Sudden improvement (Read 1608 times)

Marylander

I'm either having a fantastically good week for me so far or I'm seeing some sudden improvement. I've been working on getting a good base in (after 3 years of inconsistent running) and have been doing really well with that. Last week also marked a concerted effort to knock some weight off and I expect that to last for 6-8 weeks or so.

This week just seems to have taken off speed-wise (inasmuch as I can say that about 3 runs). Yesterday was a tempo run and I did it in a torrential rain, which started about half way into the run. I couldn't read my watch so I just went by feel and was way faster than planned, almost a full minute, without feeling like I was killing myself. My 2 easy runs thus far this week have been much faster than usual too and are definitely being run at easy pace

I'm pretty stoked about this and anxious to see if this holds out. Woo hoo!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Awesome! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

COOL - you could be having a breakthru as a result of more consistent training.......if you stay consistent and increase your mileage, then its just bound to happen...

CAUTION - CAUTION -- Its easy to get excited and start really pushing at a time like this, so be very careful not to suddenly think you are turining into Super-RUNNER because when this type of stuff happens, there is polential for injury......be careful to run within yourself and don't decide to push too hard.....

I cant tell you how many times I have seen someone have a breakthrough and an injury a few weeks later......

GOOD JOB -- be careful......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Marylander

Yep, good point. At this stage I don't plan to do more faster running that the tempo stuff, which I just started. I see how it could be easy to get carried away. Thanks for the remind to exhibit some self control!

Yep, good point. At this stage I don't plan to do more faster running that the tempo stuff, which I just started. I see how it could be easy to get carried away. Thanks for the remind to exhibit some self control!

I think this might be the key. I'm a novice who has never been coached, but I find when I introduce tempo there is an immediate effect on what pace feels easy in subsequent runs. Not to minimize that fact that your tempo run was better than expected.  Your log is looking very consistent, keep up the good work.

THE most important thing about training is; a particular workout (volume and intensity) and the effect of that particular workout and how long it'd take for your body to show that effect.  If you can see that, during the course of yourself noticing the progress in a certain training pattern; then you can ignore any books or anybody's advice and now you hold THE key to your successful running. 

Now that you're running really well and, probably basically running "out of your skin"; now if you KNOW why you are running so well and that you can duplicate that on the targetted race; that's ALL you need to know.  Unfortunately, however, what most people tend to fall into is that they feel so good and now the training will have become the goal; they run and run and run more simply because it "feels so good!"  They'll use up all the good run and, by the time your main race comes around, you'll be flat.  That's fine for now.  Just learn from it and, next time around, shift the timing a bit and make sure your "high" point (right now) comes right on the targetted race day.  Unless your goal is to feel good about your training run, remember that nobody gives you a medal for an impressive workout.  The important thing is to understand what that particular workout (a very good one) would do to your body and how long it'll take till that effect actually shows.  Pardon my expression but impressive workout is nothing but a masterbation (Blush).  Unless you prefer that than the real thing, don't be satisfied with an impressive workout or a string of impressive workouts.

Marylander

Hmm, I haven't really given too much thought to racing for myself (right now I'm running mainly to support my daughter and I've just done races as fun runs). I would like to continue running, for health, once my daughter is out the door (which won't be long, she graduates high school in 2012). Maybe some racing would help me with motivation.

Beginner all over again

This week just seems to have taken off speed-wise

I'm pretty stoked about this and anxious to see if this holds out. Woo hoo!

Wow, fabulous!  That's great!

I tend to see improvements every Three Weeks.

After that, I look like I'm getting worse for a week,

Then I get back up to the last "improvement" the second week

Third week stays the same as the second week, leaving me wondering "Am I ever going to get better???"

And then

after the 3 weeks go by again....

I see a blip of improvement.

And then back to the same ole cycle again.

I'm excited for you. !

That's really fun to see an improvement!

Gotta Love it !

Big grin