And the racing season begins.. (Read 828 times)

gimme some sugar, baby

My racing season officially begins this Sunday at the Colonial Half Marathon in Williamsburg, VA and then three weeks later at the Shamrock Marathon (my first ever marathon) in Virginia Beach, VA. I'm very psyched! I can't wait to see all of the hard training I've been doing over the winter pay off! I'll let you guys know how it goes. Best of luck to everyone else who is opening things up in the spring. George
    George: Runner/Law Student
    www.gimme-five.com
      Good luck with your first marathon! You've got your long runs in, you've been training hard, you're all set. One thing to get used to is the taper--the last week, especially, will generate "taper madness". If you get it, just know that it is normal. You may question your preparedness, your health, whatever. I average three marathons a year, and get it every time. With me, it's always "What's that twinge I feel?" "What's that new ache?", etc. Generally, it's nothing, but your head can play games with you the week before a marathon. BTW--do you have a projected finish time?
      My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

gimme some sugar, baby

Thanks Pron8r! I'll definitely keep the taper madness in mind. As for finishing time, I'm really not sure. I try not to get too caught up in mile splits and whatnot and try to run my races by feel, but I think I have a pretty good chance at running around 2:45, hopefully. It will be a great experience regardless, and definitely something I have on my list of things to do in my lifetime.
        www.gimme-five.com

You'll ruin your knees!

Gooooooo George! We are anxious to hear about your races. I agree with Pron8r's comments on taper madness...it gives you lots of time to GO NUTS! 8 Ball Good luck, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Good luck Geroge! Just like Pron8r said, trust your training during your taper and stick to your taper schedule. I checked out your log, and you'll definitely do great! eric Smile

gimme some sugar, baby

Colonial Half Marathon: Huge Success. I ended up getting 9th place in 1:13:53. The day began cold and windy... temperature during the race rose up to about 40-43 degrees, but coupled with 15/20mph winds, it was pretty rough out there. The leaders took off way faster than me and I started the race in about 20th place. I eventually worked my way up to a pack and a lot of guys fell apart early. After about mile 4 I had dropped everyone I was running with and was stuck alone, but I was able to reel in a really hurting kenyan dude which was pretty cool. But that was at mile six, so after that it was solo time the rest of the race. I ran pretty much even splits the whole way too... you guys can check out my running log if you'd like and see the entry. I also took GU at mile 10... it felt pretty good although I couldn't get it open cause my hands were so cold so I had to use my teeth. But I didn't litter, I handed it to someone who was giving out water and asked them to throw it away so that was cool. Anyways, I'm on an endorphin high right now so I'm going to take a shower, otherwise I'll write a novel on here. Thanks so much eric for making such a great log and thanks everyone else for the advice and support. Keep it real everybody!
              www.gimme-five.com
              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

congratulations George! That was an awesome time! It looked like you ran a very even pace. It's great to hear that you caught up to a Kenyan. Doesn't matter if he was hurting or not. You don't get many chances to pass them during a race Big grin You'll do great in the marathon. Just make sure you stick with the taper! Good luck!!! eric Smile

The Floor Walker

Hey George, That's a fierce PR for the Half, Congrats!!!! I just ran my first race of the year and first Half on Sunday at the Hyannis Half Marathon with a time of 1:20:27. I was really shooting for around 1:18ish but the bitter cold and huge gusts of wind really put a damper on that plan. Despite the weather I felt strong the whole way, went out a bit conservative and picked up the last half of the race. I felt like I could've kept going at 6min. pace for another 5miles at least, so that is definitely a promising sign for my next half and then Boston. George, I noticed in your race entry you list your shoe as the Asics 2100! Did you really race a 1:13 in trainers!?! Also, what is the difference between a maintenance run and an easy run? I don't mean to pry but I think this sharing running log feature is a great way to learn from others' training. With your fierce PR, I was definitely interested in viewing your trainingSmile Rock On, Matt
                    Well done, George, well done! You should be on a high--and for more than a day or two. That was a great time, great placing, especially in less-than-ideal conditions. How many runners overall? Last year there were about 1200 as I recall. I'd say that makes your top ten finish even that much more impressive! You are more than ready for your marathon in three weeks. You'll do great, and we can't wait to hear the results. Congrats again.
                    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

gimme some sugar, baby

Hey, thanks a bunch guys, I really appreciate it! I accidentally listed asics 2100s... I actually wore the asics gel tiger paws which I just changed on my log. That would be pretty crazy to run that fast in trainers Smile. In terms of Maintenance runs and easy runs, sometimes I forget to change it over, but the intention is that on days where I'm really only looking for recovery (today) and not pushing at all, I call it an easy run. Sometimes I run with my girlfriend too, so we usually take it easy together (she's incredibly fast though) so I call those days easy days usually. Most of the time if I feel like I'm sufficiently recovered beforehand I'll just call it a MR. Since I'm running 70 miles per week for the first time in my life these past few weeks, and I used to take one day a week off, I don't quite have the time anymore, so I try to fit in an easy run instead of a day off to get the mileage done with for the week sometimes. As for number of people... I'm not quite sure. I think there were around 1000 to 1500, not sure though. Part of the course you run back and there are tons of people that are still coming the other direction and it's really a crazy feeling seeing so many people telling you good job. It's really intense stuff. Congrats on your half marathon, Matt, that's great! Definitely great luck to all those who are running boston and other races this spring. Let's definitely keep each other posted on the details. Pax, George
                      www.gimme-five.com