2015 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 689 times)

btb1490

Would it be preferable to be at the start of the 2nd?  Or end of the 1st?

I was in wave 2, corral 1 one year, and it didn't work out so good.  First of all there was a headwind that year, which meant hardly anyone to draft.  Secondly, I was in much better shape than I was when I got my qualifying time.  So what happened with that is that I slammed into the back of wave 1, and for the remaining 16 miles or so, all I did was fight my way through slower runners.  But it was pretty cool having the road almost to yourself for the first part of the race.

montag

Super Pro Lurker

I'm in too for my 3rd Boston. I've been injured for almost 2 months and just started running again this week, so it looks like I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. Smile No goals or training plan yet. I just want to get back to running! Also starting in Wave 1 corral 9 was very frustrating last year.... I was running around people for over 12 miles. It can be very mentally taxing.

Count me in for my first ever Boston Marathon.  Very excited!

I don't think I will even set a goal for this one.  Just want to go, soak it all in, and come home with a jacket.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

BruceD555

Julia, count me in as well as another first timer. I've reverted back back to Pfitz 18/75ish (from a Hansonesque plan) but won't run Boston as a goal race since I signed up for Boston 2 Big Sur and I'd like to still have legs for the Left Coast.

Train smart ... race smarter.

bhearn

Julia, count me in as well as another first timer. I've reverted back back to Pfitz 18/75ish (from a Hansonesque plan) but won't run Boston as a goal race since I signed up for Boston 2 Big Sur and I'd like to still have legs for the Left Coast.

For me, I would pick one or the other as a goal race. And between the two, it would have to be Boston. All you need for Big Sur is legs left to finish. You can't run fast there anyway; it's for the scenery.

BruceD555

For me, I would pick one or the other as a goal race. And between the two, it would have to be Boston. All you need for Big Sur is legs left to finish. You can't run fast there anyway; it's for the scenery.

That's my thought exactly. I'll run training for a 3:15 but it's still a bit early to determine what I'll ultimately shoot for at Boston. (Camera/phone will definitely be in hand for Big Sur)

Train smart ... race smarter.

bhearn

I've done B2B five times, and the only time I chose to try to race Big Sur was 2012, when it was 89° at Boston. I'd been planning sub-3 at Boston, targeted 3:05 at Big Sur instead, ran 3:12. It's hard. It would be fun to try to run it totally fresh sometime, no Boston, but, well, that would mean no Boston.

Bruce, I'd be interested to learn your reasons reverting back to Pfitz after Hanson plan. What were your experiences with Hanson? I've been going the other direction.

Cool thread.  How do you get added to the list of Boston RunningAhead Runners below? My info is as follows:

Runner: guamrunner

Goal Time: 2:32 - 2:35

Training Plan:

Corral/Bib:  1 / tbd

Notes: 4th consecutive Boston (5 total).

Thanks

Julia1971

I updated the calendar and linked to a poll Eric Smile has about a Saturday dinner.  (I'm holding off on entering wave/corral information until it comes out).

We're just under 18 weeks so I imagine most of us have started training.  If you haven't booked a hotel, I would recommend doing it NOW.  The pickings downtown are slim and expensive.

BruceD555, I'm already looking forward to your taper madness.  Smile

FSBD

They must not like me because my :04.8 got rounded up to :05. Oh well at least they finally updated my time.

They must like me a little since I got my card already. They also rounded my qualifying second down from 43.9 to 43. That's got to be worth a dozen bib numbers for me as I move back to start from wave 2.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Good news:  Received my post card confirming updated qualifying time.

Bad news:  Almost certain to DNS due to as of yet un-diagnosed knee injury.  Haven't been able to run in 9 weeks and docs are no further in figuring out the problem......

Ready, go.

BQ qualifying for 2016 started Sept 2014.  What is the ending date to qualify for 2016?  or at least approximate date?

BQ qualifying for 2016 started Sept 2014.  What is the ending date to qualify for 2016?  or at least approximate date?

Whenever the field limit has been reached. The trend lately has been a week or so after registration opens, so mid-September 2015 most likely.

Runners run

FSBD

Does anyone know if it is difficult to get dropped off at the start rather than taking the shuttle?  I'm thinking about staying in Milford the night before since the hotels out there are much more reasonably priced and I would only be about 5 miles from the start.  I don't want it to turn into a big Cluster F though, so I was wondering about people's experiences with that, especially last year with the heightened security in place.

Thanks

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.