starting with hills (Read 660 times)

running buddies

I just finished the C25K program, running trails. I've found a route that I can run 15 minutes out and 15 minutes back on that's relatively flat, which is what I used for the C25K. Trouble is, it's getting really boring, but any deviation from that path takes some big hills down first, then back up. It seems ridiculous to drive somewhere to run when I've got these great trails next door. Any advice on how to start working these hills into my runs? I'm going to be sticking with 30 minute runs for a few weeks (I'm working on the OHR program now), so is it okay to do this? or is it going to be too much too fast for a newbie like me? Thanks for any advice...
    "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
      I would just give it go and see how you fare. Be careful not to go so fast on the downhill that you run "out of control". Don't lean backwards to "brake" either - lean forward a little - ideally you want to be perpendicular to the ground. On the way back up, you may or may not be able to run all the way. No shame in walking some if you run out of gas. You will read/hear about running up fast, etc. For now, just start out slow - you will get faster over time. Hills are awesome for building strength. I used to hate them, but the more I run them, the more I like them.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I agree. Just take it easy and maybe just do one day a week for starters. Listen to your body. Use good form - stay vertical on way up (line through center of earth) and perpendicular to the slope on your way down. Don't overstride. If you have ready access to hills, I'd definitely use them. Enjoy.Smile
        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

running buddies

Thanks - I appreciate the advice about form. I'll try to keep it in mind. I'm worried about my knees with the downhills. I've never had any trouble with them, but don't want to start.
          "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
            If you have bad knees, then obviously use caution on downhills. Walk them if needed, but sometimes that's harder than running them. If they're just weak, they can be strengthened, and might be advisable to strengthen knees and quads if you're concerned. Since you're just starting running, some body weight stengthening can be helpful. Just some simple stuff like single-leg balance squats, lunges (short, medium, long strides to work different aspects of quads), etc. The links I post below are probabably for longer and bigger hills than what you're dealing with for the time being, but the general observations on form and training effects are still valid. Here's some observations on training for downhills http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0009.htm Comments by Matt Carpenter on downhill running: http://www.skyrunner.com/story/ups_downs.htm and Scott Jurek http://tinyurl.com/5dcd54 Enjoy and be careful!
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog