New! Garmin Forerunner 620/220 (Read 831 times)

Knowing Garmin, I wonder how many of the touted features actually work.

DaBurger

Knowing Technology, I wonder how many of the touted features actually work.

cmon now, be fair.

Know thyself.

cmon now, be fair.

Well, if you followed the 910xt forums I think you would find my comments well founded.  I have a 310xt and 910xt and only got the 910xt because of the Virtual Racer feature which works for 2 mile runs but doesn't work for 10 mile runs.  Don't know where the line of demarcation is between working and not working.  There are many features on the 910xt that actually worked better on the 305 and many others that don't work at all.  Garmin is aware of the problems and has been for more than a year and still hasn't fixed them.

It is scary to realize that you can go for a run and use/test a certain feature that seems to work, but then later go for a longer run and have that same feature not work any more.  It is not possible to test every feature for every distance within the warranty period.

I can only suggest that you try to thoroughly test (within the warranty period) each feature that you find to be a must have, and test those features over the distances that are meaningful to you.

DaBurger

sorry was saying that goes for ALL technology companies

Know thyself.

I was excited about the live tracking until I read that it requires a phone within blue tooth range.  Bummer.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I was excited about the live tracking until I read that it requires a phone within blue tooth range.  Bummer.

Or piquing the interest of the NSA.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

lagwagon

Knowing Garmin, I wonder how many of the touted features actually work.

main thing preventing me from preordering is concern about the launch firmware, especially with all these new features, many of which are more sizzle than steak.  would love to read through their market research to see how the came up with these other features.

bloatware notwithstanding, the new watches look like they have an awesome form factor...this plus wifi and bluetooth are good enough for me (needing a new watch anyway).

Dreamn

My 305 sure does need replacing, especially with the battery not holding up these days.

bloatware notwithstanding, the new watches look like they have an awesome form factor...this plus wifi and bluetooth are good enough for me (needing a new watch anyway).

I actually don't much like the form factor.  I prefer the more rectangular faces of the 305/310/910 etc than the more circular ones.  With the square faces it is easier to show data fields with a bit larger font.  The circular ones chop off those corners so that there is less display area. When the probable 920xt comes out I hope it will retain the more squared off face.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Holy crap.  I have no idea if the new features actually work or if I would even use them, but those are bright and shiny and I want to weave them into my nest immediately.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

northernman

Fight The Future

I like my 610 quite a bit, but it is annoying that Garmin has refused multiple requests to fix the "time out" problem, where you cannot leave the watch turned on and locked on to satellites before the race starts without it going into sleep mode on you. Wonder if they bothered to fix that in the new ones? Also wish it could just point in the direction of your start point, as the old 305 used to do.

Send it to me and I'll make sure our cross counrty team gets it Big grin

I thinking on donating my 310xt to my local high school. Do you think they might need it?Smile

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

AerisAmethyst

I like my 610 quite a bit, but it is annoying that Garmin has refused multiple requests to fix the "time out" problem, where you cannot leave the watch turned on and locked on to satellites before the race starts without it going into sleep mode on you. Wonder if they bothered to fix that in the new ones? Also wish it could just point in the direction of your start point, as the old 305 used to do.

Supposedly there is a setting now for "normal" or "extended" mode, where extended mode will leave the gps on without timing out.  This is discussed in the comments to the DC Rainmaker review linked in the OP.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is apparently the 220 doesn't have the "last lap time" feature.  When I'm running a race I really like being able to see my previous mile split on the screen.  It's long past time to upgrade my old 305, but I don't think I can justify the price tag on the 620...

SMART Approach

I find myself using my old 305 more than my 610 lately. I don't care for touch screen of 610. Of course, I will have to upgrade to the 610 and being a numbers freak, I will have to get the new HR strap also. It looks very comfortable. The one I have now digs into my upper ab muscles if I run more than 6 miles and scabs over.  A $500 running investment on its way as a gift to myself!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

The one I have now digs into my upper ab muscles if I run more than 6 miles and scabs over. 

Another reason why my routine specifically excludes core & strength work...obviously doing these workouts causes many overuse injuries. Black eye  I think the new HR monitor and stride metrics sound really cool...not that they'll make any difference in my running...but who am I to let practicality get in the way of innovative technology that I must own.