Momentum River Running Trip (Read 125 times)

A friend of mine and I are doing this trip this weekend.  http://blog.momentumriverexpeditions.com/2013/09/29/rogue-river-trail-running-trips/

Essentially a running "vacation" where we run about 45-50 miles over 3 days, supported by a whitewater rafting company (camping gear, food, etc.).  I believe our guide will be Jenn Shelton of "Born to Run".

Just curious is any other RA members are going to be there?

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

If anyone ever gets a chance to do this trip, I highly suggest it.

A 3 day trip with approximately 14 miles per day following the Rogue River.  Gorgeous views, great food, and great company.

For our trip there were 10 runners plus our guides which included Jenn Shelton and Connie Gardner, two legendary ultra runners.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

bhearn

Funny, we are doing the same thing late this month, but with a different company. If I'd known I'd get Jenn Shelton and Connie Gardner, I'd have gone with Momentum!

http://www.orangetorpedo.com/mobile/rogue-river-trail/three-day-run.php

You do realize that you could do this as a 3 day backpacking experience for free, right. I did a similar trip on the AT, 52 miles, in 2.5 days. I had 2 friends joining me too, Mary Jane and Jim Beam. We didn't require a guide either.

bhearn

Funny, but when I am running 40 miles I prefer not to be carrying tent, sleeping bag, etc. on my back.

Funny, we are doing the same thing late this month, but with a different company. If I'd known I'd get Jenn Shelton and Connie Gardner, I'd have gone with Momentum!

http://www.orangetorpedo.com/mobile/rogue-river-trail/three-day-run.php

Awesome, enjoy the trip.  It was a good time.  Good company and great food to go with a nice run.

I agree, although we could do it ourselves, that would be pretty tough to carry tent, bag, food, stove, etc.  It was really nice to arrive at camp each day with the tents set up, the beer cold, and dinner on!

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

Oh roo roooo!

This sounds like a GREAT time; I'm envious of you, Rick!  I guess it was only a matter of time until someone started offering a service like this.

I like that they offer the option of additional miles for those who want to/are able to do more mileage.  I'd imagine that hiking rather than running some of that extra mileage would be possible, too.

And soaking in the river afterwards, then having a beverage at riverside?  That just sounds like a little slice of heaven to me!

I'm sure there are other and cheaper ways to do this, but it's less than either of my 2 trips to Boston ended up costing me...

Best Present Ever

I have friends who have run the length of Shenandoah  in three days (about 100 miles). They had spouse/friend support so didn't have to schlep anything.  I had no idea there were companies that organized this sort of thing.

Village people

This is exactly the type of vacation I would like to take.

How was your trip BHearn?

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

bhearn

Not for a couple more weeks.

HappyFeat

If anyone ever gets a chance to do this trip, I highly suggest it.

A 3 day trip with approximately 14 miles per day following the Rogue River.  Gorgeous views, great food, and great company.

For our trip there were 10 runners plus our guides which included Jenn Shelton and Connie Gardner, two legendary ultra runners.

Thanks for the recommendation, Rick. Someday....I will do this. It really sounds like the perfect vacation to me.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Sultan of slug

You do realize that you could do this as a 3 day backpacking experience for free, right. I did a similar trip on the AT, 52 miles, in 2.5 days. I had 2 friends joining me too, Mary Jane and Jim Beam. We didn't require a guide either.

I've been thinking of doing something like this too, minus the Beam (for weight)! Questions:

• Did you do this with support, or did you carry your stuff?
                            • If the latter, what pack did you use?I recently started running home from work with an REI Stroke 9, which is obviously too small for this. My backpacking base weight is down to about 17 lb nowadays, including a 2.25-lb pack. This includes a couple things I could do without when weight/volume is more important, like a stove and pot (the kind for cooking).
                            • Did you bring a stove? If not, what did you eat for dinner? I'm not sure how I'd replenish carbs if I weren't able to cook, say, lentils and rice like I normally do while backpacking. Carrying a bunch of Clif bars seems less efficient weight-wise compared with a stove because of all the water weight.

Really curious to hear from anyone who's done a self-supported multi-day trail run.

• Did you do this with support, or did you carry your stuff?  The beauty of it was that it was fully supported.  I had a water bottle and some GU.  Some people had a camel back but it was only a max of about 15 miles per day so I didn't think it was necessary.  Everything else was rafted down the river.

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

This does sound like a great trip, just not my style. I wouldn't mind arriving in camp, kick off the shoes, crack a cold and chill, and have dinner on the stove waiting. However, i particularly enjoy 20+ mile days, setting up a tent, or bivy sac if there is no chance of rain, cooking some couscous with chicken, tuna or crab meat and having some Chardonnay for din-din, then an indian cigar.