2014 Sub 19 5k Thread (Read 341 times)

Walk-Jogger

. . .

Got mine this morning, barely, 18:57 and 2nd place overall (gotta love small races!). Big grin  This was with zero competition as well, I ran the entire race by myself, it's really hard to push yourself when you're running solo. lol  Hoping to back it up next weekend at my next 5k with some competition this time.

Nice running D, and with the right competition you should be able to take a bunch more off that time. I end up running most of my races solo also, but my best PR's were set when there was some close tough competition to race against.

Retired &  Loving It

Thanks James & L!  Congrats STS!

I'll give the 5x1000 a shot and see how it goes.  With a 5k next Sat, is it worth doing that workout this week, or should I wait until after this weekend's 5k.  I'll have two weeks after that until the next 5k in May.

After May, my next 5k isn't until July, so I'm going to focus my training and weight loss to try and really kill that July race.  Then I'll go back to marathon training for my Nov race. Smile

I'd say that depends on what you are trying to accomplish. 5k pace work for 5k is generally pretty useful, so doing a few speedwork sessions shouldn't hurt (well, from an improvement standpoint anyway XD). Having not done them before, and not knowing your injury history/susceptibility it might be a good idea to add them in as a progression:, ie:

12x400m @ 5k w/60s jog

8x600m @5k w/60s jog

6x800 @5k w/ 90s jog

5x1k @5k w/2:00 jog

The other thing I have found nice is mixing in some faster stuff with long recovery, a la Daniel's rep pace stuff. Think 8-10x400 @ mile pace, but with nice full recovery like a full lap jog. For me a couple of those at the beginning of the season is nice to get the legs turning and make 5k pace seem a little more relaxed.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Mmmmm...beer

I'd say that depends on what you are trying to accomplish. 5k pace work for 5k is generally pretty useful, so doing a few speedwork sessions shouldn't hurt (well, from an improvement standpoint anyway XD). Having not done them before, and not knowing your injury history/susceptibility it might be a good idea to add them in as a progression:, ie:

12x400m @ 5k w/60s jog

8x600m @5k w/60s jog

6x800 @5k w/ 90s jog

5x1k @5k w/2:00 jog

The other thing I have found nice is mixing in some faster stuff with long recovery, a la Daniel's rep pace stuff. Think 8-10x400 @ mile pace, but with nice full recovery like a full lap jog. For me a couple of those at the beginning of the season is nice to get the legs turning and make 5k pace seem a little more relaxed.

I was just thinking today during my long run (lots of time to think lol) that maybe I should start out with shorter intervals, since I've never done them before.  Makes sense.  It's tough, since my overall goal for the year is still the marathon, plan to start a training cycle in July for a Nov goal race.  But while I'm base building, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to pick up a lil 5k speed.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Some wind, probably 15mph or so ended up doing 3x1600, 600 in 6:17, 6:10, 5:56, 2:07; rest was 2:45 between miles, and 2:00 before the 600. Pretty windy, probably 15 mph or so.

Weird workout though. Legs felt dead and sluggish as hell, yet at the same time the pace mechanically felt joggish if anything. Same aerobically as the repeats themselves felt quite challenging during them (though maybe tired legs just made me a puss), but almost instantly after I felt ready to roll again. Felt like I could do several more reps at the end too 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Oh, why not?

I was definitely in shape for it last spring and posted a few low-19s, but I misjudged my peak and didn't get in a good race at the right time.  Let's see what can happen this year.

No target race in focus yet, though.  It's gonna be a little while -- I'm getting my fitness back after a hamstring injury.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Tweeeked

Just ran a 10k that gives me a 5k equivalent of 18:40, so now it is definitely a formality to go sub-19. Next 5k is June 28th. Lots of time till then.

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
              • 10k: sub-36
              • Half: sub-76
              • Full: 2:45 in Boston
              Tweeeked

Got 18:48 tonight at a local race series, in spite of a very tight calf that caused me to take the past two days off. Onwards and upwards. See you all in the sub-18 thread soon I hope Big grin!

Good luck to the rest of you!! 

2016 Goals:

Walk-Jogger

Got 18:48 tonight at a local race series, in spite of a very tight calf that caused me to take the past two days off. Onwards and upwards. See you all in the sub-18 thread soon I hope Big grin!

Good luck to the rest of you!! 

Tweeeked, Congrats on getting it done!

I haven't found any decent 5k's close enough to here to sign up for in the near future, and I don't want to drive hundreds of miles to go to one, so I'mm still looking and trying to get back to sub-19:00 shape. McMillan's calculator puts me at 19:01 for a 5k based on my last 12k race a couple of weeks ago. So close . . .

Retired &  Loving It

bap

By the way, I ran a 90s 5K PR after doing nothing but mile training for the previous 6 months.

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

Going to take my first shot at it next weekend.  Haven't run a 5k in about 2 years?  For some reason I can never make the local 5ks.

Just coming off a marathon yesterday so I need to recover in a hurry and try to get a little speed work in before sunday as well.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

C-R

Took a shot at it today. Late local race entry.

Nope. 19:19. All Comers Track meet and a time trial last night did not make for optimal legs this morning.

My 13yo kid ran 18:59 though so at least someone in the family got the monkey off their back.

This will come with proper pre-race planning.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

After falling 2 seconds short a couple of weeks ago, I'm finally officially in the club as of the 5k I raced last night.  18:53 gun time, 18:50 chip time.  Woo hoo!

SubDood

After falling 2 seconds short a couple of weeks ago, I'm finally officially in the club as of the 5k I raced last night.  18:53 gun time, 18:50 chip time.  Woo hoo!

Congrats, slothful! Awesome job!

I took a shot at it last Friday at a local 5K that was preceded by a kids' "Adventure 1K" obstacle race. So, before the 5K, I chased my 7-yr-old around the course, snapping photos and generally having a great time. I think he's hooked on this running thing!

I then ran my 5K in 19:24. I had a good kick at the end, and there was no puking, so I'm pretty sure I didn't do it right. My expectations were low, so I was pretty thrilled with the result. More chances to come.

Not much new to report. Just working on building back up an actual running base and getting my strength back. 

If I get into a race I can probably go sub 19, but I don't have designs on racing a ton over summer.

Tweeeked

Congrats! Time to join me in the sub-18 thread!

2016 Goals: