Humidity and/or Feels Like Index? (Read 1369 times)

As summer in Atlanta is fast approaching, I'm realizing that the humidity has a big impact on one's pace. For those of use who are number fanatics, any chance you can add a place to record the humidity, next to the temperature? Or maybe a 'feels like' number, you know - that the weather service uses to combine temp and humidity? It might help me figure out some kind of trend between the humidity+temp and pace. Just a thought!
      I use the notes field, but an extra field for it may be nice. I'm in the Dallas area and it was 80F and 78% humidity when I left for my run this morning. Ouch it was hot!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That would be great for wind chill, too. In MI we can have Summer days with head index readings 10-20º higher than the actual air temp and -10-20º lower in the Winter when it's windy. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

eric :)

I'll have to look into a way of allowing user to create custom fields. Otherwise, it's too complex for people that don't care about all those fields.
          theyapper

On the road again...

It's an old thread, but exactly the feature I'd love to see and was curious if anything ever came of this idea?  Just two more fields next to the temp field would do the trick so we could enter the other digits.

Of course, I said that as any non-programmer would.  Perhaps there's a lot more to it on your end, Eric?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

eric :)

I have no problem adding additional fields.  The problem I have is that the current editor is already packed full of fields, which can be daunting to a new user.  I am planning to redo the page to fix this problem.  Once I do that, then I can add all the fields you want.

The Thunder

When it's really humid for me, I write in my log "Hot as Balls!".  That always does the trick.  Oh, and one time I did a race that was soo hot, I changed the name of the race to "Satan's Hot Ass". 

So I don't really need a 'feels like' field.  I think that's pretty much taken care of in the comments area.  Just FWIW.  Smile

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

When it's really humid for me, I write in my log "Hot as Balls!".  That always does the trick.  Oh, and one time I did a race that was soo hot, I changed the name of the race to "Satan's Hot Ass". 

So I don't really need a 'feels like' field.  I think that's pretty much taken care of in the comments area.  Just FWIW.  Smile

Are you lactose intolerant or something?

Runners run

BeeRunB

Keep an off-line log as well with the temp/humidity/dewpoint.

(It's good practice since there is

always a possibility that Running Ahead might not be forever.

And I've had on-line logs crash and all the data lost in the past.)

You will see a trend. In terms of temperature, the same run, and at the same HR, in 80º compared

to  45º can easily be 7-12% difference for us amateurs. Add humidity in, and the slowing will be worse.

The good news is that your body will acclimate, and you can make progress. Though sometimes less

is more in the high dewpoints.

--Jimmy

Atlanta

Son, that's about enough AC/DC for you until you can learn to take it good fun. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The Thunder

Keep an off-line log as well with the temp/humidity/dewpoint.

(It's good practice since there is

always a possibility that Running Ahead might not be forever.

And I've had on-line logs crash and all the data lost in the past.)

--Jimmy

Atlanta

Well Jimmy from Atlanta...if RA ever ceases to exhist...I may just have to stop running.  I can hardly remember what running was like before this place.  Hrrruuumph!

BeeRunB

Well Jimmy from Atlanta...if RA ever ceases to exhist...I may just have to stop running.  I can hardly remember what running was like before this place.  Hrrruuumph!

LOL.

Be careful. The next step is thinking you ARE your profile.

The next step after that is not being able to remember if

you even had a life before RA. Then if and when Eric decides

to sell out to the big running website monster  for a half

million dollars, and they change everything, or torch everything,

and even censor the sentence "I ran my ass off",  then you will

find yourself in a void of non-identity, non-place, and non-time.

Or maybe one day Eric wakes up and says to himself "it's time."

And he finally puts on the orange robe, enters a Buddhist monastery,

pulls down RunningAhead, and starts "Chanting Ahead", complete

with meditation and dream logs, and forums such as "Vision Reports",

"Beginning Meditators", "General Dharma", and "Off The Karmic Wheel."

All still free of advertising, and all donations going to food for the poor.

Whatever happens, when the website goes poof, so does your history.

And when you can't show someone your log, it can get very lonely.

--Jimmy

That could happen.

Or you could just use the export feature occasionally or even regularly if you're worried about it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Jimmy's right.  Who knows if I will find all my data gone one day?  I'm going to take all my data and go back to a pen and paper log instead.  There's a far less chance of having my house burn down.

On the other hand, the benefits of graphs and maps out weigh the possibility of data loss.  You can wrap yourself in bubble wrap and run indoors on a treadmill your entire life, or risk twisting an ankle and enjoy running outdoors.

The Thunder

Eric LOVES me too much to ever do that.  No way.  Seriously...Eric, never die or anything.  You are waaaay too important to my exhistance at this point.