Garmin 405 Release Date (Read 4388 times)

The Greatest of All Time

My 405 was just delivered and is charging as I type this. Ok, this thing is significantly smaller than the 305. Don't believe the hype. It is not much bigger than my Timex Ironman 30 Lap HRM. In other words, it won't look ridiculous if you happen to wear it when you're not running. Well, if you're a man that is. It might look a little big on a woman however but nothing close to a 305. The little ANT stick (so you can upload wirelessly) looks like a very small USB memory stick. Will post more later after I play around with it.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

You're mean. Tongue
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I hope it sucks and you hate it. Congrats! Enjoy your new toy and tell us all about it!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

I have played with this thing a little bit and here are some first impressions: The bezel ring will take getting used to. It's sort of like the thumb-wheel on an iPod and functions essentially the same way. You can adjust the sensitivity of the ring from low to medium to high. You can also lock the bezel ring like you lock your iPod or cell phone. It's very easy to lock and unlock. There will be problems trying to work the bezel ring with gloves on. In fact, it might be very difficult. However the start/stop & lap/reset buttons will be no problem. But if you get it set up properly you really shouldn't need to mess with the bezel ring while running. I took it outside and it found a satellite in about 90 seconds but that's in the heart of downtown Chicago. There are 4 data screens with up to 3 fields each. One screen is labeled HR but you can throw anything in there you want (it's not limited to just HR data). If you have three fields set to display, obviously one is considerably larger than the other two. 2 data fields are split 50/50 on the screen, etc. You can also turn any of the screens off and here is why: the unit has an auto-scroll where it will scroll through your set data fields while the unit is operating. The auto-scroll also has three speeds. I don't know if the 305 had this feature but it's pretty cool. In every other way I can see it sets up and operates like a 305. When I get home tonight I will do all the wireless uploading and write a bit about that. The band is very wide, probably about the width of a quarter, but is very comfortable to wear. MTA: The Heart Rate Data Screen will only display if the unit is receiving HR data.

My sweet new crank!

i am excited to try one as well. I just spoke with a friend (who works at garmin) and he said he ran with one sunday. he has high expectations and standards in gear...his opinion was that he was not sure they could make a better product. I hope that is true... we will see. As well, they do hope people wear it as a watch. I understand that battery life if pretty good when the GPS is not on.
            Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO

The Greatest of All Time

As well, they do hope people wear it as a watch. I understand that battery life if pretty good when the GPS is not on.
              According to the manual battery life is 8 hours with GPS on or 2 weeks on stand-by, i.e., no GPS activity. About the wrist watch thing: I have preferred Timex HRM's over Polar models because I don't like to change wrist pieces and the Polar HRM's always looked weird to me. I imagine I will get lazy and just keep this one on all the time. IMHO it looks more like a normal watch then Polar HRM's. I have some nice, expensive watches but rarely wear them, much to DW's chagrin.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You can also turn any of the screens off and here is why: the unit has an auto-scroll where it will scroll through your set data fields while the unit is operating. The auto-scroll also has three speeds. I don't know if the 305 had this feature but it's pretty cool.
                305 also does this under Settings-->General-->Display. I've tried it out but didn't care for it. If it's scrolling, odds are the screen you want to see isn't there 67% of the times you randomly look at the watch. I hated waiting for it to scroll, so I set to to fast. It scrolled too fast, so I set it too medium. Still didn't like it so I stopped using it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

305 also does this under Settings-->General-->Display. I've tried it out but didn't care for it. If it's scrolling, odds are the screen you want to see isn't there 67% of the times you randomly look at the watch. I hated waiting for it to scroll, so I set to to fast. It scrolled too fast, so I set it too medium. Still didn't like it so I stopped using it.
                  Ahh. Ok. Well on the 405 if you want to scroll through the data screens all you do is push the bezel ring when it's in training mode. You don't have to touch and drag...thank God.

Yeah. So was I totally misled about it not being that much smaller than a 305? If so I am killing Kenny.
                    Alright, I am here to turn myself in. Sorry Marcus No The side by side pictures and dimensions are misleading (I guess) 305 405 2.1" x 2.7" x 0.7" (5.33 x 6.86 x 1.78 cm) vs. 1.88" x 2.78" x 0.646" (4.8 x 7.1 x 1.6 cm) Not much total size difference. I stil LOVE my 305 and would recomend them to anybody. Anyways, I ask for leniency, as my intentions were pure. Kenny

The Greatest of All Time

Alright, I am here to turn myself in. Anyways, I ask for leniency, as my intentions were pure. Kenny
                      No harm, no foul. Big grin

My sweet new crank!

BTW with all the hyper hype ont he 405...i do not think you can get a better deal on the 305 than REI right now! $166... tough to trade up if you are not sure or budget conscious.
                        Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
                          Where is it $166 for the 305...
                            Bastard! $166 in my REI catalog today for the 305. Cheaper for lesser version. Console self by repeating: It's been worth another $60 to have had mine for two months.
                            kcam

What? No love for the TWO-O-Fiver?? My 205 works so much better than my old 201 that I am still in love. If all goes well, it will last unitl the 405 is a has-been and I can get the 505 or whatever they call the next gen. Unless, of course, I roll over the 205 with my truck (like I did the 201)!

The Greatest of All Time

Here is pic of the 405 next to my Time 30 Lap Ironman HRM (and I have very small wrists) The wireless uplink worked flawlessly once my PC recognized the unit. This took about 3 minutes to get set up. It also uploads your data (if you let it) into a Garmin web based site that's being ran by Motion Based so I assume the tools and features will be the same for analyzing a workout as with motionbased.com And of course the data also gets dumped into the crappy Garmin software and saved on your hard drive. Obviously it won't automatically upload into Sport Tracks...yet. There is way, however, to get the training data into SportTracks but it's not as fancy as with the 305. You have to import the .tcx file into ST so it's only a tiny little extra step. My .tcx file was located in: C\Documents and Settings\Owner.MLSNotebook\Application Data\GARMIN\Devices\3431190779\History The number: 3431190779 is the unique device number for your 405.