RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

BeeRunB

I haven't seen Kubrick's first three feature films yet; I've seen the other ten. I watched Paths Of Glory a few years ago for the first time---great film. Currently, I've been watching and reading all the interpretations of The Shining. According to some, the movie is either really about  the genocide of the Native Americans by Europeans (based largely on cans of Calumet baking powder in the kitchen), the Holocaust (based on Jack's German Adler typewriter), sexual confusion and repression (Jack is reading a Playgirl Magazine  in the lobby before his interview), or a confession that he filmed the Apollo 11 moon landing on a front-screen projection sound stage (this one is the most fun, and backed up pretty well by a few analyses--Danny is wearing an Apollo 11 sweater after all).

Interesting that The Shining had mixed reviews on release, but over the years has come to be seen as a masterpiece. There's a lot to see on subsequent watchings. You realize that the hotel is like a dream. Things pop in and out of existence (many of these were thought to be continuity mistakes at first, but there are so many of them, they had to be deliberate). There are windows where there can't be one. The TV isn't plugged in.  Stuff like that.

A good source film for all the theories is a doc called Room 237, currently in 8 parts on Youtube.

Recently watched....

Kiss Me Deadly

This 1955 film noir is fast-paced and violent even by today's standards, and it also has one of the coolest openings that I've seen.  Mike Hammer (the tough and politically-incorrect private investigator penned by author Mickey Spillane) has a random encounter with a female hitchhiker on a remote stretch of highway, and chaos ensues.  Kiss Me Deadly was a hugely influential film, and this is where Quentin Tarantino's "briefcase with unknown contents" plot element in Pulp Fiction came from.

Killer's Kiss

Another 1955 film noir, except that this was directed by Stanley Kubrick as one of his first feature films.  A professional boxer becomes involved in the plight of a hot blonde babe in the neighboring apartment building when he sees her being attacked by her crime boss lover.  This one is pretty straightforward and flies by at a fast pace, but Kubrick's flair for fascinating visuals was already evident this early in his career.

The Killing

This 1956 film noir was Stanley Kubrick's follow-up to Killer's Kiss, and this one is when Kubrick really hit his stride.  In fact, this is probably my third favorite Kubrick film behind The Shining and 2001: A Space Odyssey.  An elaborately-staged heist at a horse racing track runs into some unexpected twists and turns due to loose lips, a conniving blonde wife of one of the participants, and sheer unfortunate coincidences.

Any Metallica fans? We've already seen "Through the Never" twice this week in Imax. The plot is okay, but the music is great! A bonus for me is that due to my James Hetfield infatuation, it was an hour and a half of eye candy.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Any Metallica fans? We've already seen "Through the Never" twice this week in Imax. The plot is okay, but the music is great! A bonus for me is that due to my James Hetfield infatuation, it was an hour and a half of eye candy.

I saw something about that somewhere.  I was somewhat interested until it became clear they were trying to tell some kind of story about a roadie on an "important mission?"  Sounded way too contrived.  Those guys aren't what they used to be, but I'd still pay to see just an Imax movie of one of their concerts.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

RunJasonRun

After reading several glowing reviews about Gravity, I decided to put a few dollars aside this week for a trip to the theater after work today. I am glad that I did, because this movie demands to be seen on a big screen. I attended a 3D showing, and, although my lazy eye prevents me from benefiting from the full effect of 3D, I was still awestruck by the use of the medium, and I urge everyone reading this to see Gravity in 3D at the theater. If you can make it to an IMAX 3D showing, then that will probably be the best choice. Do not wait for Netflix or DVD/Blu-ray, because no home viewing format will do justice to this film experience.

I am hesitant to embrace hyperbole when reviewing movies, but I think that Gravity is a visually spectacular film, and I have never seen such a seamless blend of digital technology, live-action choreography, and traditional lensing techniques in all of my years as a moviegoer. Director Alfonso Cuarón demonstrated a flair for long camera takes in his previous film, Children of Men, but he outdoes himself here with a 13-minute unbroken opening shot that introduces the two characters, played by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, floating above the vast panorama of Earth on a shuttle mission to repair the Hubble Telescope. Cuarón's camera works with a stunning fluidity to depict the disorientation of outer space, where up, down, left, or right have no meaning. Unlike the Star Wars and Star Trek films that we have seen for the past several decades, Gravity gives us a true idea of the isolation of space, where sound does not carry and where normal physical maneuvers for locomotion do not apply. Aside from Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, no other film has succeeded so well in showing the terrifying prospects of danger in a space environment. When satellite debris flies across the screen to destroy the shuttle and leave the two characters alone in the elements, the destruction and explosions are accompanied by haunting silence. The subsequent efforts of these characters to survive offers some truly riveting moments that made my heart skip a few beats.

Gravity is not without its flaws. Astute space enthusiasts may point out the logical shortcomings of the transport between objects in different orbits that is outlined in the film. A back story about the daughter of Sandra Bullock's character is superfluous and unnecessarily melodramatic, because we already relate to her peril without such histrionics. I cannot help wondering if Gravity would have been an even better film if unfamiliar actors had been cast in lieu of Clooney and Bullock, but I concede that the use of easily-identifiable personalities is crucial in this story where the presence of these characters is only perceived through voice transmissions in many scenes. My above observations are minor nitpicks, though, and Gravity succeeds admirably and awesomely with its simple mission to sell us on both the majesty and horror of its setting.

This movie has my highest recommendation.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Birdwell

Jason, thanks for the review.

I've been hesitant to see this because of Bullock and Clooney (Trying to wrap my head around why those two would sign on to a project like this)

I will reconsider my hesitations.

Thanks again!

RunJasonRun

Jason, thanks for the review.

I've been hesitant to see this because of Bullock and Clooney (Trying to wrap my head around why those two would sign on to a project like this)

I will reconsider my hesitations.

Thanks again!

The casting of Bullock and Clooney was the mother of all red flags to me before I actually saw Gravity.

During the past decade, Sandra Bullock has been one of the torchbearers for the heavy-handed melodramatic films that I am averse to seeing.  The 2005 Best Picture winner, Crash, is actually my second least-favorite movie of all time (Pay It Forward is my absolute least favorite.).  George Clooney's film roles range from perfection (The American) to forced and forgettable melodrama (Up in the Air).

As it turns out, the strengths of both of these actors were integral to the effectiveness of the film.

It's funny that I was inclined to blow off Gravity all together before the unanimously good reviews (97% on Rotten Tomatoes) compelled me to see this "big event film" before the spoilers started pouring in and before the crowds hit their peak.  I'm glad that I gave it a chance, because it rocks.

Gravity is a game changer in visual terms, in the same way that Jurassic Park was back in 1993.  Like Jurassic Park, Gravity is a popcorn flick that does not claim to be anything more than a fun adventure story, but the special effects in the film redefine what is possible in cinema, and they set the bar several notches higher so that other filmmakers will probably be following the benchmark for the next few years.

Whenever a film receives such mass acclaim as Gravity has received, my spider-sense usually tells me to run in the other direction.  In the case of this movie, however, the masses are right.   This is a film to see at the theater on the big screen.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

god hates us all

Regarding George clooney. I recently watched The Descendents for the second time.  Great movie and maybe a bit overlooked.

bhearn

I'm somewhat dumbfounded by the universal accolades for Gravity. OK, cinematically, it's a masterpiece. As a story -- not so much. I lost my willing suspension of disbelief 10 minutes in. Sitting through the rest of it was a strange mixture of pleasure and pain.

MTA really, I'm offended by it. The tools that went into it could have made a movie that was so, so much better. Instead we are led through a string of one implausible cliche scenario and one yet more implausible escape through the entire movie. That's basically it.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm somewhat dumbfounded by the universal accolades for Gravity. OK, cinematically, it's a masterpiece. As a story -- not so much. I lost my willing suspension of disbelief 10 minutes in. Sitting through the rest of it was a strange mixture of pleasure and pain.

MTA really, I'm offended by it. The tools that went into it could have made a movie that was so, so much better. Instead we are led through a string of one implausible cliche scenario and one yet more implausible escape through the entire movie. That's basically it.

You've described my fear of seeing this movie.  I'm only going to go because I'm a SF junkie and my wife is a Clooney junkie.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

SMART Approach

I saw Gravity last night (non 3D) and it was pretty good!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Not dead. Yet.

I get where you are coming from, but not every movie has to be a deep, meaningful, thoughtful, work of art.  I think you were expecting it to be something that it wasn't.  It was a nail biting exciting 90 minutes of some of the most incredible visuals and excitement I have ever seen.  I'm also a space junkie, so just the idea of floating away in space like that gets my blood pumping.  It's the closest you can get to being up there yourself.

I bought into her and Clooney's relationship and even the dream sequence.  It got me thinking about what it would be like to be so helpless up there alone.  I think they both did some great acting in the slower parts..

No, not a very complex story, and not the best movie I have ever seen by far, but I really liked watching it.  I might even go to see it again while it's in the theaters.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

bhearn

I get where you are coming from, but not every movie has to be a deep, meaningful, thoughtful, work of art.  I think you were expecting it to be something that it wasn't.  It was a nail biting exciting 90 minutes of some of the most incredible visuals and excitement I have ever seen. 

OK, fine, I can take it as just a fun romp, though that's not what I was expecting. But all the excitement was just too far past my point of disbelief, also boredom. Every little bit was just not plausible, and also something we've seen countless times before. It's OK to have some of that in a movie. But the whole movie? Where's the beef?

BTW the point at which I began to think "WTF" was when the whole chain-reaction debris storm started. Uh... no. I just can't buy that; not for a second. It's just an artificial device to turn the space setting into a catastrophe situation. There are far more interesting and plausible ways to do that. Just look at Apollo 13... that really  happened.

Perhaps I do protest too much. It was beautiful. But I just can't comprehend all the 100 Metacritic scores by top critics. Really?? Did we see the same movie?

Cool Jump Suit

I enjoyed Gravity!  I didn't see the 3D...the 2D was enough for me.  I do think the movie would have been just as good with two unknown actors, but I do like both Clooney and Bullock.  Like everyone has said, it was a just beautiful visually, but some of the story elements were weak. And I think they took some liberties with the laws of Physics too.  But I'm still glad a saw it, I like sci-fi movies and hadn't seen a good one in a while.   Didn't George Clooney and Sandra Bullock date at one time???  And on a side note, when Sandra Bullock took her space suit off.....She is an absolute STICK.  She needs to eat a sandwich.

So bittersweet,
                            This tragedy
                            Won't ask for absolution;
                            This melody,
                            Inside of me,
                            Still searches for solution.
                            A twist of faith,
                            A change of heart
                            Cures my infatuation.
                            A broken heart, 
                            Provides the spark
                            For my determination.

bhearn

And on a side note, when Sandra Bullock took her space suit off.....She is an absolute STICK.  She needs to eat a sandwich.

Says you.

Cool Jump Suit

Yes, says me.  I know my sticks.

Says you.

So bittersweet,
                                This tragedy
                                Won't ask for absolution;
                                This melody,
                                Inside of me,
                                Still searches for solution.
                                A twist of faith,
                                A change of heart