It's LibRary! There's an R in there! (Read 694 times)

zonykel

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it's a mute point to argue about these things. Irregardless of what you say, people will continue to say "supposebly". And don't get me started with explicatives. Foul language is not OK! And if your going to correct someone, be discrete about it. Because in order to avoid doing the same thing twice, we've got to avoid duplicity of effort!

Little Blue

Our very good friends are forever mispronouncing things.  If there is a word he just can't get, he makes up something even stupider.  Like Cabernet Sauvignon.  He can't say the second word, so he calls it Cabernet Serve-it-young.  Wine stewards everywhere are so impressed.Roll eyes

She will mispronounce someone's name forever.  Mr. and Mrs. Byrum.  No, their name is Bryan.  Bry-an.  You really should make an effort to get your friends' names right.  She also throws the extraneous 'r' into words, like warsh.

There are dozens more.

Walk-Jogger

This thread is rediculous.

Rediculus was an ancient Roman divinity.

(Divinity - A soft white candy, usually containing nuts. )

And today is "WeD-nes-day", not "Wensday".

I can't even remember the last time I visited a bricks and mortars libary, now that we got the Google!

Retired &  Loving It

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Rediculus was an ancient Roman divinity.

Isn't it also a spell taught at Hogwarts?

The one that used to drive me nuts as a Star Wars-loving kid was when others would refer to Luke Skywalker and "Dark Vader."  Haven't really heard much of that one since, though.

One of my little jokes with my beginning band students is to pretend like I can't pronounce "Good King Wenceslas" when we're getting it ready for the concert.  Every day I make up a new butchery of the last part of "Wenceslas..." "Wencesterslas," "Wenceslaw," "Wencenterslilly..." more and more off-base up until the concert, and pretend I think I'm saying it correctly every day.

Believe it or not, some of them think I really don't know how to say it, and they actually find it pretty funny.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Kalsarikännit

When I went out west to school in Colorado, I was absolutely floored how many people pronounced my state ill-in-oise. These college students were surprised to find out that you do not pronounce the "s" at the end. I also notice that people mispronounce Wes-con-sin and Or-e-gahn.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I also notice that people mispronounce Wes-con-sin and Or-e-gahn.

The Wesconsin thing always gets me.  I've had people in MI mock how I pronounce my own home state...while they ridiculously say Wes-CAHHHN-sin.  It sounds harsh.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

One of my little jokes with my beginning band students is to pretend like I can't pronounce "Good King Wenceslas" when we're getting it ready for the concert.  Every day I make up a new butchery of the last part of "Wenceslas..." "Wencesterslas," "Wenceslaw," "Wencenterslilly..." more and more off-base up until the concert, and pretend I think I'm saying it correctly every day.

Believe it or not, some of them think I really don't know how to say it, and they actually find it pretty funny.

Leicester.  That's another funny.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Speaking of Darth Vader, when I was a little little kid, I was one of the goofuses who called the Twilight Zone dude Rod Sterling.  Lo siento mucho.

Also, folks, the paint is not Sherman Williams.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have a friend who uses her camera to take pitchers.

Possibly controversial in this crowd: Is there a difference between wheel and weal?  Whine and wine?  Where and wear?  There is ware I come from.

doctorjen

One that makes me nuts is when  folks use "whenever" instead of "when."   As in "Whenever I went to the store, I bought eggs" meant to express that she bought eggs yesterday when she went to the store.  Everyone seems to use that here in MO, while I didn't hear it much back in Ill-i-noise.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Possibly controversial in this crowd: Is there a difference between wheel and weal?  Whine and wine?  Where and wear?  There is ware I come from.

Wheat Thins - my kid will do this all day....

~ Sarah Kay

Ultra Cowboy

I'll admit I have my share of mis-pronounciations.

I still say Ni-Caaa-se-O not Ni-CAH-See-o for the little town in Marin County, Nicasio Same with Tomales  (I choose AAAA RAAAAther than AHHHH.)

I waRsh mah hands in the CRICK.

If you are in Salinas the third week of July you go to the Ro-DAY-o not Ro-DEE-o.

Some of other peoples that bug me...

• The Panniers that you put your stuff in on a pack horse are not to be referred to as a Pan-YARD.
                          • Our president is not named "Obambo" as a woman I work with asserts.
                          • Them mountains on the East side of Jackson ain't grow vent, they are Gros Ventre (Grow VANT)
                          • MosCOW is in Russia.  MosCOE is in Northern Idaho.
                          • Wanna tell someone ain't an Idaho native?  They visit Boy-SEE, folks grew up in Boi-ZEE.

WYBMADIITY

Save

A Saucy Wench

I have a friend who uses her camera to take pitchers.

There is for me, but not for most people I know.  But I grew up as the daughter of a professional voice so I do say wHat.  not wut.

My pet peeve is pinot noir, especially living smack in the middle of Oregon Pinot Wine country.   It is neither Peeno NwaRRRRR as most Americans pronounce it, nor is is Peeno Nwaaaaaaah as the Oregon Wine growers radio ad "teaching" how to say it properly.

But teaching Americans to say the French almost but not quite silent r is impossible.

And while I am ranting on butchered French...this is a written one.  It is  voila (with an accent thingy).  Not "waa-la"    I see this in forums all the time.  "I was looking for it forever and had given up and waa-la - there it was!!!"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

sugnim

There is for me, but not for most people I know.  But I grew up as the daughter of a professional voice so I do say wHat.  not wut.

I'm not even sure how to say wHat.  But, I have heard people say Hwat rather than the common wut.

A Saucy Wench

I'm not even sure how to say wHat.  But, I have heard people say Hwat rather than the common wut.

yeah, thats basically it.  Hwat.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7