Virginia Tech shooting... (Read 657 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It is now estimated that over 30 people may be dead. Sad What a day of mixed emotions--on one hand I am elated for my RA friends who are running and finishing Boston, but then I keep hearing the death toll in VA growing. So sad. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

It hits home here too. I'm going to a technical school, and I keep thinking "Wow. And this could have happened here..."

Roads were made for journeys...

it is so so sad... my heart just goes out to all of the students/staff there, as well as parents with students at the school Cry
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know we have at least a few students/alum (VTHokie99 comes to mind) on RA...I wish they'd check in and let us know that they and their families are safe. k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm OK - glad I'm graduated and out of there though, because I had several classes in the building where they guy shot into the classroom. Still waiting to hear from friends from church who have kids at Tech. It's been a crazy day, with wind gusts knocking over trees, telephone poles, power lines. The power kept blinking here at work, so we couldn't get updates on what was going on and when I try to use my cell phone it tells me all the systems are busy. The power seems to be staying on now, so I've been reading all the news and just praying for people who I know are students at Tech.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, Stacie, that would make matters even more stressful--not being able to find out if everyone is safe. I keep thinking about how it would have been if something similar had happened at my alma mater. I hear that VT has a very sprawling campus with lots of commuters--that sounds very much like my school. I commuted for all the years I went there, so I kept picturing walking onto campus and not being aware of any of the events...I didn't always listen to the radio in my car on my way to school. *shudders* k

~ Sarah Kay

I am responsible for a residence hall currently and have been watching the news today with concern and a broken heart. Here at ECU, we are offering free counseling to staff and students in regards to these horrific shootings at Va Tech. I tell you we work so hard to keep the students safe, but how do you forsee something like this? All we can do now is pray for everyone involved.
                If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
                  DS checked in with us after he heard - he's on the other coast - but kids know it can happen anywhere - can't even feel safe at school. It's so sad - one of his friends wondered if certain disciplines were being targeted -i.e. engineers. They shouldn't have to be thinking about that. I don't see any realistic solutions - if someone is really determined, they are going to get in. I guess we need shoot out shelters in the schools now..

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

one of his friends wondered if certain disciplines were being targeted -i.e. engineers.
                    Gosh, I hope that's not the case--though for any reason the shootings were horrific and senseless. The thought of targeting Engineers really hits home for me, though...my DH and brother are both Engineers. Quite a few people at RA with that background, too.... I can think of few other disciplines that attract nicer people. Sad k

~ Sarah Kay

I can think of few other disciplines that attract nicer people. Sad k
                      I agree - DH is an Engineer as well

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

It's so horrible. I went to VA Tech, and seeing what was essentially my HOME for four years on CNN in this context is just incredibly sad and disturbing. I keep thinking of the victims' parents, sending their kids off to school and worrying about their safety. VT is a huge campus set in the middle of a lovely little rural town, and I always felt safe there. We all know these things can happen anywhere, but it really hits you when it's this close to home. I don't yet know of anyone who was close to one of the victims, but everyone here has friends and relatives at Tech. It's just a terribly sad day.
                          My hearts aches for the students and their families. It's such an unbelieveable tragedy Sad
                          2009: BQ?
                          shyrunner07

thoughts and prayers going out to the VTU family too... Cry my mom and grandma left yesterday for a week and a half long vacation to VA (jamestown) and SC. Not sure if they've arrived in VA yet...i'm sure this is going to color the memory of this portion of their trip....
                              It's so horrible. I went to VA Tech, and seeing what was essentially my HOME for four years on CNN in this context is just incredibly sad and disturbing. I keep thinking of the victims' parents, sending their kids off to school and worrying about their safety. VT is a huge campus set in the middle of a lovely little rural town, and I always felt safe there. We all know these things can happen anywhere, but it really hits you when it's this close to home. I don't yet know of anyone who was close to one of the victims, but everyone here has friends and relatives at Tech. It's just a terribly sad day.
                              Lisa, you said that very well - exactly how I feel. Except that I just saw that one of my former professors was one of the ones who died. Prof. Loganathan, in the civil engineering dept. I've only seen 1/2 the names so far, so I'm still waiting to hear about some of the families we know who have kids at VT now. The power is still out in most of my county (that's why I'm home now - no power at work), so communication is slow. Power at my house came on sometime during the night, so at least I'm able to watch the news conferences this morning.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just saw that one of my former professors was one of the ones who died. Prof. Loganathan, in the civil engineering dept.
                                Oh, I am so sorry. I'm sure this makes it even more *real* for you to have lost someone you knew. I heard on the radio this AM that there is belief that the shootings were the result of romantic issues and that there is still some question that the first shootings were related to the mass classroom shootings...though I can't see how they wouldn't be related. k

~ Sarah Kay