Is it good to run everyday or to have rest days? (Read 3841 times)

Jess Causley

I was wondering if it is good to run everyday? Will I get more out of my training if I have rest days? Or will I in the long run be better from running lots of kms? I find it easier to run everyday as I need to make it a part of my routin.

I am 34, with four kids and I run for fun and sanity and I am not good. But I do want to run a half marathon in July and I can only run 11 km now.

Any advice?

an amazing likeness

Jess,

There is no one answer.  There are folks here at RunningAHEAD who run every day and have for years -- they have streaks of hundreds of days. There are other who find that their body recovers best with a day off every now and then, and then others who find they do best with regular days off.

In other words, it is very individual and you have to figure out what works best for you. 

Running more miles per week will help your half marathon training, if it takes more days to get to more miles, that is one solution.  Keep in mind you don't have to think just in terms of weeks, you can approach it in 10 day cycles and take 2 days per 10 off, or 21 day cycles and take 3 days per 21 off, or whatever works.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

As the Milk man said, it varies. For example, I don't like to not exercise on a day (unless I'm feeling really lazy). So I run a few days in a row, then I will cross train for a day or so (particularly if my legs feel like they need the break). Also varying your runs so you have some easy days, perhaps alternating between hard and easy runs (or even if your doing intervals, fartleks, etc).

As long as you ease in to whatever you decide you want to do, you should be fine. The most important thing is to listen to your body! If your body is telling you it can't go out for the 8th day in a row, listen to it. THIS is the best way to avoid injury Smile

In terms of the half marathon, you CAN run one by only doing 4 runs a week, people have done it. But that's not to say that YOU can. It's a bit like a game of trial and error, you need to find what's best for you and what suits your lifestyle (times, availability, etc).

And I'm sorry, because I know when people post with a question they want an answer, not some vague statements :P

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

It certainly takes time to get used to running every day, and whilst you're building up mileage there's probably a lot to be said for giving your legs a rest every so often. The main thing is to listen to your body. If your legs feel sore or particularly heavy or tired then a rest (or some cross training) is probably in order. Generally speaking the more the run the faster you'll get... but pushing beyond what you body can tolerate is a recipe for injury (which ultimately will force you to take days off).

Most elite runners run everyday, but by no means all - for example Paula Radcliffe operates a 7days on/ 1 day off routine and she's the marathon world record holder.

Jess Causley

thanks for all advice. Great!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Running more miles per week will help your half marathon training, if it takes more days to get to more miles, that is one solution.  Keep in mind you don't have to think just in terms of weeks, you can approach it in 10 day cycles and take 2 days per 10 off, or 21 day cycles and take 3 days per 21 off, or whatever works.

Jess doesn't run miles; she runs kilometers (or kilometres).

Jess doesn't run miles; she runs kilometers (or kilometres).

I too run kilometres (not kilometers). I find them much more exciting than miles Wink

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

There is no one answer.  There are folks here at RunningAHEAD who run every day and have for years -- they have streaks of hundreds of days. There are other who find that their body recovers best with a day off every now and then, and then others who find they do best with regular days off.

In other words, it is very individual and you have to figure out what works best for you.

And even after you've found the answer for yourself ... your body isn't static -- what works best for you today probably won't be optimal a year from now.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I don't think I'm going to say anything that people haven't said already, but the key for determining the answer for me was the fact that if my legs are sore from running I will be significantly more sore the following day, and the day after that, than I would have been if I had two days of easy runs with a good stretch. 

I too run kilometres (not kilometers). I find them much more exciting than miles Wink

I have completely dumped the kilometres measurement and only use miles now, but the struggle I have is pounds.  Every time my weight goes up or down I divide by 2.2.  I still use centimetres.

Loves the outdoors

I can't cope with miles. They take so much longer to finish than km.

I run every day these days and I have found that I feel more rested now than I used to running 5 days a week. However, this wouldn't work without ensuring that 1 or 2 of my weekly runs are run very slowly and are not very long.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I ramped up over the past three years from three days a week to seven.  The only way to make it happen was to get up early in the morning.  Now I'm a bit sad when life gets in the way of my daily run.

keeponrunning

LIke everyone else said, it really depends on the person.  I find I run best at 5X a week running.  I also find my legs recover best after a hard workout if I do a very easy run the next day.  My legs are still recovering from a hard workout on Tuesday, and I had to do a slightly easier than planned run tonight.  I am fairly certain I would have recovered in time for tonight's workout had I run Wednesday, but the weather got in the way (freezing rain followed by snow the night before, very slippery)

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Jess Causley

I think I will do an easy run tomorrow. It is great to see what everyone thinks about this. Thanks!

Just worked out I need to add one km to my "long" run every week to make the half marathon 3rd of July. Then I have four spare weeks.

I think I will do an easy run tomorrow. It is great to see what everyone thinks about this. Thanks!

Just worked out I need to add one km to my "long" run every week to make the half marathon 3rd of July. Then I have four spare weeks.

If you goal is to run a half marathon then don't worry about running every day.  Your key is to work on running longer which is where I think you are headed. 

I've done the streak thing and the problem is it becomes very addictive.  You may have a 200 day streak going and have the flu like I did and go out like a knucklehead and run that day.  I run almost everyday now because my body has morphed to that and seems to like it.  Plus I want to get faster and this allows me to get more miles in.  If you truly want to just run the half then run 3-4 days a week with everyday being easy and then run a long run on the weekend. 

What I do think you should do is build up your long run 2 weeks say 15km, 17km and then step back a week to 11km.  Then you build up another two weeks 17km, 19km and then step back to 15km.  It is good to give you body a rest. 

After you conquer the half, which is a great accomplishment in itself then you can decide, do I want to run that faster or do I want to try a marathon.  We are all here to help you along this awesome journey.  Good luck

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                                • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                                • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon