So, is it cheap to consider mowing the lawn "cross training"? (Read 2010 times)

No, not on a riding mower!  (Ha, thought of it before you did.)

As I spent 3+ hours yesterday pushing a heavy, non-self-propelled lawn mower over my hilly yard and dragging a trimmer up and down a hill that's too steep to mow... it occurred to me that I was probably getting a pretty good workout. Today I am pretty sore from the effort (the trimmer on the hill did it for me, first time this season I've been on the hill.) and it was hard to consider getting up for my morning run.

So... would it be cheating if I somehow snuck my time from yesterday into my log? I'm thinking a category of "eXtreme Freestyle Yard Upkeep" should do nicely.

Also, by way of introduction (since this is my first "public" post), I'll say hi.

Hi.

New runner in the Pittsburgh area, trying to broaden my horizons a bit. And since I hate "hello world" posts, I'll also share what I think is a pretty decent running/workout tune. The video is a bit trippy, but it's got a good beat and even the lyrics are motivational if you think of it right. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Brr3eYrzas

(Also, thirtysomethings like me will enjoy another song by that group, titled "2 Button Love".)
    Step by step Mile by mile Day by day

Feeling the growl again

If you browsed the right logs, you'd see that people have logged lawn mowing.

Personally, I would log things specific to increasing my running conditioning/fitness.  If you log everything that may be considered "cross-training" it's hard to tell where to stop.  Not that mowing a hilly long doesn't do beneficial things for you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Maggie & Molly

here's what I do....I log it in my calorie in/out log because it is work and calories burned but I don't log it in my training log.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
        Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Hey Will, what part of pittsburgh are you from? I live in shadyside..Welcome to RA!
            RumRunner:  I often use push mowing multiple yards/properties as cross training and sometimes use it as recovery from either my long runs or after races to work the soreness out of my legs.  Works great and the yard(s) look better too.

A Saucy Wench

There are a couple approaches you'll see.  Some, like spaniel, log only running and running related activities  Others log everything because maybe you'll notice a pattern that 2 days after an intense mowing session you'll notice you are sluggish on your run. 

It kind of depends if you are the type to go back and superanalyze or not. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

@spaniel -- Heh, don't worry... I don't do too much besides running that anyone would mistake for cross training. Lawn mowing and occasionally scrambling for the bus would be about it. Smile

@skeeter -- Thanks! I live in the North Hills area. I used to work in Shadyside a few years ago, I would go walk through the residential streets on my lunch break sometimes. Was very pleasant. Lulu's Noodle Shop is a winner.

I did notice it was pretty tough to get up and get moving this morning, run time was about 50 seconds more than 2 days before on the 5k course that I run. Thanks to all for the input!

It kind of depends if you are the type to go back and superanalyze or not. 

Hm... for some things yes, for some not. I kind of feel like I would be unfairly "slighted" if I didn't include it since it pretty much wiped me out. Not so much for calories or HR or anything, just to show that I wasn't sitting on the couch for a good 3 hours that day. Smile

mikeymike

It's important to remember that there are no prizes for having a really impressive running log.  Races matter, not much else.  If you feel like mowing your lawn was an important part of your training, then put it in your log.  It's your log.

I pretty much just log running, but to each his own.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

Hm... for some things yes, for some not. I kind of feel like I would be unfairly "slighted" if I didn't include it since it pretty much wiped me out. Not so much for calories or HR or anything, just to show that I wasn't sitting on the couch for a good 3 hours that day. Smile

See I wouldnt log it for that reason, nobody is looking at my log that closely. I used to have a logstalker but sadly he stopped running or stalking or maybe both. 

But I might make a note or something in my calendar just to remind myself that maybe I dont want to mow the lawn the day before my goal race.  

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I know somebody pretty adept at jog-mowing. But, then he usually goes for a 15 mile run after.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

The King of Beasts

I do some of my best longish (12+12) doubles if I mow the yard inbetween the runs.  I dont log the mowing.  I was logging my weight work, until my gym was swept away in The Flood.  Now i dont feel like logging my pushups and pullups.

whatever.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

See I wouldnt log it for that reason, nobody is looking at my log that closely. I used to have a logstalker but sadly he stopped running or stalking or maybe both. 

I'd love to stalk your log and live close enough that it might even be somewhat scary. Sadly, I don't have the time to put into it right now: maybe some other year.

Sorry! 

Yeah, I have one acre and even though I probably could invest in a self-propelled jobber at the least, I opt for my heavy push mower. I keep thinking about making the upgrade to a rider mainly for the time saver, but than all the people in my neighborhood I see on them are fat, so I always decide against it..  Never would I consider a chore cross training but it is a good calorie burner and for some strange reason I enjoy being out there doing it. I bet I burn a good 1000+ calories each week doing it(equilivent to a 10 mile run)!
                              PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

A Saucy Wench

I love how for A1 12+12 is just a longISH double