Just another reminder....use sunblock! (Read 1055 times)

Hoban-Jay

Never use the stuff....even the "good ones" have chemicals that do more harm than good...and potentially kill ya!  Not for me!  I tend to stay out of direct sun and wear a hat and shirt all the time. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Never use the stuff....even the "good ones" have chemicals that do more harm than good...and potentially kill ya!  Not for me!  I tend to stay out of direct sun and wear a hat and shirt all the time. 

Vampire?

steph  

I wear a shirt, too. Smile

Feeling the growl again

Never use the stuff....even the "good ones" have chemicals that do more harm than good...and potentially kill ya! 

And what evidence can you provide for this?  I am not aware of a comparative study.  What specific problems do these chemicals cause (along with cause-and-effect linkage) and what are the occurrence rates compared to the incidence rates of melanoma and basal cell carcinoma?

The main negative effect of sunscreen for which there is evidence is that people mistakenly think it allows them to spend more time out in the direct sun...when they are wearing non-broad-spectrum products that do nothing to protect them from melanoma.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Wing

Joggaholic

Vampire?

I also dislike using sun blocks, but only because I don't like the greasiness. I do feel like a vampire sometimes for not wanting to be outside during the day Tongue

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I also dislike using sun blocks, but only because I don't like the greasiness. I do feel like a vampire sometimes for not wanting to be outside during the day Tongue

I think Coppertone makes a "non-greasy" formula.  Not sure if it lives up to the  name, but better than the original formula.

MTA: reminder - do not apply the new "spray-on" sunblocks in the same fashion you apply mosquito repellent. [says, the guy who has a few 'lobster' photos from 2 years ago] 

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Wing

Joggaholic

I think Coppertone makes a "non-greasy" formula.  Not sure if it lives up to the  name, but better than the original formula.

MTA: reminder - do not apply the new "spray-on" sunblocks in the same fashion you apply mosquito repellent. [says, the guy who has a few 'lobster' photos from 2 years ago] 

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately DW dictates what sun blocks we use and she always buy those super duper natural organic hypoallergenic kinds, which comes out like lard in a tube...

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately DW dictates what sun blocks we use and she always buy those super duper natural organic hypoallergenic kinds, which comes out like lard in a tube...

Crisco works, but I don't know about lard.  When you start to sizzle, you move your ass.

(Lewis Black, anyone?)

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

Yoda the 4-eared cat

Fun conversation with my MIL the other day (background, FIL has recently had a malignant melanoma removed):

MIL - So, we were at the dermatologists yesterday and he told us that you can get sunburnt even if you're moving around!

Me and DH - ???

MIL - I always thought you had to be standing still to get sunburnt!

UV rays, turns out you can't outrun them. Be warned!

bhearn

Hmm, if you run fast enough, you can redshift them into the visible...

Fun conversation with my MIL the other day (background, FIL has recently had a malignant melanoma removed):

MIL - So, we were at the dermatologists yesterday and he told us that you can get sunburnt even if you're moving around!

Me and DH - ???

MIL - I always thought you had to be standing still to get sunburnt!

UV rays, turns out you can't outrun them. Be warned!

Oh, I'd be happy to turn this thread into "Dumb Things MIL's Say". Here's one: When I was pregnant with my first kid, dh and I decided to play a game of badminton. MIL said, "Be REALLY careful. Don't reach up too high, because it can cause the cord to wrap around the baby's neck." Yeah, because the cord is attached to my arm?

Feeling the growl again

Awesome...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Imminent Catastrophe

Or blueshift visible into UV. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016