3x3200 tempo repeats...felt good! (Read 704 times)

Certifiably Insane

They were supposed to just be at tempo pace (6:15-6:22), with 2 minutes rest between them. Started out pretty tired, but felt pretty good on the last one, and picked it up a bit. Managed to hit them in: 12:24 (6:08, 6:16) Knew I was a bit fast on the first 1600, so I slowed it down a bit. 12:25 (6:11, 6:14) Pretty even pace. 12:06 (6:04, 6:02) Clicking off 1:31's like clockwork for 7 laps, then 1:29 for the last one. Seeing the workout in the training plan, I thought it was going to be a lot harder than what it was mentally. I decided to bring my MP3 with me, so that helped to keep my mind out of the way. I was happy with it. I'm starting to be able to smell those summer races... Evil grin Now the bad part...My knee was really sore after that, so it looks like I'll take a few days off. When it hurts to walk for two days after, I know I overdid the miles. Sad
    On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
      Be good to your knees John, they do come in handy. If you can run that workout that well, a little down time won't hurt your racing a bit.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

you may want to try and mark out a 2 mile course on the roads or switch directions on the track; that may help with the knee.

Certifiably Insane

you may want to try and mark out a 2 mile course on the roads or switch directions on the track; that may help with the knee.
          Not a bad suggestion, but it's the simple act of running on it that bothers it. Usually the first 1/2 mile is the worst, then it's usually OK, unless I've run too many times recently. I can't even do 3 miles every day. It normally has to have a day off. Once I get rolling, it doesn't seem to matter if I do 5 miles or 12, it won't bother me again. Unless I don't take the next day off, or if I'm trying to pack too many miles in for the week. Oh, our Rivergreenway is marked off in 1/4's, so I do hard workouts on it, also. Makes for a nice break from the track. Yeah, Ed, I'm very thankful that I've made it this far. I try to take good care of them. It's early enough in the season that I don't start getting bent out of shape if I have to do a layoff for a few days. I'm sure I can find other things to do... Big grin
          On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30