Why stretch? (Read 690 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

so if I don't need to stretch then I should just let my IT band feel tight? this issue is soo confusing!

The Greatest of All Time

Now maybe DW will get off my back! The only time I stretch is after my morning runs while standing in the hot tub and then it's very gentle stretching. I have never believed in stretching cold muscles prior to running. It never made sense to me.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Oh Mighty Wing

Think there are different reasons to stretch? I guess my issue is that normally I am not a stretcher. I do fine without stretching... but with my knee gap issue my PT was having me stretch 2x a day, i'm assuming it was because my muscles were tightened up. And the stretching felt great. But once the stretching stopped producing the good feelings I stopped stretching. So maybe stretching is good for muscles that are tightened up to help them relax. But not necessary for muscles that aren't giving you any trouble?
          As a relatively new runner, I'm still learning about all things running. I'd have to say though that for me personally stretching is great before a run. I will often run early in the morning but find that I'm quite stiff when I first get out of bed (no smirks on that comment please...I'm a girl so it's not what you think!!! Blush). My back, hammies, achilles and calves can be quite tight first thing. I've had problems on and off in the past year with my hips and legs and find that combined with regular massage & core strength exercises, stretching is fantastic. I'll quite often have several quick stretches before bed if I'm running in the morning, and take a bit longer to stretch my legs & back before I run. All of those things combined have so far (TOUCHWOOD!!!) prevented another injury.

Junior Amphibian

I'm naturally quite flexible and I do some yoga, but I never stretch before or after my runs. I noticed that when I stretch legs, especially the calves, my stride becomes "flat" and my muscles tire more easily. I firmly believe that overstretching in conjunction with running can do FAR MORE damage than not stretching at all, so I plan my stretching sessions at least 24 hours before my next run. I also suffer from a sporadic ITBS but I don't think it's caused by tight muscles at all. In my case, it seems to be more related to leg length discrepancy and relatively weak hip flexors. I believe that stretching the ITB relieves symptoms only temporarily and doesn't really address the underlying problem. Otherwise, every runner who doesn't stretch would have it.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Seems like some have to stretch...some don't. And just a little observation about people stretching-most people I see on the track or in the gym or whatever-they over do it. The article about the guy with arthritis in his joints sitting in lotus-he probably shouldn't be doing lotus (he CAN do yoga, just better stuff for his knees/arthritis). People (myself included) don't know the meaning of the word capacity. For me it is less about stretching, and more about loosening joints and glands and eccentric work. Some days I practice an hour of yoga prior to running, some days I don't. I have never really paid attention to the difference...until today. Yesterday I did not practice prior to my long run. I ran at an easy pace, and by mile 5 I was done (and still had 5 to go). I ran all 10, but it wasn't as enjoyable as usual, and I felt really stiff-especially in my hip flexors, piriformis, and all gluteus muscles. Today I was to run a recovery run. 4 or 5 miles at even slower than my easy pace. I practiced an hour of yoga prior, and had an amazing run. I ran 5.5-not only faster than my easy pace (which was easier than yesterday's slower pace) but I also threw in striders-and glided... So, a little self experiment. I am going to document my running and yoga and see what the outcome is. Could be nothing. Could be really beneficial to me (but obviously, doesn't mean it would work for everyone). MTA: Grammar. Though I am sure I didn't catch them all...