2015 Sub-18 5k (Read 419 times)

robertaajr

I'd love to run a sub 18. I just ran 18:41 this weekend and I plan on doing a sub 18 in the next few months if not weeks. I have a couple 5K's this month and a couple next month. I just got my 1st overall winner this weekend. Now my goal is to run a sub 18. Any ideas on how to cut my time down in a few weeks. I feel like I definitely had a little left, I just had nobody pacing me or motivating me to run faster, I was in front.

I'd love to run a sub 18. I just ran 18:41 this weekend and I plan on doing a sub 18 in the next few months if not weeks. I have a couple 5K's this month and a couple next month. I just got my 1st overall winner this weekend. Now my goal is to run a sub 18. Any ideas on how to cut my time down in a few weeks. I feel like I definitely had a little left, I just had nobody pacing me or motivating me to run faster, I was in front.

Congrats on the win. You're a young dude who's pretty new to running and you're still finding your level, taking minutes off the 5k time every month. So, it's kind of difficult for anyone to guide you towards "here's how you go 14s per mile faster next month". Just keep on the path you're on, building miles, finding a training rhythm of easy stuff and faster stuff and longer stuff, and learning from each race. If you start to plateau or get into a rut or dinged up, then it's time to solicit some ideas for change. Right now, I'd say your doing grate.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

ultramarathon/triathlete

PR this weekend in a small 5k in Connecticut at 17:35 (good for 2nd place). Getting faster and maybe that sub 17 could be doable one day!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team