I'm so discouraged! Ahhh. (Read 1048 times)

Wow, that was fast. Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I had really bad cotton mouth around the halfway point as well. I probably have to hydrate a little more before, and take it a little slower. We'll see how it goes on Tuesday. Thanks again guys, and if anyone has any tips, I would love to hear them.
    This reminds me of my beginning runs about a year ago. The cotton mouth was by far the most uncomfortable part of running for me. I could take the lungs on fire, the shaky legs, and the pain of hauling my butt around the neighborhood. I started carrying a small water bottle - not so much for hydration, but to wet my mouth so I could keep running. After a couple of months I got my hydration under control and no longer needed it for my runs that were under an hour in length. Welcome to running! Keep at it because it is so worth the good feeling you get after you complete each and every run - especially the crappy ones!
      Hi Dalsor! Welcome to running and RA! I had nearly the same experience when I started running last November. The first weeks are tough, but it does gradually get easier. I know everyone says that, but it's TRUE. In my case, I didn't really think I was improving until I ran 5 minutes straight the first time. Seemed like it took months. Then boom! 15 minutes came fast. Then 20. Then 30. Easily ran my first 10k a couple of weeks ago. BTW, I'm 53 and have always hated running, but secretly admired runners. Now I'm one of "them"! The main thing that saved my butt at the start was slow running. I got a heart monitor and it slowed me WAY down. Felt like I wasn't doing anything. For me, that's the key. Running should be easy, easy--especially in the beginning. Hang in there!
      Dalsor

Wow guys, thanks for all the inspiration and tips! I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on something that can track my heart rate, distance, and has interval timers(right now I am just counting 60/90) in my head. I am really looking forward to Tuesday now!
        colinw

I can't help with the heart rate monitor, but I use the Podrunner podcasts to cover the intervals. I started 2c5k 2 months ago and am currently in week 9 - running 30 minutes straight. If you told me that I would be able to do this 8 weeks ago I would have laughed. Anyway, using podrunner on your ipod or mp3 player will take care of the intervals for you with audio tones telling you when to run/walk. Also I always just keep track of my route and then map it as a new course here on the website. That gives me the distance. I did the C25k runs based on time, not distance and it worked well for me. I am covering 5k now in about 31 mins on a good day, and I couldn't even run the 60 seconds when I first started. Have fun and good luck.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

Kimmie

I don't have anything original to add to the advice that's already been offered here. I would just encourage you to keep it up. I have just started a running group following this plan. I'm a personal trainer. We have all types of people and they inspire me on a regular basis. It's tough in the beginning but if you stick with it, it will get better.
              I wouldn't just drink water right before, I'd make sure you're hydrated throughout the day. It's something I've noticed recently. I am not the worlds' best, fastest or most consistent runner. I go when I can, which in between caring for my 5-year old son and my husband being gone a few nights a week, doesn't seem to be all that often these days. But I noticed that if I don't take care of my dietary needs, my fitness suffers. It might seem like the obvious thing to do, but having a well balanced diet, lots of veggies, etc., and enough water made a HUGE difference. Running was a lot easier. It was like one of those "duh" moments!!! Big grin For me lately, work has been stressful, child-rearing has been a pain in the ass, and life has generally been super stressful. When that happens, I tend to not eat so well, and I tell you - running has really sucked lately. The couple times I've gone in the past week, anyway. Of course consistency is a big part too, which reminds me YET AGAIN, my need for a treadmill!! (whole other topic...). Good luck, and keep at it. It gets easier! My mileage in my log bites now, but I was better in February/March. April has bitten the big one but May will kick ass. Wink

Michelle

PudgyRunner

Good luck! Hope everything helps. I had the same problem when I started. It does get easier, and a lot more fun! Congratulations on starting!
                  If you're just starting out, don't go to complicated with the heart rate monitor. Get something basic that tracks current HR, time and average HR. I use the most basic model of the Polar (the FS1), which is very reasonably priced and has helped me a lot. Then, in six months or a year if you are really enjoying running and want more data, you can move up a few models! Good luck! Wink
                    I'm also a C25K graduate. Started running at the age of 46. Now training for my first HM at 48. You can do it. If you have to repeat a week, so what, you have the rest of your life. Listen to everyone here. Go slow, even slower. I found running at the high school track perfect for C25K because distance was easily calculated. I just wore my Timex Ironman for tracking time. There are all sorts of gadgets for HR, etc, depending on all techie you want to be. But just make it simple, run, walk, run, walk, run some more. Before you know it you will be running great and hate having to stop because you completed the scheduled distance. Happy running to you!!
                    Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>