Am I ready for an Ultra Trail (Read 599 times)

helderar

I've started running at the end of September 2011 and have been slowly but steadily increasing my weekly distance. It is now around 45kms, with a long run of 20kms. I'm also a bike commuter 11kms each way and on Saturdays I go for longer bike rides, MTB or road. Once a week I go to the pool for half an hour.

This Ultra Trail is 50kms and relatively flat. It is generaly described as the easiest of the Ultra trails and will be held on 20th May. I love long distances at least when it comes to cycling.

Until the race week I can still increase my weekly run distance and the long run. I won't increase it a lot because the next two weekends I'll have to cycling events and I don't want to be very tired. A MTB 72kms race and a 300kms road brevet.

I don't want to be very fast but I want to finish it. If I take an easy pace is this doable? Am I aiming to high?

You can see some pictures https://picasaweb.google.com/109033680549082279205/IVUltraTrailGeiraRomana#

It is run on an ancient Roman road.

Thank you!

Kalsarikännit

Based on your mileage, I would say no way.  Sorry.  You may put in a lot of time cycling, but running is a whole different beast.  It will put stresses on your legs that you are not ready for that can result in injury.  

Trail running is great, though.  I know at least by me it can be impossible to find trail races that are not extremely long.  Are there any short trail races by you that you can try?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I know at least by me it can be impossible to find trail races that are not extremely long.  Are there any short trail races by you that you can try?

Now I think I've finally found out an advantage of living in a densely populated country...

We do have shorter trails here...

(I just took a look at the Belgian trail-running calendar, and only a minority of them are over 50K.  There are even runs of 15k and less...)

Running in Belgium
        Ann

Imminent Catastrophe

What WG said. Do you do any trail running? Because it's very different from the road, even on an "easy" trail. I'd recommend shorter trail runs before trying the ultra. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I've started running at the end of September 2011 and have been slowly but steadily increasing my weekly distance. It is now around 45kms, with a long run of 20kms. I'm also a bike commuter 11kms each way and on Saturdays I go for longer bike rides, MTB or road. Once a week I go to the pool for half an hour.

This Ultra Trail is 50kms and relatively flat. It is generaly described as the easiest of the Ultra trails and will be held on 20th May. I love long distances at least when it comes to cycling.

Until the race week I can still increase my weekly run distance and the long run. I won't increase it a lot because the next two weekends I'll have to cycling events and I don't want to be very tired. A MTB 72kms race and a 300kms road brevet.

I don't want to be very fast but I want to finish it. If I take an easy pace is this doable? Am I aiming to high?

You can see some pictures https://picasaweb.google.com/109033680549082279205/IVUltraTrailGeiraRomana#

It is run on an ancient Roman road.

Thank you!

As already mentioned, biking is not running. For a May 20 race that's overdistance for you, you (or at least *I*) should be near peak volume and long run distance by now. Right now, your long run is < HM, and you want to do something a bit longer than a marathon in 1 month. You've only been running about 6-7 months.

It looks like it could be a fun (as in party-like) event on old Roman road. Pics look like it's part road and maybe some trail, but hard to tell - definitely not what we usually consider a trail ultra around here.

I'm going to go with the flow in that you're likely undertrained for this right now - and have other higher priorities, like your biking - so likely aiming too high. What's the rush. Enjoy the journey for getting there.

That said, some folks take to endurance running like a fish to water, but many of them are coming from hiking and backpacking backgrounds (think: lots of time on feet, which you don't have) and have trained at both running and hiking and transitioning.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            helderar

I run three times a week and one of them is on local trails, I always leave home running but I have done a 16km run on trails. I also go for walks with my wife for an hour two or three times a week but I don't register them here on RA.

This event has also a short distance 17km race on part of the same course.

This ultra is almost flat and I suppose most of its course is on wide gravel roads.

My question was because I love long distances, all day long events. I think I'll leave it for next year then and go for the short distance.

Or maybe I'll go crazy and risk it all, my biggest fear is getting injured.

I run three times a week and one of them is on local trails, I always leave home running but I have done a 16km run on trails. I also go for walks with my wife for an hour two or three times a week but I don't register them here on RA.

This event has also a short distance 17km race on part of the same course.

This ultra is almost flat and I suppose most of its course is on wide gravel roads.

My question was because I love long distances, all day long events. I think I'll leave it for next year then and go for the short distance.

Or maybe I'll go crazy and risk it all, my biggest fear is getting injured.

I think going for the short distance would be a SMART decision! Going crazy and getting injured is NOT very smart and given your training is more likely to happen.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

helderar

I think going for the short distance would be a SMART decision! Going crazy and getting injured is NOT very smart and given your training is more likely to happen.

Yes, that's what I'll do. I'll taper this week and the next for the cycling and hope that this weekend I can finish on the top 20% of more than 600 bikers peloton..

That last sentence I wrote was just a way to show my frustration for not being able to enter the long distance. I knew it probably wasn't a very good idea but was hoping someone would tell me 6 months of running make perfectly capable of running ultra distances. I'll keep on training.

Is there any place where I can read about long distance running?

Are there pre-established plans like there are for marathon or half marathon?

How many miles should I be running a week, next year by this time, to enter the 50km?

Thank you! Happy running to you all!