Bad Elevation Point, explanation request. (Read 763 times)

Jeffrey

I found a public map that I would like to generate an elevation for. When I click the arrow to start the profile I get an error message that says "This map contains a bad elevation point. The elevation will not be displayed." Here is a link to the map: http://www.runningahead.com/maps/2dbf0dcbaf8149808186d6e66268ddc9 Any idea how I can "fix" the map and generate an elevation? Thanks! Smile
    Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Hi I pasted the URL you gave into a new window and the elevation toggle worked fine. Maybe you could do the same and then recopy the route? Strange things computers ... probably a feature that Mr Gates added to make our lives more fulfiilled. Regards Neil

Running ... just keep running!

Jeffrey

Interesting. Your mentioning Gates prompted me to try my PC computer. Must be a hardware/software thing because the link worked on my PC [win98, IE]. I was getting the error on my Mac computer [osX, Safari].
        Mr Gates

Why is it sideways?

FIREFOX, brotha.
          eric :)

Hi squidboy, I'm not sure why Safari thinks there's a bad elevation point for that particular map. I couldn't reproduce it, but I'm using Internet Explorer. Here's the explanation for the error message. The elevation data is obtained from USGS. Occasionally, USGS would return a questionable value, probably because there's no data for that location. If the elevation code tries to plot that data value, everything would blow up. I could work around it, but even then, the elevation graph will still be skewed by that bad point. So instead of trying to rectify the situation and create an obviously wrong profile, I decided to not render it at all. Going back to Safari, I don't know what the problem is because I don't have a Mac. Generally, Safari doesn't play nice with the mapping code. Firefox tends to work better. eric Smile
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I get it with Safari, too, but if I click on the elevation box again it will regenerate the elevation map without any problem. I do find that most of RA's features work better with Firefox (including smilies and other text formatting), but I manually work around most glitches, since I find Safari to be much faster than FF. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

eric :)

I get it with Safari, too, but if I click on the elevation box again it will regenerate the elevation map without any problem. I do find that most of RA's features work better with Firefox (including smilies and other text formatting), but I manually work around most glitches, since I find Safari to be much faster than FF. k
                When you regenerate the data for a problematic elevation profile, the problem might not reappear. Just be sure to save the map after the update.