How young is too young? (Read 531 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I, personally, think 8 is too young. 14, 15, maybe, but not 8. At least by HS a female child has reached sexual maturity and is, for the most part, done growing. I don't think I would encourage my son do to more than a HM until HS and I don't think I'd support him doing a HM until he's in at least 7th or 8th grade--if even that young (would depend a lot upon him being willing and committed to train and save up for his own race fee). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

Shocked i don't even think i was crossing the street at that age...
        I've read that its not usually a good idea for people under 18 to train for and run marathons. But the first guy's comment at the bottom of the article makes me wonder.
        1. Travis Says: June 9th, 2007 at 1:44 pm I am not supporting this in any way, shape, or form, but is this really a lot different then those gymnist training for the olympics? They are both hard on young bodies. I agree, let kids have fun and enjoy youth.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I found it interesting that this dad's also not taking his DD to see a doctor...so not only does he not have the go-ahead to put his child's body through this, he also has no way of knowing if something could be wrong with her before it might be too late. The whole thing makes me cringe. And those olympic gymnasts often don't even start their periods until after their careers are over...well into their teens or even into adulthood--that's not good. k

~ Sarah Kay

sheil2009

21:00

I think its hard to enjoy running when youre younger-i remember how much i hated just running the mile at school, and my gym teacher would have to force me to jog the quarter mile warm up; I think you need to be a bit older to really klnow what you enjoy. If you are a natural like jordan hasay, than it makes sense to start younger, but 8 years old? Way to young. That girl is never going to get her period, but I don't think her father even understands that...
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That girl is never going to get her period, but I don't think her father even understands that...
              I'm assuming her mom's not in the picture? So tragic. This little girl is likely going to have long-term health issues from the physical exertion combined with being underweight...and then not being able to go through puberty as her body would naturally do. It makes me really sad that this father is so warped that he would try to push his failed dreams onto his kid--that's a heckuva lot of responsibility for a little girl to carry. If she doesn't end up seriously ill or injured I picture her one day hating running, resenting her father, and being all-around messed-up. It really seems a recipe for disaster. Heck, I tried to get my son to run a mile with me yesterday (he got a side ache pretty quickly and then wanted to stop and chat with every person we saw on the bike path). I think he will be a real natural runner, but at this point he has little interest in *organized* running...or running just to run. In a couple of weeks he will be doing a "Tot Trot" obstacle course race, but it's geared for kids 3-6...I'm guessing he won't see it as a race, but more as a chance to go fast on a playground--which is how it should be for a 6 year old KID. That girl is only 2 years older than my son. I couldn't even fathom him running more than a 5k at that age. k

~ Sarah Kay

8? I think this crazy. My grandfather started working in coal mines at 8 though, which is also crazy.

Vim