Adding warm ups on workout entries (Read 918 times)

Is there any way to add warm up mileage to workouts other than adding it in all as a separate run? For example, if I do a workout in the afternoon with a 3 mile warm up and 3 mile cool down, it will register as 3 entries/runs in my log (warm up, cool down, workout). Is there any way to make it all appear on my calendar as one entry as a workout that has a specific warm up and cool down? The current method only allows me to add them as separate entries, and when I double with another morning run  my days total comes to 4 entries.

an amazing likeness

Have you considered entering them as "intervals" (aka laps) ?  You'd have a workout with 3 intervals, each with their own distance and time, which will add to one workout. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

I usually just enter the total time and total distance including warm up, cool down, work and recoveries. Then I break out the actual workout in the notes section or using the interval gadget.

Runners run

drrbradford

Have you considered entering them as "intervals" (aka laps) ?  You'd have a workout with 3 intervals, each with their own distance and time, which will add to one workout. 

I thought about doing this, but then I would have to enter a tempo run as an interval and then the run would show up in my weekly graph that it was all "easy" or all "tempo". I just dont understand what the point of having a color coded graph that shows what type of run you do when you have to add warm ups as separate entries. Nobody does a tempo, or any other workout for that matter, without doing some type of warm up. And these warm ups should colored as "easy" pace on the graph, but the only way to do that is by separate entries.

Interval gadget is the way forward:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/c1a24b66d0c64c33ba24cb1ec7a8ed84/workouts/65824c814c014a39a2916bab5a7ee108

Yes I have used the interval gadget as well and I really like it. However, that entry is listed as one "interval" workout on your calendar even though the warm up and cool down really isnt interval mileage. I'm looking for a way that will delineate easy and interval/workout mileage as separate.

I know it seems nitpicky haha but I have seen other logs do this.

an amazing likeness

I thought about doing this, but then I would have to enter a tempo run as an interval and then the run would show up in my weekly graph that it was all "easy" or all "tempo".

I am not replying to argue -- that is not my intent.  If I'm understanding it, (again, if) what you've written here is not correct.  There is no link between the workout type and whether that workout has "laps" or intervals associated with it.  You can have a tempo run that has three intervals: warm-up, tempo, cool down. Here is a link to one such workout, a tempo run, made up of warm up, 5 miles tempo, cool down.

There is a downside to this type of workout entry that I see, the pace and distance for the warm-up and cool-down are incorporated into the tempo run's entry.  But that is the reality of the run's facts, it was x distance in y time, made up of 3 distinct elements.  All the data is there in the workout entry.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

I just dont understand what the point of having a color coded graph that shows what type of run you do when you have to add warm ups as separate entries. Nobody does a tempo, or any other workout for that matter, without doing some type of warm up. And these warm ups should colored as "easy" pace on the graph, but the only way to do that is by separate entries.

It could be that you are over thinking this.  Many runners seem to be okay with having an entire run show in the summary graph as "tempo" or what have you when they know that it in fact includes some easy running in the form of warmup, cooldown and recovery, since, to your point, nobody does a tempo or workout without some kind of warm up.  If it's always there, why do I need to call it out?

For many runners the summary is just that: a summary.  It is not intended to capture all of the details of a week/month of workouts.  Just being able to pick out the easy runs from the workouts is fine for many people.

Runners run

It could be that you are over thinking this.  Many runners seem to be okay with having an entire run show in the summary graph as "tempo" or what have you when they know that it in fact includes some easy running in the form of warmup, cooldown and recovery, since, to your point, nobody does a tempo or workout without some kind of warm up.  If it's always there, why do I need to call it out?

For many runners the summary is just that: a summary.  It is not intended to capture all of the details of a week/month of workouts.  Just being able to pick out the easy runs from the workouts is fine for many people.

And while the point is specifically about the bar graph, I just need to look down the list of workouts and see how long it's been since I did a particular workout type.   

The bar graph is for me to show my Mets pride.  2012 here we come!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

There is a downside to this type of workout entry that I see, the pace and distance for the warm-up and cool-down are incorporated into the tempo run's entry.  But that is the reality of the run's facts, it was x distance in y time, made up of 3 distinct elements.  All the data is there in the workout entry.

To be able to search for "Tempo" workouts and compare them more readily, I like to break out the WU and CD into their own runs and have the tempo run be its own data set.  When actually doing it, it's a simple matter to stop my watch, hold down Lap for 3 seconds to clear it (the data is saved, though), then press Start for the tempo run.

Not much different from logging a pre-race WU and post-race CD separately from the race itself.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau