Asics Gel-Kayano (Read 544 times)

meislesd

I used the Asics Gel-Kayano running shoes for about 5 years, until in 2009 they changed the lacing so that it was assymetrical. The change really bothered my ankle and I have been using different shoes since. However, I'm intereseted in swtiching back to the Kayano's. Does anybody know if the lacing is the same or if it went back to normal?

I used the Asics Gel-Kayano running shoes for about 5 years, until in 2009 they changed the lacing so that it was assymetrical. The change really bothered my ankle and I have been using different shoes since. However, I'm intereseted in swtiching back to the Kayano's. Does anybody know if the lacing is the same or if it went back to normal?

You can see the 360 degree view here: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-AKA18M1.html

I'm curious however how the lacing can possibly bother your ankle...

Redesigned Asymmetrical Lacing: The Kayano 18 still has an asymmetrical lacing system that contours to the top of the foot, but it is not quite as angled as the laces on prior generations.

See HERE.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I've been running in Kayanos for the past 18 months.  The fit of the assymetrical lacing was one of the things I personally liked on the 16's and 17's, to each his own.  I don't have the newly-released 18's, but visually they do appear to have a somewhat more linear lacing system than my current pairs.  I doubt that I'll find out soon as I stockpiled when the 17's hit clearance at RW.

As an aside, there was a period of a week or so where I started to get soreness on the top of my foot (closer to my ankle than my toes) after longer runs.  After experimenting, I found that I was lacing a little too tightly.  Made a slight adjustment and have had no issues since then (many months).  IMO, this had nothing to do with the shoe design and was entirely user trial-and-error.  I bring this up in case your ankle issue was similar...