Please Help! (Read 323 times)

mill5280

Right now I can run 1.5 miles in 11:40. I need to accomplish this in under 11:00. Technically speaking, I have until next Friday. I might have two weeks, but time's getting short. I've been training, getting it down from 12:30 from the beginning of this month.

Turbolegs

Run the first 0.75 miles in 5:30.

Repeat.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

paulski66

miscreant

Run the first 0.75 miles in 5:30.

Repeat.

Shouldn't the aim be for negative splits? Say, 5:42 for the first .75, 5:18 for the second?

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Negative splits will happen if you pace yourself properly.  The advice you got is right, aim for 5:30 the first half of the run.  if you do the same on the second half you can sprint the last bit and get a 5:25 for your negative split.  Once you are within 10 days of the run you're no longer able to train to do anything to improve your speed.  You aerobic ability is limited by the time period, so don't kill yourself on some workout days before your event.

Good luck

Why is it sideways?

The treadmill is Bodacious, the bull. It is set to 8.2.

You're just another cowhand, from a small town east of El Paso. Lynda is in the crowd. She took the Greyhound to see you. You know she's there even though you can't spot her. You lock yourself in a bathroom stall in the gym, get yourself ready by listening to Eminem.

Out there, Bodacious is whining, waiting. This is your shot.

Instead of cowboy boots and jeans, you've got Nikes and nylon. But it's all the same. You've got to ride the freakin' bull. And when it comes to bull riding there's only one state of mind that will allow you to stay on. You've got to be willing to Take The Punishment.

CAN YOU TAKE THE PUNISHMENT?

Do it for Lynda.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Lynda?

Dude.

Her name is Peggy Jane. Get it right.

"run" "2" "eat"

lynda ronstadt?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Why is it sideways?

Just Lynda from back home in Lamesa.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Y'ain't from Lamesa.

Have you thought about just tapering since you are so close to the big race?   Rest up the legs so they are ready to blast off during the start of the race and then just go balls to the wall.  It is just 11 minutes of pain.  The 3rd stage of child birth is 30 minutes.  Surely you can suffer for 10:59!  Your fresh leg feeling and the excitement of the race will carry you to your goal. Go get em tiger err bull err horse . .  .  whatever.

BTW - Please ignore Trent and Jeff they are not being overly helpful.  Sorry about that.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                      • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                      • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

If anyone has a workout that will actually work to essentially cut 26 seconds off your mile in one week please send it this way!

I agree with BCR going from 11:40 to 11:00 for 1.5 miles in 1 week by following some training plan is probably not going to happen. You're best bet is to go into it relaxed and don't go out too fast.

If you had more time the answer would just be to run more often and let it come when it comes.

But Jeff does have a point about the treadmill. It can help you lock in and know what the pace you need to run feels like.

Best of luck!

mikeymike

Her name is Peggy Jane. Get it right.

True but when you've known her as long as Jeff has, it's Lynda.

Runners run

TJoseph

If anyone has a workout that will actually work to essentially cut 26 seconds off your mile in one week please send it this way!

Race day magic?

FurShirtFlyer

You waited to long to train for your Air Force PT test. I would suggest that after you pass/fail that you continue to train for you next test.

Right now I can run 1.5 miles in 11:40. I need to accomplish this in under 11:00. Technically speaking, I have until next Friday. I might have two weeks, but time's getting short. I've been training, getting it down from 12:30 from the beginning of this month.

Why is it sideways?

Fwiw, I think the OP can do it. The difference between 11:00 and 11:40 for someone who hasn't yet figured out how to delicately parse the pain cocktail is essentially just a matter of good pacing, a set jaw, and a couple of well-timed grunts.