Anyone have an inversion table? (Read 176 times)

Hip Redux

Good?  Bad?  Worth the investment?

My doctor recommended it for my sciatica/disc issues.  I don't have any experience with it, obviously.

Feeling the growl again

No personal experience, but the two people I know who own them for disc/verbetrae issues swear by them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I had one, but I didn't keep for more than a few months. It hurt my head to be upside down after a short period of time. It was also a little rough on the legs (ankles, feet) since you are hanging mostly by them when fully inverted.  Might work for some but didn't work for me.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I had one a while ago, and used it for my disc issues. It helped temporarily, but eventually, the discs had to be fixed surgically (by cutting out the prolapsed tissue, no fusions, no muscles or tendons cut). I have had 4 disc surgeries since, each absolutely necessary because of severe nerve damage (most of it recovered, but some effects are permanent).

I can recommend an inversion table if you can get it at a reduced price. I'm not sure it is worth several hundreds of dollars, though.

I also use one of those over-the-doorframe monkey bars, I "hang" there, relaxing my body totally from the waist down, and this stretches my lower back just as fine and effectively. It is, however, more exhausting, as you have to hang in there for a minute or more at a time, and repeat this several tiimes, and several times a day. But definitely cheaper than an inversion table.

Run for fun.

Hip Redux

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a neck traction device that my insurance paid for because of my cervical disc issues, so I wonder if they'd cover this one too.  Probably a long shot, but worth looking in to.   Otherwise, I have a few bookmarked from Amazon in the $100 range.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

If your health insurance thinks it makes sense (and for cervical disc issues, it probably does - can't hang yourself from the monkey bars for that one Dead), I'd go for it. I haven't noticed any negative effects, unless, of course, you put yourself upside down for way too long.

Run for fun.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a neck traction device that my insurance paid for because of my cervical disc issues, so I wonder if they'd cover this one too.  Probably a long shot, but worth looking in to.   Otherwise, I have a few bookmarked from Amazon in the $100 range.

For 100 bucks used, certainly might be worth a try.   And if it didn't work... You could sell it on Amazon for...100.00. Smile

From what I have heard overall though, it helps some, but not others.  For those it does help, the relief is only temporary.   But hey, sometimes even temporary relief is nice for folks that have back pain 24/7.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Hip Redux

It's true, KL - right now if I'm having a flare up, my only option is heavy doses of opiate drugs.  And sometimes that doesn't even handle all the pain, so I like having another option (that doesn't result in me being heavily drugged lol).   So long as it's a reasonable thing to try and isn't going to make things worse, etc, which is what I am trying to find out.

kcam

I would imagine it would/could help quite a bit but I'd check with your doctor first.  I hurt my back when I was 18 and the only relief from the pain I could get that didn't involve lots of NSAIDS was to go out in the backyard and hang upside down from our T-pole clothes line.   Temporary relief but it felt so good.

BTW - I don't know how active Craigslist is in your area but I just checked the SF Bay Area one and there are 5 or 6 lightly used tables for sale in my area ranging from $35 to $100.  I suspect these are like excercise equipment - you buy it and use it for a few weeks then it becomes a place to air dry clothes.

Slo

Everytime I read this Thread's title I think you're looking for some kind of data lookup table.

I've been programming for to long.

I would imagine it would/could help quite a bit but I'd check with your doctor first.  I hurt my back when I was 18 and the only relief from the pain I could get that didn't involve lots of NSAIDS was to go out in the backyard and hang upside down from our

I would imagine it would/could help quite a bit but I'd check with your doctor first.  I hurt my back when I was 18 and the only relief from the pain I could get that didn't involve lots of NSAIDS was to go out in the backyard and hang upside down from our T-pole clothes line.  

--- I remember T-poles!  Folks used to put them in the backyard right inbetween their trampolines, and piles of rusted crap.   Ah the good old days. Big grin

Hip Redux

I am not hanging myself from that LOL

gmann

I have used a teeter hangup for about two years for similar issues.   I'm certain it has been an asset in keeping those kinds of problems at bay.  It can take some getting used to - go slowly at first if you decide to try it.

Rod Staples

Its the best investment for your money.  I  have a compression fracture on L-5 and this has really helped  me.  My Doc recommended it.

Good?  Bad?  Worth the investment?

My doctor recommended it for my sciatica/disc issues.  I don't have any experience with it, obviously.