Old Man Winter's just around the corner... (Read 1040 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...at least here in MI. So it got me to thinking...how do you dress for the weather once the snow begins to fall (which can ocurr right around Halloween in a typical year)? I was thinking that I will do layers...polypro tights and shirts, fleece, wind pants, windbreakers, etc. Any specific gear that I should keep an eye out for? I'm even wondering if I might want a pair or trail shoes for Winter--perhaps in a half-size larger to accomodate a thicker sock...? Also, do you tend to ease up on your training a bit? I will have several months with no races, but in mid-May will be doing a 25k. What might be a reasonable course of action for the worst months of Dec.-through-Feb.? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Zoom, where in Michigan? I'm in the South Lyon area. I run all winter, especially out at Maybury and Island Lake State Park, as well as Kensington Metro. My neighborhood is not bad for during the week, just a bit slushy as we have no sidewalks. I highly recommend a pair of trail shoes, as they will hold up a little longer than regular running shoes in the snoe/slush/mush. Always layer, as you will definitly heat up quickly, especially when it's sunny with snow on the ground (the snow acts as a heat reflector on those days!!). I have a pair of polypro tights that are windproof on the front side of the legs. REI is where I got them at a good price and, except for the coldest of mornings, this is all I wear (with a good pair of windproof undies, of course Big grin). When it does get that crisp, I'll throw on a pair of gore-tex running pants (got a full gore-tex outfit on clearance from Road Runner Sports about 7 years ago for less than $150 and it's still going strong). As for the top, I do a long sleeve polypro, with maybe one of those tighter fitting cool max t-shirts underneath. Add a windbreaker for most days, the gore-tex jacket for the frigid ones. some decent gloves and knit hat, all good to go! THis is the time of year to get some good deals on winter clothing from "last year", right before places are getting the new stuff.
      Run long, run strong
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

THis is the time of year to get some good deals on winter clothing from "last year", right before places are getting the new stuff.
        That's kinda what I was thinking, too. It seems strange to be thinking about Winter, but already I can tell the days are getting noticeably shorter, so before I know it Winter will be HERE! I'm over on the West side of the state, north of Muskegon. I hear you on the slush, too. We have some nice bike trails, but I don't think most of them get plowed, since snowmobilers use them (not sure I want to be running on them when the snowmobiles are out, either). I think by the time I wear my next pair of shoes out it will be time to look at trail shoes. k

~ Sarah Kay

Why is winter analgous to an old man? Confused Kids these days!

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why is winter analgous to an old man? Confused Kids these days!
            Heh, but we still blame that tramp Mother Nature when it gets too hot and humid around here, too...heck, she gets blamed for inclement weather year-round. That old guy should be happy he only gets a season (though it is admittedly a very LONG season around these parts...). Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Good points, Kirsten. I'll concede to you here. Is that what's meant by that was one mother of a storm?? ha ha. Winter here in western NY (snow belt just south of Buffalo) gets long and dreary sometimes. I do run all winter with enough base mileage to kick-start my spring and summer mileage. Our treadmill is very handy sometimes.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Winter here in western NY (snow belt just south of Buffalo) gets long and dreary sometimes. I do run all winter with enough base mileage to kick-start my spring and summer mileage. Our treadmill is very handy sometimes.
                Ooh, so you get Winters very much like ours--complete with lake-effect snow. I actually kind of like it, since we still stay "warmer" than folks in the plains states and I like the snow. I will probably let my mileage decrease a bit over the Winter, but not TOO much--gonna have Holiday pounds to keep at bay. Plus I am planning on a 10k race in Feb., a 15k in March, a 10mi. in April, then a 25k in May (my big race of the year, unless I get brave enough to brave a full marathon next Fall)...by then it will be warm weather running season, again. k

