Help me pick a course for this United Way 5k (Read 101 times)

I'm in charge of course design for a corporate 5k with United Way. Lots o' complaints about last years' course (not by me, I won). It was a strict out and back, downhill for 1.5, uphill for 1.5. Folks didn't like it. The name of the race is King of the Hill, so it has to have hills. These two options are my attempt to make a little more interesting course, but still have hills, and to start and finish in front of our building's lobby. Any of these options stand out as more interesting or "better" for a 5k? Any help apprecitated. Thanks for even looking.

Course 1: simpler (one big loop), but definitely more challenging (going up the west side of Reserve Road is a serious hill).

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/919f8c06a395438cb070ceb033425790/courses/0d95e1236a154cc296c71116bec24086

Course 2: keeps everyone "on campus" (ie off all major roads), but it's a little less elegant in that it still includes a turnaround, and incorporates the building ramps and going around/under the building.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/919f8c06a395438cb070ceb033425790/courses/96602281a0244b6694033ab4e5021d55

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
    npaden

I like the loop personally.  I think that ducking and dodging around the building on the out and back version right near the finish wouldn't be much fun.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xhristopher

Will going out onto Saw Mill Road add additional police details, traffic management and cost? If so, is that ok with everyone else on the committee?

BTW, I'm too familiar with exit 2. The line at that starbucks usually sucks.

Will going out onto Saw Mill Road add additional police details, traffic management and cost? If so, is that ok with everyone else on the committee?

BTW, I'm too familiar with exit 2. The line at that starbucks usually sucks.

Good pick up on the Saw Mill issue. That's something I don't know and planned to bring up at our meeting next week. I guess first was establishing which was more appealing, and second figuring if that added cost/insurance stuff. Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like there's a clear preference from RA nation for the looper.

It's a weird location for a starbucks I think. Nice to have trader joes right there though for pickups on the way home.

xhristopher

Nice to have trader joes right there though for pickups on the way home.

Not to mention the liquor store...

lagwagon

I'll go with the big loop of the two.

With a quick look it seems you might be able to make a 5k loop without Sawmill if you weave a bit through the Toll Bros development just to the northwest of the map (eg Reserve Rd to Shaw to Mill to Warrington), make a wide turn at SE corner of Reserve Rd, and adjust the start and finish a little bit.  I'd only do that if it made the traffic issues more manageable.

Good luck with the race.

beat

Break on through

I like the loop, too...   But what I'd really like is the course to be switched back to the 2011 version on the other side of town, for the purely selfish reason of being within walking distance of my house.   haha...

Good luck with the race!  I'll run it no matter what course is chosen!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

I like the loop, too...   But what I'd really like is the course to be switched back to the 2011 version on the other side of town, for the purely selfish reason of being within walking distance of my house.   haha...

Good luck with the race!  I'll run it no matter what course is chosen!

Ha. I know, I know. (and hey, you WON the 2011 version, right?). But we're locked into the Corporate Center for a few years I think.

Thanks everyone for the responses and feedback. Definitely a clear choice. I appreciate it.

beat

Break on through

Ha. I know, I know. (and hey, you WON the 2011 version, right?).

Yeah, there is that.  That factors into why I like the old course so much!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Wow I'm the only one who voted for course 2!

Runners run

Wow I'm the only one who voted for course 2!

Was wondering who that was...any reasons?

Was wondering who that was...any reasons?

Partly thinking of it from an RD's perspective--it would be nice to keep it all on campus and not have to worry about public roads. Plus I like courses with *some* out and back section where people can see the runners going the other way.

Runners run

Got it. Thanks mikey. That's why I offered up course 2, as a keep it on campus option. And looks like you got another vote to keep yours company.

xhristopher

I didn't vote but was leaning towards course 2 because I like a little out and back to get a look at what's going on in the race.

Do you have specific reasons why people didn't like the course last year? You and I find hills to be a fun challenge but if I were a 10 mile a week runner I'd hate finishing with a 1 mile up hill. I think you have a predicament that you have to finish with an uphill. I would love to run the reverse of last year's course, 1.55 miles up then down. That would certainly justify the name King of the HIll.

I didn't vote but was leaning towards course 2 because I like a little out and back to get a look at what's going on in the race.

Do you have specific reasons why people didn't like the course last year? You and I find hills to be a fun challenge but if I were a 10 mile a week runner I'd hate finishing with a 1 mile up hill. I think you have a predicament that you have to finish with an uphill. I would love to run the reverse of last year's course, 1.55 miles up then down. That would certainly justify the name King of the HIll.

I think the main complaint was the perceived complete uphill second half. Plus the start/finish was kind of far from the registration / post-race area. It was the first year on a new site, so things were a little thrown together.

With course 1, it's broken up a little. up the ramp, big down, long but gentle up, sharp down, flat, big up, then nice down the ramp to flat finish to the building.

Course 2, also big down, longer gentle up, then more flat to the finish, but a little bobbin' and weavin' around the building (which can actually be "cool" in that it's dead flat fast, there's places for people to spectate, and you kind of feel like you're in a tunnel - it's just different which can be neat).

Agreed that we're stuck with the start at higher elevation. Can't do much about that.