Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Kurt - I have had my psoas released by my massage therapist every three weeks or so for the last year - it is a constant "maintenance" thing for sure for me.  I'm hoping the surgical release will make that need go away but so far, not much.

You guys will appreciate this - I sat down on the couch today for some reason with my op leg bent underneath me.    INSTANT PAIN.  It was one of those "I forgot I had surgery" moments.   Yowch.   It calmed down a few minutes later but I was seriously hurtin' there for a bit.

dallison

registered pw

lol, i remember doing this. you forget and then are so rudely reminded.

i iwll tell yo uthat running the other day wasn't a hot idea but now i have learned from it. The outside part of my hip, right where my wallet sits, aches. It actually hurts a bit and my wife keeps saying, "you seem to be walking funny". I was hoping she wouldn't notice.

You guys will appreciate this - I sat down on the couch today for some reason with my op leg bent underneath me.    INSTANT PAIN.  It was one of those "I forgot I had surgery" moments.   Yowch.   It calmed down a few minutes later but I was seriously hurtin' there for a bit.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

We can give you shit, dallison, but at least you're smarter than the guy over at Runner's World who ran a HM at 4 months post-op.  Seriously. 

"Pain that race was excruciating. Worse than before surgery and first half. By mile 7-8 my leg/foot became numb. At end it looked in pictures like I was running on hot coals. It was against my orthopedics advice that I do such a long race just 4mo after surgery. Thank God no damage. Haven't ran since. Next race  though is a July 4th 4 miler. Hip is feeling better though. Check out my blog I created while recovering to help keep me sane and motivated. Any questions don't hesitate to ask!"

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Hip Redux

In other news, I did 8 minutes on the elliptical today!

CatherineS

Has anyone else dealt with discomfort just below the joint, sort of between the hip flexor and adductor? I had nagging aches in that area before surgery and now it's flaring up again. I think it might be more of a muscular issue than anything but it's so frustrating.

I also have a nagging pinch on the outside of my hip near the top of the IT band. This has been bothering me for over a year now. At first it was definitely bursitis which was VERY painful, but after 3 months of PT that went away. Just a little pinch is left now. I wouldn't call it painful, but it's definitely annoying. My PT says it's bursitis but I'm not convinced because I had a cortisone shot that made it worse. Anyone experienced anything similar?

Hip Redux

The first one sounds like where I get pain - it's a combination of an unhappy psoas and tight hip flexors, I think.  It comes and goes though and it mostly at the "annoying" level, not really painful.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

How's everybody been doing lately?  I'm officially 15 weeks post-op now.  I've been biking a lot with no issues.  (237 miles so far this month.)  I am still scared to run, although I admit I jogged across the dog park the other day to stop my dog from eating something nasty off the ground.  No pain, but so weird!

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

If I ignore the nag/pain of my psoas and iliacus hip flexors that pops up - I feel like I'm doing great.   I keep bringing up my psoas pain to the PT and she doesn't really say anything other than 'it'll calm down' - ok, when? lol  My check in is next week with the surgeon, so that will be my first question.  Otherwise, I really have no complaints!

I can walk a mile easily now, but after that I start getting some nagging hip flexor pain so I stop, even though I could go longer from a hip joint standpoint.

This definitely feels like muscle spasm pain though, so I don't *think* I'm looking at tendinopathy stuff.   But who knows.

Oh and MTA - my other hip is still giving me trouble, but way less than it was.  So I wonder if part of it was the compensation stuff while on crutches.   Right now, it just constantly feels like it needs to crack or pop, which is sort of weird but not really painful.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My hip flexor still feels like it *could* get irritated easily if I let it.  It's a concern of mine for starting running again even though historically I've never had hip flexor issues.

I'm glad your other hip is settling down currently!  I also feel less freaked out about the other hip lately.  I suppose that could all go to hell at some point, but for now it feels good to have two (mostly) working hips!

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

How's everybody been doing lately?

Been busy and just noticed that I have not posted here for 2 - 3 weeks.  I will be 10 weeks post op on Thursday.  Things still seem to be progressing to feeling more normal.  I still have discomfort when sitting but it is less bothersome than before surgery.  Also have some lower back stiffness from doing a bunch of yard work these past few weekends.

I noticed that other than walking I have been a bit lazy and not getting enough exercising in.  I am down to PT every two weeks so I started logging everything last week so I get a visual if I am slacking.  That has helped.  Last week I got in six days walking (now back walking during lunch at work), one PT session, and 4 core sessions.  Also Saturday I finally went for a bike ride.  Just 9 miles but it felt good to get out.  It's a little hillier here than I would like so I am going to start driving to the canal towpaths were I used to run all of the time and ride there.  It is nice and flat with plenty of miles of trails.

I see the surgeon after the 4th of July weekend.  They told me at PT that around that time I should be able to do some treadmill running while there.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

So after I whined about my hip flexors, I made it 1.75 miles walking tonight without issue.  And this was after one of the worst mornings in terms of psoas aggravation.  Go figure!

Good news, Finn!

Hip Redux

Since you all had easy recoveries, seems like the luck ran out when it was my turn and I am the one with the stupid hip flexor issues.  

PT today was with the more experienced therapist and I told her my psoas/iliacus issue and so she said the timing would be right for some scar tissue issues.   Then as we were doing the exercises, she made a few corrections and noticed that I am way too tight through the front of my hip.  Some assessments later... and we're at the "you're using your hip flexors too much and your glutes are not firing" diagnosis.

She wants me to get up and first thing in the morning run through my set of "glute" exercises to "wake up" the muscles.    

In other news, she was impressed with my strength and ROM.  She said "You've been doing your homework!"  Damn straight I am.

KathyL

My crutches are adjusted and my toes are painted!  Tomorrow is the day! Surgery scheduled for 7:30. Looking forward to the healing process!

Hip Redux

My crutches are adjusted and my toes are painted!  Tomorrow is the day! Surgery scheduled for 7:30. Looking forward to the healing process!

GOOD LUCK!!