Realistic 5k goal (Read 251 times)

ScrambledEggs

I am trying to break 22 min in the 5k. In 2012, I ran a 5k with minimal training and no speedwork. My time was 28:3x and I kind of didn't run again until the beginning of 2013. In 2013, I ran my second 5k in 23:4x. My training was on average 8 mpw with my highest week being 14 miles. I did a little speedwork, but I didn't really know what I was doing. Now I'm doing my third 5k and my goal is 21:59. Is this realistic? I am doing the Cool Running Beginner 5k training plan. Should I shoot for something faster or slower? Thanks!

Latent Runner

I'd say based upon what you've told us, that sub-22 is a realistic goal for you.  That said, what I would recommend were I coaching you would be to lose the speed work and build your mileage base.  I'm thinking if you start running 25-30 miles per week then 22 minutes should be a lead-pipe cinch.

Regarding speed work, once you get down to sub-20 for a 5K then might be a good time to start working some speed drills into your weekly routine.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      joescott

It is realistic.  Don't worry about the speedwork.  The number 1 thing you can do is develop consistency running.  Make it a habit and stay with it and that will carry you far.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I have found that once i quit worrying about a time goal and just focused on the process of getting better, the time took care of itself. Be consistent. Find a program that works for you and just run. It may take longer than you are prepared for but I am guessing if you are consistent, 22 minutes will be conservative.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am trying to break 22 min in the 5k. In 2012, I ran a 5k with minimal training and no speedwork. My time was 28:3x and I kind of didn't run again until the beginning of 2013. In 2013, I ran my second 5k in 23:4x. My training was on average 8 mpw with my highest week being 14 miles. I did a little speedwork, but I didn't really know what I was doing. Now I'm doing my third 5k and my goal is 21:59. Is this realistic? I am doing the Cool Running Beginner 5k training plan. Should I shoot for something faster or slower? Thanks!

I ran 22:02 at AG 55(40 miles per week). There are to many variables. Age,weight. gender and temperature on race day just to name a few.

PS: AVG 8 miles per week. Are you under 30?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

ScrambledEggs

Thank you all for the encouraging and helpful comments! I'm really motivated now to go out and accomplish my goals. Smile

23 min. off the couch is fine. You'll be down to 22 in no time.

ScrambledEggs

Hi, I am back with an update/training question. 1. The last 2-3 weeks I have had some discomfort in my right leg. At first it was on the inside of my lower shin. That's gone now...but then my Achilles started to ache a bit. It's feeling better bit by bit, but I haven't been running too much. 2. I ran a 2 mile race this last Saturday and got 15:5x. So, obviously I'm not in shape to run a sub 22 5k. Looking over my training, I realized I haven't been as consistent as I imagined. Also, I realized that the training plan I'm using just has too much mileage per run. 3. Here's the plan-scale back on my miles per run and just focus on running consistently throughout the week. Sound good? Please tell me what you think. Thanks!
                  stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It's kinda hard to tell.  2miles (under 20mins) isn't really enough to get a body warmed up.  So, what you do during that time is pretty misleading.  I avg 10mi per run and would say that the first 2 miles are sluggish at best.

If you have your heart set on 22min in the 5k, I would suggest running fewer times per week, but running 4mi each time with your long (slow) run working up to 6mi.  Maybe then you can start getting into a groove.

So 3x4mi + 1 6mi.  20mpw.  That would be a minimum to nail the goal.

Just go slow on your training runs and don't do speedwork.  It'll come.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Latent Runner

Hi, I am back with an update/training question. 1. The last 2-3 weeks I have had some discomfort in my right leg. At first it was on the inside of my lower shin. That's gone now...but then my Achilles started to ache a bit. It's feeling better bit by bit, but I haven't been running too much. 2. I ran a 2 mile race this last Saturday and got 15:5x. So, obviously I'm not in shape to run a sub 22 5k. Looking over my training, I realized I haven't been as consistent as I imagined. Also, I realized that the training plan I'm using just has too much mileage per run. 3. Here's the plan-scale back on my miles per run and just focus on running consistently throughout the week. Sound good? Please tell me what you think. Thanks!

Hard to tell from your post what "scale back on my miles per run" means in that you haven't defined what you're scaling back from and what you plan on running instead.  If you're saying you're running say 15 miles at a crack and are going to drop it to say 6 to 8, but run more frequently; that's probably a good idea.  However, if you're saying you plan on scaling back from say 3 miles per run to say 2, I'd tell you you're heading in the wrong direction; you should be planning on scaling up your miles instead.

As stadjak suggested, you should simply slow down and run further per run.  Were it that I was coaching you, I would have you focus entirely on adding distance until you got up to say 6 miles per run at least 3-4 times per week before attempting to speed things up again.  Believe it or not, running 6+ miles per workout, even if you run at a very slow pace, will improve your 2 mile and 5K times significantly.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                      • 2-mile: 13:49
                      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                      • 5-Mile: 37:24
                      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Prince of Fatness

If you have your heart set on 22min in the 5k, I would suggest running fewer times per week, but running 4mi each time with your long (slow) run working up to 6mi.  Maybe then you can start getting into a groove.

I prefer running more often but if you do go this route make sure that you do something on your off days.  It will help with your recovery to move around, even if it is a half hour brisk walk.

One other thing, 5K's are relatively easy to recover from so instead of targeting a specific race you may want to just race a 5K every 2 or 3 weeks.  Once the weather warms up it is easy to find a race close by every week (in most places).  My experience was that the thing that helped me the most in bringing my 5K time down was racing 5K's.

FFS I actually talked a bit about running.

Not at it at all. 

As stadjak suggested, you should simply slow down and run further per run.  Were it that I was coaching you, I would have you focus entirely on adding distance until you got up to say 6 miles per run at least 3-4 times per week before attempting to speed things up again.  Believe it or not, running 6+ miles per workout, even if you run at a very slow pace, will improve your 2 mile and 5K times significantly.

Agreed.  I started running about 3 years ago, the more miles I added, the lower my 5K times got.  A 22:00 is definitely in reach.   Run consistently, and the 5K times will drop.   Some slower 5-6 mile runs a few times per week will prepare your body well for running a great effort in a future 5K.  

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

ScrambledEggs

Thanks for the advice. The longest run I have managed was 5 miles. So I still have a ways to go. Smile

+1   on all those who say to increase your mileage by running more often (4-6 days/week) & more consistently.  don't worry about pace or any speed work until you are averaging closer to 20 mpw consistently for a few weeks.    Your avg pace will naturally improve for quite some time without  the added speedwork.  At some point you can start adding in shorter tempo or uptempo type stuff.  The bigger the base of the Pyramid the more extra stuff can be gradually added on safely.