What to do at stoplights /crosswalks??? (Read 762 times)

DDXD

Slower than I look

That Jazzercise story gave me a good chuckle.  Guy was probably working harder at the stoplight than on the run.

I've learned to love the auto pause feature on my Garmin.  I like not being able to think about whether to pause it, and then not having to remember to start it again.

J-L-C

Really, what changes to your training is 30 secs, give or take, over a 5 mile run going to make? If I'm being held up 2 mins like the OP then I'd find a different place to run.

If I felt that way I wouldn't bother with a watch/gps in the first place. But since I do, I feel it should be an accurate reflection of what I'm supposed to be doing.

Julia1971

I stop my Garmin at stoplights. (I don't use auto-pause because I've noticed there can be a delay from the micro-second I stop and when it stops).  For workouts like intervals, tempo runs, and MP runs, I head to an uninterrupted section of the multi-use trail so those times are true. I don't really care that my recovery and maintenance runs have stoppages, though.

And, I don't jog in place at lights. Like Mikey's graphic, I just stand there looking pissed. Smile

Zelanie

I experienced an awkward moment once at a stoplight when a jogger got there a half second before me (we were coming from opposite directions but both waiting to cross in the same direction).  Before he saw me, he started jogging in place--and not just any jogging in place, like a really exaggerated  jazzercise jogging in place.

Funny!  We drove by an intersection where this was happening yesterday.  At first I thought they were running together and just had different "traffic light protocols".  But the more we watched their body language it was really clear that they were *not* together at all, hehe.

As for me, if I'm not running for any reason, the watch is paused.

If it looks like I'll have to wait I'll pause my watch. I never want to feel in such a rush to carry on that I compromise my safety so pausing the watch helps me mentally shift gears. While waiting I just stand around. Enjoy the break.

+1. I just started using my Garmin a few weeks ago, and pausing it actually helps me make good decisions at intersections. That's something I haven't always done in the past, and it's a terrible habit.

Jogging in place: no. it's pointless.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If I felt that way I wouldn't bother with a watch/gps in the first place. But since I do, I feel it should be an accurate reflection of what I'm supposed to be doing.

I don't pause my stopwatch, since it's at home.  My waits typically add maybe 30 seconds to the entire run, and I have no particular need for precision on these runs; only on races.

#artbydmcbride

Most of the time I don't bother stopping my garmin.  While I wait I usually just roll and stretch my ankles.   But now I plan to do a Michelle Janeke style jazzercise bouncing.  Cool

prgrsvimghttp://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4653872984752739&w=98&h=108&c=8&pid=3.1&qlt=90

Runners run

xhristopher

+1. I just started using my Garmin a few weeks ago, and pausing it actually helps me make good decisions at intersections. That's something I haven't always done in the past, and it's a terrible habit.

Also ... Employing this logic is as, if not more, important on the bike. Just pause the damn thing, chill out, and be safe. Getting back up to speed is enough of a time/energy hit. Log the moving time and fuggedaboutit.

Most of the time I don't bother stopping my garmin.  While I wait I usually just roll and stretch my ankles.   But now I plan to do a Michelle Janeke style jazzercise bouncing.  Cool

xhristopher

Without the animated gif this post is kinda pointless.

kcam

I use the autopause function on my watch.  Most of the time I just stand there while waiting but for very long traffic signals I run up and hit the button on the crosswalk and then will turn around and jog back the way I came for about 30 seconds and then head back to the intersection.   By the time I get back I can just cruise across.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I always pause my watch and never jog in place.

+1.  But sometimes I stretch whatever is bothering me.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

delicate flower

Sometimes I get pissed at the person who comes to the crosswalk while I'm already there and they press the walk button.  DO THEY THINK I FORGOT TO PRESS IT???

<3

Arimathea

Tessa

When running in the early morning -- look around.

If no cars coming then continue running.

If one car coming, wait without pushing button, allow car through intersection, proceed on run without slowing down other cars by making them wait through a "WALK - DON'T WALK" cycle.

If multiple cars coming, push button, wait (without jogging in place) for pedestrian crosswalk sign. Then it's the drivers who look pissed.

When running on busy streets at well travelled time of day, push button, wait for walk sign. I don't stop my watch and I don't worry about the short delay.

I get particularly annoyed by people who push the crossing request button and then jaywalk without waiting for the crossing permission, so when the little green man does appear then the person is long gone but we all have to wait for the cycle anyway.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Sometimes I get pissed at the person who comes to the crosswalk while I'm already there and they press the walk button.  DO THEY THINK I FORGOT TO PRESS IT???

Yes Smile

steph