Race Bandits (Read 1312 times)

an amazing likeness

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The picture didn't load at first, but I knew it was a comet.

A Saucy Wench

Bandit #2 - well....not a problem if it is accidental.  We have a fair number of poorly advertised events out here and I have accidentally run in parts of 2 of them.  And I have run in 3 bike events which I really really do not like doing because cyclists will mow you down.

Bandit #3 - ,mmmm...I dunno if I always consider that cheating. (i.e. its not always to pace a specific time)  But I dont see a place for it in anything shorter than at least a HM.  And they shouldnt use resources.  But I honestly dont have a problem with the "running the last 5 miles of a friends first marathon" kind of support bandit. 

But I present Bandit #6  -"I only pay for races in which I expect to place" - of which I know 3 personally  - a married couple and a friend of theirs they introduced to running and therefore passed on this extremely asinine banditing as "normal".  .  I've run several bibless races with them. They take the aid stations, they go through the finish chute, they take medals, they eat the post race food. I've even seen them grab a t-shirt if the race organizers arent meticulous with packet pickup organization.  Assholes through and through. 

Bandit #7 - banditing part of PDX marathon because the race director is a complete asshole who has ruined a really good marathon.  - I think that deserves its own medal and perhaps an underground event to organize it.  Occupy Portland. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

HOORAY FOR BANDIT #7!

HOORAY FOR BANDIT #7!

Bazinga likes #7 also

A Saucy Wench

We could make t-shirts that say "BANNED FOR LIFE!"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

an amazing likeness

The picture didn't load at first, but I knew it was a comet.

And educational at the same time. We all have to be constant learners to compete with China, ya know.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xor

And educational at the same time. We all have to be constant learners to compete with China, ya know.

We keep hearing that argument every few years.

Banditing by Peter Sagal of "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" fame----many reactions follow in the comments

http://challengeblog.runnersworld.com/2011/10/peter-sagal-the-power-of-racing-the-joy-of-running.html

#artbydmcbride

As with many questions on message boards, this is stated as a yes/no either/or.

My answer: it depends.

That is all.

He should use depends rather than the porta-john or the woods?

Runners run

EliBuford

If you walk out of a store with an item you didn't pay for, even if it is overpriced...

But after the race, what is the bandit leaving with? Nothing more than extra miles under his belt.

xor

But after the race, what is the bandit leaving with? Nothing more than extra miles under his belt.

...which could have been run 1,000 other places.  Why THAT specific place?

JimR

But after the race, what is the bandit leaving with?

A year's supply of Rice-a-Roni™, The San-Francisco Treat!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Look up "theft of services."

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Bandit #1)  Just running to get a workout - Uses water stops etc - Hey its easier than carrying the stuff  =  Theif

Bandit #2)  Just running to get a workout - Will not use anything from race, but the course = Annoying - Can't you do your workout not in my way

Bandit#3)  Just want to run some of the race with a friend = cheating - Everywhere on the race course there are people doing their best - they may not be genetically gifted, but are trying to beat the person in front of them - Having a bandit help them to a time - just sucks.

Bandit #4)  Little kids that run last 1/4 mile of Marathon with Mom or Dad = Cute - as long as they are not impeding

Bandit #5)  Thinks he/she is running the race but does not want to spend the money = "If you ain't got no money - take your broke ass home!"

Hm. Under #3 above, you seem to be saying that anyone using a pacer is cheating, and the pacer is banditing. Do you believe that about ultras as well?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.