Question for the ladies... (Read 1498 times)

Baby bean!

How do you deal with running and your...ahem...aunt who comes over unannounced and overstays her welcome? Wink The thought of trudging along tomorrow morning just does not bring a smile to my face and it's the first time since I got back into it that I am feeling this. I don't want to skip it b/c that is setting a bad precedent (sp). Do I just face the fact that I will not be at my most optimal level?

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

A run actually helps me deal with menstrual symptoms. I never really feel enthusiastic about going out for a run when I have cramps, a headache and that bloaty feeling, but once I drag myself out the door, it makes me feel much better. If your run isn't optimal - no worries. You'll have a better go the next time.
      -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.

Non ducor, duco.

Sushigirl AF makes me fast . I used to hit tennis balls but now there is nothing like pounding out some miles to make your symptoms better. Hope it works that way for you too.

De-slacking in progress

Whats all the womens health stuff got to do with the problem with her Aunt coming over for a visit? Big grin

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Just Be

Whats all the womens health stuff got to do with the problem with her Aunt coming over for a visit? Shocked
            The Aunt is a pseudonym. Big grin

A Saucy Wench

sushi...I am sluggish during AF. I run anyway. If I skipped running anytime I might not be optimum I would never run. I usually feel better afterwards and any run is better than none. The last thing I need is to pile the self negativity that comes with skipping a workout on top of af

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Lisa3.1

Hi Sushigirl Come to the Ladies Locker Room
                  I am married and have sisters, but have never heard of AF. _____ Friend? Unlikely A=Annual. Aunt ____?

Me and my RP

I've never gotten used to the whole AF- Aunt Flo thing. I've always just said I've got my period..that's it. I don't mince words namely because I'm already pissed that I've got my period and it feels better to say" I've got my PERIOD!!" as opposed to, Aunt Flo is visiting or, I've got the painters in, or whatever silly phrase can be thought up. Back to the question.. I agree with the PP. I run anyway and feel much better afterwards. I don't suffer too badly from cramps and such but I think that has much to do with the fact that I am very active. The first day is usually the worst but a nice long run, a few Midol (and admittedly, a couple glasses of wine in the evening) and I'm good. I only dread LSRs if my period is really heavy. I don't normally take bathroom breaks in 3 or 4 hour runs but sometimes when I am in that phase of my cycle, I don't have a choice.
                      Thanks. Flo ... that's clever because ... well, you know I get it. Not "it," but what Flo refers to.

The young Mama Bear!

During that time of the month, I just stick with it. It doesn't make me faster or slower, but I have not experienced even one cramp...and I usually get pretty bad cramps! Just use good tampons and go for it! (Sorry if that's too much for some but there's no un-TMI way to put that!)
                        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

Jazz hands!

I've never gotten used to the whole AF- Aunt Flo thing. I've always just said I've got my period..that's it.
                          I like to say that the communists have invaded, but that's because I'm weird. I usually don't run on my heaviest day (also the day with the cramps). I've tried. It doesn't work, I'm slow and miserable the whole way. Everything is much better if I just give myself that day off and get back to it the next day. Besides, you shouldn't take ibuprofen before a run.
                          run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                            yeah, ITA with everyone else...run through it. I do mostly because it seems I start my period the day before or the day of any big race I have scheduled Roll eyes and I want to be able to deal with it and not use it for an excuse in a race report.

Jennifer mm#1231

A run actually helps me deal with menstrual symptoms. I never really feel enthusiastic about going out for a run when I have cramps, a headache and that bloaty feeling, but once I drag myself out the door, it makes me feel much better. If your run isn't optimal - no worries. You'll have a better go the next time.
                              What she said. I feel so much better after a run with aunt flo is in town.
                              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

TRIing to beat the heat!

Adding to the whole... run through it. AF's visit isn't really all that much of an issue for me.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL