If anyone just tosses their medals... (left overs from races?) Can I have them? (Read 1485 times)

Treadmill Addict

I know most of you cherish your medals. I know I do, I hang them all on my wall, even the not so fancy ones. But if you have medals you don't care about that are laying around, can I have them? Or, maybe there is someone here who is a race organizer who has medals that they are just throwing away?

I'm organizing a very small 5k just for our family reunion this summer. (It will include some of the kids from the small town nearby as well.) The kids will range from just a few years old to about 13. I think there will be about 10-15 kids total. 

I would love to be able to give them all a medal. They don't have to match and it doesn't even matter what kind, I just think they would think it would be really awesome to have a "real" medal. For the next years, if this one is successful maybe I'll get some medals made, but I don't know how expensive that is or if it can be done on a small scale. 

I know most people really love their medals, but I thought I'd ask for the kids. Smile 

Just PM me if you have any, I'd gladly pay shipping for them to get to me! 

ETA- I apologize if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't quite sure where to put this. 

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

Kalsarikännit

That's a cute idea, Sarah. Nothing wrong with giving a 10 year old a pat on the back. If it makes a kid happy and gives them something to run for then it ends up as a positive for our sport. PM me your address and I will send one. I already found a cute one. It looks like a record. Have fun explaining to a 10 year old what a record is.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I have medals I could donate.  Send me a note of where to send them.  I will also cover costs of shipping.

I think this is a wonderful thing to do!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have medals I could donate.  Send me a note of where to send them.  I will also cover costs of shipping.

I think this is a wonderful thing to do!

+ 1. Will email my club members.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Treadmill Addict

You guys are seriously awesome. Gives me goosebumps that you'd be willing to donate medals! I'll PM you! 

Sarah (37)

What a wonderful thing you are doing. While I don't have a medal to donate (have yet to earn one) please give all those kids a pat on the back on behalf of all of us RAers. Good fitness habits starting early will go a long way. Good luck!

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange. -- skyedog

Treadmill Addict

What a wonderful thing you are doing. While I don't have a medal to donate (have yet to earn one) please give all those kids a pat on the back on behalf of all of us RAers. Good fitness habits starting early will go a long way. Good luck!

Thank you, I will for sure! And I agree, showing them how to have fun and be healthy at the same time is much more effective than just telling them what to do. 

I'm still looking for a few more medals if anyone has some. I think I have almost enough, I counted 19 kids so far that have emailed their race "registration" to me. (I sent out a cute little pretend registration email to all the kids.) I'm going to get some Tyvek type of paper and print them each a personalized bib and do a "packet pickup" the day before. 

Sarah (37)

Oh roo roooo!

Send me your address and I can send you 2 more medals if you're still looking. I think this is cool, too!

Beth

Still need some medals?  How many?  And you want the ribbons as well, correct?  If you still need, pm me your address.  I gave all of my HM and marathon medals to Medals4Mettle.org but I've got some Warrior Dash and 8K medals. 

And if you want non running medals (baseball), I can help you out more.

Treadmill Addict

I am SO impressed with the kindness and generosity that this group has shown. I have received even more medals than we need. And they aren't cheap medals, you guys sent me SUCH awesome medals! I honestly am so grateful. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! The kids are going to be super surprised and happy to get them.

The race is on Saturday. I think total we will have about 25-30 runners, and we have about 5 extra medals, which is great in case we have a few extra show up. I'm busy creating bibs in photoshop, complete with personalized racing names, we've got some cute swag bags ready, we're making racing shirts on Friday with puff paint, I'm making posters and getting a helium balloon tank to make a balloon arch for the finish line (if it's not to windy!), I'm getting the water stations and otter pop station ready, and I'm sure I'm leaving out something...but it's going to be awesome. The course will have to be a small loop several times around the cabin area, the main road is going to be too busy for the kids to run on I think. 

I will be posting lots of pics and a video of the event. To those who sent medals, I'm really completely touched and inspired by you being so willing to make an effort to mail the medals, and to be a huge part of this event. The medals will be a surprise at the end, I will just let them pick one that they like from the table. I'm just so thankful. I will be mailing some thank you cards for sure. Smile You are an amazing and wonderful group of runners. 

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. (and watch for the post with the video next week!) Smile

Sarah (37)

Treadmill Addict

Honeypig and Pink- Thank you so much, but I have enough for sure. You guys are all amazing. Smile

Sarah (37)

so this means you got my package of medals!  I just hope the kids have fun and enjoy the day this weekend!

Such a wonderful act of kindness to organize this for the kids.  so THANK YOU!  Big grin

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Be careful Sarah, you may find yourself RD for an annual race of thousands in five years! Smile

Sounds like a great event; good luck!