39 Days Later (Read 1156 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...no zombies, just a happy runner.  5 weeks and 4 days ago I suffered a grade 2 sprain on my left ankle during a trail relay (and still had to run another 9.9 miles to keep our team from being DQ'd).  Today I ran 2.65 miles--non-stop.  I didn't need to stop, even though I went out planning to walk/run for ~2 miles.  It is still stiffer and weaker than my right ankle and prone to swelling later in the day, but walking around feels good.  Biking feels great (and I could not be more thankful to have that bike--without it I think my fitness and sanity loss would have been pretty serious). 

For the next week or so I will be carefully adding runs back in, no more than every-other day.  No more trail runs for me this year, though.  I am running the Vegas HM in early Dec., so I can't afford to re-sprain at this point.

*perma-grin*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The shirtless wonder

Nice.  Maybe use this as a guideline for recovery?
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice.  Maybe use this as a guideline for recovery?

Not bad.  7 weeks is about what I am figuring it will take me to be roughly back where I was when I was injured.  I was on the bench from running for 5.5, so I'm guessing it will take about that long to be full off of it, again.

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

So technically speaking, a HM in early October wouldn't be out of the question.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ojo

For the next week or so I will be carefully adding runs back in, no more than every-other day.  No more trail runs for me this year, though.  I am running the Vegas HM in early Dec., so I can't afford to re-sprain at this point.

*perma-grin*

Yay Kirsten!  So glad you are back out there!  And yes, you need to be injury free for Vegas! 

Sara

MM #2929

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So technically speaking, a HM in early October wouldn't be out of the question.

Hahahahahaha...no.  As much as I would love to do a fall HM, I'm not eager to land myself on the bench again in 2010.  No more silly stunts until 2011 (already planning to ride my bike 100 miles in some place like Death Valley, then.  And more trail relay next June, too). Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

44 days and counting for me.  Sigh.

Srsly, glad you are back at it.

Not at it at all. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

44 days and counting for me.  Sigh.

Srsly, glad you are back at it.

That totally sucks.  I hope your leg starts to behave, soon.  I have my fingers and toes crossed that the rehab works and will allow you to start running again VERY soon.  How horribly frustrating.  I think a broken bone would be easier to deal with, in some ways. This tendon/ligament/muscle stuff can be so slow to heal.

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

That totally sucks.  I hope your leg starts to behave, soon.  I have my fingers and toes crossed that the rehab works and will allow you to start running again VERY soon.  How horribly frustrating.  I think a broken bone would be easier to deal with, in some ways. This tendon/ligament/muscle stuff can be so slow to heal.

Yeah, this thing is taking forever to heal.  It is slowly improving, though.  Honestly it would not surprise me if it takes another month for me to start running.  That sucks but it is what it is.

I'll tell you though, the worst thing about this injury is that I didn't know what it was until a week ago.  Not running does not bother me nearly as much now that I know what is wrong.  And until I run again there is always beer.

Thanks for the positive vibes.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I'll tell you though, the worst thing about this injury is that I didn't know what it was until a week ago. 

Did I miss you explaining this?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Did I miss you explaining this?

Yes.

Not at it at all. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'll tell you though, the worst thing about this injury is that I didn't know what it was until a week ago.  Not running does not bother me nearly as much now that I know what is wrong.  And until I run again there is always beer.

Those mystery maladies that linger really put a damper on things.  Having a concrete diagnosis and a plan of a attack is good.  Almost as good as beer.

What sorts of aerobic cross-training can you do?  Can you swim and/or bike?  I could tell that my running muscles were a little atrophied, today, but aerobically I felt good--even in the heat.  I think my return to my previous level of running fitness will not be so bad.

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

What I can and cannot do is pretty much common sense.  If it hurts to do something I shouldn't be doing it.  I don't have access to a pool but do have a decent bike, so I'll do that.  Right now it hurts a little to simply walk up a hill.  At PT yesterday the guy told me that when it stops hurting when I do that I can start with some light jogging.

I'm going to be patient with this.  I'd rather take a couple of weeks extra or even a month than start all over at the beginning again.  It's a matter of when I will be back, not if.

Not at it at all. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's a matter of when I will be back, not if.

Yep.  Runners run.  Sometimes we have times where we cannot run, but we almost always still want to.  And that whole patience is a virtue business is good stuff.

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Woot!  Good news, Zoomy!  Hopefully we will see you in September at OBB with a beer in your hand.  I just booked our hotel last week.  My oldest, Chelsea, decided to run this with Tammy and I.  She comes in my office this morning and was asking me about how many miles she should be running and then asks if I think she will be able to keep up with Tammy (a 9 - 10 m/m paced runner depending on the distance race) in the race.  I said she should have no problem keeping up with her mom and then asked what pace she has been running at and she says, "Oh, only six and a half minute miles."  Heh!

Rick
                                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                                runningforcassy.blogspot.com