Mold in Camelbak Jet Valve (TM) (Read 1376 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Anyone have experience with mold forming inside a Camelbak Jet Valve? I keep getting some forming inside the valve and can't get rid of it even after cleaning with Clorax disinfectant wipe inserted using a tooth pic and soaking in bleach. Keeps coming back even when dry. Must stay damp enough inside the mechanism to keep the stuff coming back.

thanks

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I soaked the cap of my Camelbak cycling bottles in 10% bleach, then washed with a narrow-gauge bottle brush and rinsed copiously.  After that, I store them in the fridge.  (Camelback actually recommends that to prevent mold growth.)  I've reused them for up to a week (at least one new liquid in there per day) without washing, and so long as they've gone back in the fridge when I was done, I've not had mold re-growth.

Hitting them with full-strength bleach can degrade the silicone and actually create more nooks and crannies for mold to grow.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

jules2

I use the type of sterilising tablets that are used for babies bottles and never have a problem if you are using sugar based energy drinks you need to clean them as soon as you can after use.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Thanks for the suggestions. Will give it a try. I don't use sports drinks or anything sugary, just water. Have to watch sugars, and some colored drinks can irritate my overactive bladder, so its water only. Will give the fridge a go while I look for some sterilizing tablets to top it off.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

FYI, it may not be mold. water hoses commonly build up mineral deposits, They are fairly harmless. 

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I should have said its a water bottle with a Jet Valve.

bob e v

kcam

When I used to do a lot of mountain biking I stored my camelback bladders and valves in the freezer.   Never had a mold problem after that.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will give it a try. I don't use sports drinks or anything sugary, just water. Have to watch sugars, and some colored drinks can irritate my overactive bladder, so its water only. Will give the fridge a go while I look for some sterilizing tablets to top it off.

I've heard that you can use denture cleaning tablets.

When I used to do a lot of mountain biking I stored my camelback bladders and valves in the freezer.   Never had a mold problem after that.

Yeah - that's what I do too.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I was thinking about the freezer after hearing about refrigerator but was concerned about residual moisture freezing and change in temp affects on the mechanism. Glad to hear others have done successfully.

bob e v

jules2

A few years ago we did a two day MTB enduro in mid summer and we ended up in a place that only,had carbonated water, I didn't think much about this,until further down the track I bit into,the valve and it was like a fire extinguisher going off in my mouth because of the pressure that had built up and it felt like it was coming out my nose, ears and eyes at the same time I,also had one leak and the sugar in the energy drink stuck my cycling shorts,to my legs and I had to,soak the shorts and slowly and painfully peel them off it made me realise why they use sugar solution to remove excess hair. But Camelbaks are a wonderful invention and I only wish I had thought of them first.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Slo

Yep.

A Saucy Wench

Efferdent is fantastic for cleaning out camelbaks.  And metal coffee pots.   Fill the bladder, once it dissolves and fizzes, bleed enough through the hose that the whole thing is filled with efferdent.  Let sit over night. 

Rinse really really freaking well because the light minty aftertaste is nasty on a long run.

MTA - just saw it is the bottle cap, same thing only put the solution in a bowl and soak the valve in the open position.  I would also squirt some through the valve before soaking. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7