Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

Why is it sideways?

I know one thing for sure: Rush is loving all this attention. 

The campaign is off and running full steam. This contraception battle is the first big bid that Obama is making for women voters--won't be the last.

Hey, nice marmot!

I, for one, was surprise to learn that Rush is still alive.  I could have sworn he OD on painkillers a few years back.  Would have lost money on that one.

But speaking of extreme, am I the only one who sees this when Santorum is speaking?

(and, as always, England prevails!)

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Why is it sideways?

As long as "sexual morality", Rush, and talk radio are in the news--and not, say, rising gas prices, the deficit, and other economic issues--the democrats are winning because they are making the republican party look like a bunch of out of touch controlling prudes.

All of this was a play by Obama's campaign to turn health care (still a sketchy issue for them) into a women's rights/sexual morality/political civility issue (winner winner chicken dinner for democrats.)

I mean: shocker--Rush said something shocking! I am shocked and appalled.

The best thing that Republicans can do is just be silent on this one--that's why the party leaders are not engaging; it's an attempt by the Democrats to frame the debate.

But speaking of extreme, am I the only one who sees this when Santorum is speaking?

(and, as always, England prevails!)

I doubt you're the only one that sees that, but I also doubt that the majority of people who hear Santorum even closely believe what you're trying to make us think.

Cheers,
          Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Just based on 3rd grade math I'd say a majority of people find Santorum to be extreme.  He's the most socially conservative of the remaining field--in a party that has moved pretty far to the right in recent years.  So he's far right of center.  He's tracking about 32% of likely Republican voters, with most of the other 68% feeling he's too socially conservative to be electable.

I fundamentally disagree with his politics, but I do respect the fact that he's not trying to be anything he's not.  He's the anti-Romney in that way. (Which is precisely why he's still alive in the primary race.)

Runners run

I'm not sure if Santorum is extreme.  I mean... I think we all should be concerned about Obama sending religious people to the guillotine. 

Kalsarikännit

Santorum has equated homosexuality with bestiality.    Seems just a little extreme to me.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Scout7

Santorum has equated homosexuality with bestiality.    Seems just a little extreme to me.

They don't call it making the beast with two backs for nothin'.

I believe when Shakespeare used that expression he was referring to heterosexual intercourse which, as far as I know, Santorum is okay with as long as as it's within the vows of Holy Matrimony and there's no contraception involved.

Runners run

Scout7

Considering all the female roles were played by men, I'm not so sure.

Besides, it was intercourse in general, not specific to the genders involved.

And I have no idea what any of the candidates believe, or state they believe, because I haven't paid any attention to any of it.  All I know is that I can't voter for a salamander, and Santorum is from Pennsylvania, so he's out too.  That leaves the Masshole who really isn't a Masshole, but it's fun to call him that, and the crazy guy with two first names.  I don't think I can handle two first names, so the Masshole wins it in a scientific breakdown.

It doesn't matter who wins the primary.  It matters little who wins the general election.  None of them are going to accomplish even a third of what they talk about in the campaign cycles, because the system is designed to keep change to a minimum, never mind the fact that there's the whole rest of the world to interrupt things.

I believe when Shakespeare used that expression he was referring to heterosexual intercourse which, as far as I know, Santorum is okay with as long as as it's within the vows of Holy Matrimony and there's no contraception involved.

I think Santorum is in favor as long as a woman is getting screwed. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Can the G.O.P. save itself?

A long answer to the O.P.

Ostrich runner

Santorum's wife lived with and dated an OB who performs abortions and who is 30 years her senior. The doc is one of my grandfather's best friends. Hopefully I'll be able to get some real dirt when I see him next.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Santorum's wife lived with and dated an OB who performs abortions and who is 30 years her senior. The doc is one of my grandfather's best friends. Hopefully I'll be able to get some real dirt when I see him next.

That would be fun.

Feeling the growl again

I think what you're seeing play out is what happens when a very activist/vocal minority finds a way to take control.  It's Prohibition all over again.  While some of the commentary would have you think that Republican voters are living back in 50s, the low voter turnout in many of these primaries/caucuses indicates that...quite the opposite...the average Republican voter is completely disappointed with the best their party has to offer at this point.  You've got a mixture of overly conservative/religious types catering to the overly vocal/influential minority (Santorum/Paul), an abrasive bully (Gingrich), or a chameleon who is everything to whomever he is talking to at a particular point in time (Romney).  There were better candidates out there, but they either didn't want to deal with the far right wing minority, the ridiculously divisive Washington politics, or the media circus of running for President and its effect on their family.

Where is the South Park election episode when you need it....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills