Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

I am not going to run the half next weekend and will focus on the November one instead (both are listed as goals).

The good news is that I was able to run a sub-60 15k yesterday, so it should be doable. 

--

Nashville, TN

Okay, big week this week, with 4 on the lineup...good runnin' all...

rubhadubh, Valley Harvest HM, Wolfville, NS, 10/7

mnyce, Towpath Half Marathon, Peninsula, OH, 10/7

sentanae, Cricklade Half Marathon, UK, 10/7

TechW, GoodLife Fitness Victoria Half Marathon, BC, 10/7

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      Chris UK

Also add me to the list for 10/7 please - Mablethorpe Half Marathon - UK.

My last 2 races 10K @ 40:32 and 5K @ 19:23 put me right on the cusp to do this. RA calculator gives 1:29:52 @ 6:52 pace. Given a reasonable day with the weather I am hopeful. My left hamstring is a little tight after the 5K yesterday but should hopefully loosen in good time.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

All set. Good luck, Chris.

Put me down for Baystate 10/21. Hoping Wilmington wasn't' a fluke. 

lagwagon

A quick training question...I'm targeting a HM Nov 10, and am planning to "train through" an 18 mile race this weekend. I'd like to work in a sizable tempo segment at about 7 min/mi (slightly slower than HM pace) unless it's a really bad idea. I've done a number of runs in the 14-16 mi range so the distance wont be a big problem. So how should I run the 18? I guess I'm leaning towards 10 miles slower, 6 mi at tempo, and then coast to the finish. Too ambitious?

Also add me to the list for 10/7 please - Mablethorpe Half Marathon - UK.

My last 2 races 10K @ 40:32 and 5K @ 19:23 put me right on the cusp to do this. RA calculator gives 1:29:52 @ 6:52 pace. Given a reasonable day with the weather I am hopeful. My left hamstring is a little tight after the 5K yesterday but should hopefully loosen in good time.

good luck Chris - I think you'll sneak it.
                Chris UK

good luck Chris - I think you'll sneak it.

Thanks - I did !!

It's a beatiful thing when everything comes together - good solid training, a decent course and ideal weather. Glad to report I smashed my PB by 2 mins 30 secs giving me 1:28:01 (chip) 1:28:03 (gun). Well happy!!

Fairly even splits - just a bit of a struggle when we turned along the seafront with a headwind otherwise I think i would have been in the 1:27:00's but hey ho next time ;0)

6:48 - 6:40 - 6:44 - 6:44 - 6:43 - 6:40 - 6:45 - 6:44 - 6:42 - 6:43 - 6:41 - 6:50 (head wind) - 6:40 - 6:09.

Just had a quick look on the UK rankings and this puts me around 30th place in the country for M60 age group.

3000 miles

mikeymike

Great work, Chris!

Runners run

Chris UK

Great work, Chris!

Thanks Mike - and to everyone on RA (particularly this thread) for all the encouragement.

3000 miles

Nice one Chris! You smashed it rather than sneaking it.
                          Chris! This such great news. More than your ranking (obviously impressive), you have pushed past injury and discouragement to do something truly awesome. Kudos!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Awesome, Chris! Congrats.

Chris UK

Chris! This such great news. More than your ranking (obviously impressive), you have pushed past injury and discouragement to do something truly awesome. Kudos!

Nader - thank you for your kind comments - they are much appreciated.

Kevin - thank you for taking on this thread and encouraging so many to strive forward and achieve.

3000 miles

Chris, congratulations!  Hard-earned and well-deserved!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau