing that, I'd change the interval workouts to tempo workouts.
              Welcome!! I'm also running a 10k the same day as you. It's also gonna be my first race. Good luck to you! Big grin Which part of Singapore were you at in that picture? Care to tell me your experiences in Singapore while you were there? Smile

Why is it sideways?

slbryand, If you make your log public, then perhaps we can give more help. For what it's worth, I think sub 18 is totally within your reach, if you are already running 20:16 within your first year of running. Welcome!
                  If your focus is on running 5ks right now I suggest that instead of doing long runs do multiple short runs in a day. I often do a 2 mile take a 10 min. break and then do speedwork on a track, followed by another 2 mile run. This way you will still be picking up some distance but focusing on speed. I would still get a long run in at least once a week. Your times are good for the distances you have been running but try getting a closer to a pace you will have to run in a 5k to break 18:00 (5:49). I would also suggest 4 mile runs at a moderate hard pace. If you could work towards do a 4 mile training run at 6:30 pace or faster then in 5k you should be very near that goal. Then again everything i suggested could be wrong, I hope its right though because my goal is to break 18 before the end of August.
                    Wecome, Steven - this is a really nice place to be - glad you found it Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

Just to back up my last post you may want to check out this site from Hal Higdon. he has a lot of different training distances and his training is actually very similar to what i had suggested. Thanks to Bonkin for mentioning this site on another subject site in this forum.
                        You are fast and welcome to RA. modal (a fellow Texan)

Vim

Welcome to RA!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Welcome to RA Smile
                            2009: BQ?
                              I have heart breaking news. I borke my ankle last night running. It was dark and i stepped in a hole and broke it. They put it in a cast and said it might require surgery. So my running days are on hold for a while it looks like. And that sucks.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, Steven...that is awful! I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you won't need surgery. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay