What critters commonly share your running routes? (Read 930 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I see whitetail deer probably 3/4 of the time I run, especially the later it gets in the day (and we live right in "town"). I also see a lot of squirrels, the occasional rabbit, dogs (almost always on leads, thankfully), vultures (me no likey that sight while I am running), and wild turkeys. The deer always look at me VERY puzzled. Probably thinking to themselves, "damn, those 2-legged critters sure do move slowly." Oh, and I think I once saw a fox, but he was far enough ahead that it might have been a small dog or cat. I never saw a single cat on any of my runs until just after our Gus died--then on each of the first two runs I did after his death I saw a kitty. I like to think that he told them to keep an eye on me while I was so sad. :sniff: k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Gig

When I run through Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis, I sometimes see deer. The park is closed on Tuesdays, but you can still run through it. One evening, while running and watcing my feet, I stopped, looked around, and found myself in the midst of six or seven deer. They were all around me, and none further than fifteen feet away. Really surreal experience. Gig
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, our deer around here are pretty tame, as well (and our hostas have the "crew cuts" to show for it). I have probably gotten within 15-20 feet of them on a few occasions. Really kinda neat. We have a momma with twins in our neighborhood. k

~ Sarah Kay

ducks, seagulls, rabbits, squirrels, dogs, cats, lizards. exciting stuff eh? LOL. I run around Mission Bay, around Sea World, on a short dirt trail along side the bay and boardwalks. I once ran through a swarm of bees. Shocked gads, I HATE that! ::shudder::

Jennifer mm#1231

oh, we have interesting squirrels around here. Yes Blush

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I'd be a little scared of that squirrel, I think. I'll bet scampering up the trees is a bit of a challenge for the guy, too! Wink Speaking of ducks, I do recall noticing a bunch of Canada geese in a spot where I had never seen them before, just the other night. I have run along routes before where I have to dodge their poo, but I've never been there at the right time to actually see them. k

~ Sarah Kay

My good deed on Sunday's long run was to chase a Canada goose off an old lady's lawn. As I was running along the left side of a relatively busy street along a nearby lake (with the lake and a grassy park along the left side and houses along the right) I hear, "Yoo-hoo!!!" so I look up and see an old lady leaning out the 2nd story window. She asks, "will you shoo him away from the house?" Him being a big dumb goose that was eating the flowers in front of her house. So I stop my watch (of course) cross the street and chase this thing off her lawn. It wasn't that easy as he initially wasn't too afraid of me. I bounced a stick off his back and he didn't budge. I had to get pretty aggressive with the thing. Eventually he started run/flying away honking his fool head off, first into the next door neighbor's lawn--who wasn't too psyched--then across the street to the grassy area by the lake. I had to actually stop traffic to get him across. It was ridiculous. Kind of like "Make Way for Ducklings" but instead of a family of cute little ducks it was one big, dumb, noisy goose. Normally it's the usual assortment of turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks. The occasional deer and, once, a mangy coyote. A couple of weeks ago I saw my first fox--from pretty close up too. That was kind of cool. Pretty rare for here in the burbs just north of Boston.

Runners run

Wingz

Professional Noob

We have a lot of Canada geese around here too. I don't know how good I'd be at chasing one, either. Half the time I'm afraid they're going to start chasing ME!!! Especially when they have young ones, they're very aggressive around here. Come within 15 feet and they'll start hissing and coming after you...

Roads were made for journeys...

You'll ruin your knees!

saw a little one of these today!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Really??? Shocked

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We ain't got them sorts a critters up here in da Nort! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Sometimes when I run I have a tendency to space out. I am conscious of the road ahead and other runners on the trail but I just lose myself a little bit. Its a great feeling. That was until yesterday when I nearly stepped on a coral snake Shocked Most of the time I see deer, armadillo, lizards, deer, stray dogs, squirrels, deer, and occasionally deer.
                          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I see runners and walkers occasionally in the trails. Can they be considered critters? Big grin
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I see runners and walkers occasionally in the trails. Can they be considered critters? Big grin
                              If they look like they're wearing a wool sweater when they are shirtless, then yes. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Sometimes when I run I have a tendency to space out. I am conscious of the road ahead and other runners on the trail but I just lose myself a little bit. Its a great feeling. That was until yesterday when I nearly stepped on a coral snake Shocked Most of the time I see deer, armadillo, lizards, deer, stray dogs, squirrels, deer, and occasionally deer.
                                Whoa! A coral snake? That ain't funny!! I have a nasty habbit of stepping on rattlesnakes. A 3 and a half foot timber rattler in Montana during bow season and a 3 ft diamondback in CA. Not the way to get your heart rate up!! Had a close call with a griz in Alaska but was unaware until later it even happened as I had my back to him and didn't see him.............. A goodest thing as I had a FLASH camera in my hand and I don't think Griz would have like that one bit!!! Mining/Running jokes How do you bear proof yourself while gold prospecting? Pick a mining partner slower than you are. Two miners working a stream bed look up and see a griz charging them, grab their gear and run like mad, but one is really pulling ahead, so the trailer stops, kicks of his wadders and starts lacing up running shoes. The guy in the lead runs back, looks at what is going on asks if he really thinks those shoes will help him out run the girz? The reply: I don't need to out run the griz!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire