Quote of the Day (Read 563 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

From Lance: "For the level of condition that I have now, that was without a doubt the hardest physical thing I have ever done...I think I bit off more than I could chew, I thought the marathon would be easier." http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=2650506

You'll ruin your knees!

How sad is it when you run a sub 3 hour marathon and finish 856th? I know he was humbled, but his tenacity to hit the goal of sub 3 is quite impressive. Running is not his sport and the pounding he put his legs through is something he is not likely to soon forget. Still, good for him and good for NYC Marathon to have this story versus the story of the front runner sliding across the finish line unconcious!:O Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I find it hard to believe that running a marathon is tougher than climbing all those hills in Tour de France. Granted that your body takes more pounding during running, but being on your bike day after day is no cake walk either. He could just be paying lip service to the marathoners. That said, it's still quite an achievement to run a 3 hour marathon on the first try. Didn't he just run 16 miles as his long run? He probably could have done better had he ran 20+.
        mikeymike

I agree, MC. I think he's being very diplomatic. I read an interview recently in which he said his longest run was, in fact 16, and that was like 2 weeks ago and the little training he did was all while keeping a really agressive travel schedule. His body type is not that of an elite marathoner but I bet if he made it his focus in life he could run low 2:20's if not faster. He's a freak.

Runners run

JakeKnight

He is truly an amazing guy. Sub-3:00 on his first try. And you just know he was bummed about it, too. I do sorta doubt the "hardest physical thing ever" bit. Although if his longest run was 16 miles, I bet it *did* hurt more than he was expecting! Did you see how his stats compared to Paul Tergat's in that RW article from a couple months back? Pretty amazing. His VO2 max and LT were practically identical. The only really big difference was his body type: an inch shorter and a full 30 pounds heavier. It'll be interesting to see if he gets a little more serious about it. And now I wanna see Tergat go do the Tour de France.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------