Snowshoe Running / Running Snowshoes (Read 132 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Believe it or not, snowmobile tracks are kind of sucky to run in because the tracks have churned up the snow and make it mealy like wet sand.  Lots of slippage because your cleats can't find purchase.

We used to live in an area with miles of snowmobile trails, but few snowshoers or skiers -- this makes sense.  The few times I tried running on the snowmobile trails it was WAY hard!!!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Snowmachine tracks will vary depending on their tread. If there's been enough of the tread to pack it hard, it's pretty good running without snowshoes.

Some of the newer, more powerful snowmachines are using paddles, rather than the lower treads (like a cat track), to climb in the mountains. Those really do a number on the trails and make them worthless for most other users. The way they tear up a trail can result in injuries for sled dogs - overuse injuries just like us.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Some of the newer, more powerful snowmachines are using paddles, rather than the lower treads (like a cat track), to climb in the mountains. Those really do a number on the trails and make them worthless for most other users. The way they tear up a trail can result in injuries for sled dogs - overuse injuries just like us.

i would like to thank ALL snowmobile, atv, utv, dirtbike or any other club out there that puts their time into funding trail maintenance and upkeep. without you there would be no trail for me to run, snowshoe, 4-wheel, horse ride, bimble, investigate or snowmobile. if a condition of a trail is undesirable there are options to join a club and help out with bridge making, land filling, tree pruning and paying dues...or breaking your own trail is always fun and exciting too.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

jpdeaux

And great cross-training! (From what I hear.)

breaking your own trail is always fun and exciting too.

And great cross-training! (From what I hear.)

thank you for posting after me. i'm usually the one that kills a thread!

awwww....shit.

Latent Runner

I too have become quite the thread killer...

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
              • 2-mile: 13:49
              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
              • 5-Mile: 37:24
              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

I too have become quite the thread killer...

well now, i guess that makes you a highly intelligent and thorough individual that nobody has anything to add after you.

being a thread killer...that's what i think of thread killers. Smile

i have a pair of snowshoes...i've raced 5(maybe) times in NH. one race was the night time madbury race. there was almost no snow and lots of bare ground so snowshoes were optional. i brought mine so i wore them but many wore yak-traks...i made a small round track to snowshoe on in my yard when i have my son at home...i use a snowmobile to pack the track down that i snowshoe on...my shoes are not dions...i wear dirty girls. they keep the snow out of my sneakers and are worth the 20 bucks.

there's my narcisistic contribution.

I keep going back and forth on the snowshoes, given the variable amount of snow we get in NH and my work schedule.  If I buy a pair now, chances are there will only be one day all winter I can use them.  But if I wait until the first big storm where I could use them, everyone will be sold out.  What to do?

an amazing likeness

I keep going back and forth on the snowshoes, given the variable amount of snow we get in NH and my work schedule.  If I buy a pair now, chances are there will only be one day all winter I can use them.  But if I wait until the first big storm where I could use them, everyone will be sold out.  What to do?

Buy now please.  My snowblower is busted and I could use your help in diverting any December snow.  I generally find that early buying of ski passes will also bring cold rain over snow....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

i would like to thank ALL snowmobile, atv, utv, dirtbike or any other club out there that puts their time into funding trail maintenance and upkeep. without you there would be no trail for me to run, snowshoe, 4-wheel, horse ride, bimble, investigate or snowmobile. if a condition of a trail is undesirable there are options to join a club and help out with bridge making, land filling, tree pruning and paying dues...or breaking your own trail is always fun and exciting too.

Oh, the most fabulous place in the whole world is the Upper Peninsula of MI.  Endless spiderwebs of snowmobile/ATV trails.  We took our fat bikes up there this Summer and had the time of our lives.  This will be our standing family vacation until we're too old to ride, I expect.  I imagine it's snowshoe Nirvana, too.

~ Sarah Kay

Latent Runner

well now, i guess that makes you a highly intelligent and thorough individual that nobody has anything to add after you.

being a thread killer...that's what i think of thread killers. Smile

i have a pair of snowshoes...i've raced 5(maybe) times in NH. one race was the night time madbury race. there was almost no snow and lots of bare ground so snowshoes were optional. i brought mine so i wore them but many wore yak-traks...i made a small round track to snowshoe on in my yard when i have my son at home...i use a snowmobile to pack the track down that i snowshoe on...my shoes are not dions...i wear dirty girls. they keep the snow out of my sneakers and are worth the 20 bucks.

there's my narcisistic contribution.

Your narcissism works well for me.  Smile

Hmmm, Madbury, aka. Kingman Farm Moonlight; that's the same race I mentioned above (my one and only snowshoe race, so far that is).  We got some pretty heavy snow earlier in the day this year and it was all but unrunnable without showshoes.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                        • 2-mile: 13:49
                        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                        • 5-Mile: 37:24
                        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Buy now please.  My snowblower is busted and I could use your help in diverting any December snow.  I generally find that early buying of ski passes will also bring cold rain over snow....

Well, I keep reminding myself that sooner or later there will be a good snowy winter, and it's not like snowshoes go bad or I'll need a different size if I lose weight...

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I got about $100 discount on mine by buying them at the end of the season, say around late February, if cost factors into your equation.

Leah, mother of dogs

You're welcome (although I suspect you aren't using any trails in SC Alaska Wink )

I'm sure your local users thank you for also participating in trail work (actual dirt work and brushing), writing grants, and contributing and raising funds.

But when certain users use the trails in certain ways, it may preclude others from using the trail safely. It's a big management issue up here - what can the trails sustain? Do we need trails designed for the present volumes and diversity of users? probably yes. What was originally a winter trail to somebody's cabin may not be able to support 20 ATV's in a summer rainstorm.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I got about $100 discount on mine by buying them at the end of the season, say around late February, if cost factors into your equation.

The risk with this is the potential for stores to run out.  I noticed that the ones I ordered were out-of-stock already at a lot of retailers.  That's not to say that they won't get more shipments, but I didn't figure it was a risk I wanted to take and have to wait another year.

~ Sarah Kay