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

One of my friends pointed out that you know the weather at where you live sucks when on the first day of spring, the first thing that comes to mind is a few more months and it'll be winter again and then you get even more depressed. I find it very true, and several people mentioned to me that was what they thought of. I'm sure the winters here in Boston is nothing compared to the midwest, but we like to think it's pure misery here. One thing I do differently during the winter is I run at noon instead of after work, unless it's a club run. I can stand the cold, the dark, and the loneliness, but not all three at the same time. Running at noon has the added advantage of getting the extra bit of sunlight if you work in an office environment. It really helps if SAD is an issue during the winter. As to what to wear, I have the same shoes all year round. I don't find it cold once you get moving, except if the temperature goes below 0 F and a strong wind. It takes the body a little while to get acclamated to the cold, so it helps if you run outside all year round. I put on multiple layers, with a windbreaker as the outermost layer. I have tights of different thickness that would keep me warm in a couple temperature ranges (40-20F, 20-0F). Anything below 0 I just double them up. The one thing I find useful is having zippers on the outer layers. For example, on a 10 degree day, I would have an Underarmor long sleeve, then a lightweight shirt, with a fleece shirt and then the windbreaker. All except the Underarmor have zippers that can go down at least part way. This way, you can adjust the zippers to keep you at the right temperature so you won't sweat too much and then freeze later. Having a good non-wicking first layer is very important because that keeps you dry. You might also look into a hat (or just something to protect your ears), and a neck gaitor that you can use to put up to your face. As for training, you do go a little slower in the winter because your body needs to divert some of the energy to keep warm. You're also carrying several pounds worth of clothes. I run in races year round. They really help in the winter because they breaks up the monotony. I have to stop talking about it. I'm already getting depressed thinking it's only a couple of months away...
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think your winters are a lot like ours...about the only difference is that our streets and sidewalks don't get plowed well as they do in a more metropolitan area, so most of my runs may very well be through snow and slush--which is the main reason I am considering trail shoes of some sort...anything to help keep my feet a bit dryer. Hubby recommended Gore-Tex socks, too. I'm definitely planning on the hat thing--partly to keep my ears warm, but also to help wick sweat away. I already wear a hat or visor on every run and it really helps keep sweat out of my eyes. So you wouldn't wear a wicking layer against your skin, then a more absorbant one away from the skin? SAD...that stuff is the worst. I once heard a statisitic that the Western side of MI actually has the highest # of cloudy days/year--even compared to the Seattle area. Some years I would definitely believe it. That lake does produce a lot of clouds. Most of my runs will be during the day (late AM while DS is in school). I also have some tanning bed minutes if I am desperate for 5-10 minutes of warmth and UV-promoting vitamin D. Speaking of SAD and the workplace, years ago I worked in a darkroom. I was at work in a windowless building, literally "in the dark" (old-school film commercial studio and lab), from about 8:30AM to 5:30 PM. I was lucky to see a half hour of daylight on my morning commute. That was 5 of the most miserable months of my life before I quit (didn't pay particularly well and I was sick of the 45 minute drive, anyhow).

~ Sarah Kay

Maybe I can run during sunlight hous during winter without getting fried alive. I look forward to winter.
                      Run more.
                        I am in Toronto and get the same type of winters as the Up State NY and Michigan areas. Well maybe not as bad as Buffalo - those poor souls. This will be my first winter of serious running and wanted to say thanks for the advice on the clothing and shoe issues. The most important question I have is for zoom-zoom - What beverage is in that huge glass you are holding? Whatever it is - it's making you smile. Maybe you should pack some of that into a wine flask and take it on those cold winter runs ... Dead
                        FDYYZ
                        Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

The most important question I have is for zoom-zoom - What beverage is in that huge glass you are holding? Whatever it is - it's making you smile. Maybe you should pack some of that into a wine flask and take it on those cold winter runs ... Dead
                          She doesn't need anymore encouragement. Big grin I don't know what's in that magic glass, but she talked about filling her CamelPak with beer for her long run once. Smile

Prophet!

winter here in hawaii is when temperature drops to about low to mid 70s ....brrrrrrrr....i might have to wear a shirt to go running Smile ...of course we still have to watch out for rain of biblical proportion like we had last fall (42 days straight of rain...those poor tourists).
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The most important question I have is for zoom-zoom - What beverage is in that huge glass you are holding? Whatever it is - it's making you smile. Maybe you should pack some of that into a wine flask and take it on those cold winter runs ... Dead
                              Oh, hah! I think that was Newcastle Brown Ale...man, if I filled my Camelbak with that I don't think I'd feel any pain during a run...probably wouldn't care about finishing time, or even IF I finished, either, LOL! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...of course we still have to watch out for rain of biblical proportion like we had last fall (42 days straight of rain...those poor tourists).
                                Hey, aren't you guys technically a rainforest? Guess you don't mess around with the rain part, huh... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay