Are "Save Yourself ....." online tutorials worth it?? (Read 2105 times)

tomatolover

Yet again, I'm in the throes of another IT Band flare up (which, awfully enough started up during mile 8 of my 1st marathon attemptEmbarrassed) and, yet again, I find myself googling the universe for answers.  With every flare up, I've come across this "Save Yourself from IT band Syndrome"  site for $19.95... I'm tempted to buy, but also, in a word - cheap.  I can't seem to find any reviews of the program and I'm hoping that someone has invested in the program and has some insight about it, good or bad.

Thanks

http://saveyourself.ca/tutorials/iliotibial-band-syndrome.php

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

i would go to your local library.  There should be one of the 5 or 6 books about running injuries.  It'll likely have the same info.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Feeling the growl again

Never had ITB.

All I can say is the two friends I personally know who had it, switched to motion control shoes (ICK) and it went away.  Eventually they got away from them and the ITB didn't come back.

That's all I have.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Yet again, I'm in the throes of another IT Band flare up (which, awfully enough started up during mile 8 of my 1st marathon attemptEmbarrassed) and, yet again, I find myself googling the universe for answers.  With every flare up, I've come across this "Save Yourself from IT band Syndrome"  site for $19.95... I'm tempted to buy, but also, in a word - cheap.  I can't seem to find any reviews of the program and I'm hoping that someone has invested in the program and has some insight about it, good or bad.

Thanks

http://saveyourself.ca/tutorials/iliotibial-band-syndrome.php

Do you do  IT band stretches regularly?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

jeffdonahue

I had ITB issues years ago and went to www.julstro.com and with their help it went away pretty quick.  Basically it promoted using a dowel to massage out your quads really getting good stretches on your quads, hamstrings and calves.  You might also check into shoes with a little more stability.

Please don't pay someone for this information.  Here's something for free...I have had pretty bad IT band pain twice.  Once after doing a series of ill-advised hill sessions, and another time immediately after my first marathon.  What worked for me was finding a series of IT band stretches (google them) and be aggressive about it.  I was stretching 5 or 6 times a day at the onset of the injury.  More importantly, use a foam roller.  And not one of those wimpy ones they sell at Dick's or other sporting goods store.  It needs to be hard - they sell them with PVC pipe in the middle.  I've had mine for almost 2 years and I love it.  It truly is a miracle worker.  I think they cost about $30.  I know your cheap (I am too!) but IMHO it will save you a lot of pain and suffering in the long run...Good luck!

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Just seconding the aggressive rolling and ITB stretching (if you can actually stretch the thing) and ITB release type of stuff.  I still don't own a roller, but I do use a 2 litre bottle of coke so it's pretty solid, rolling using that works well, either working up and down the ITB, or, if it's too painful weighting the area that hurts, holding for a few seconds, moving slightly, repeat, and so on.  The amount of weight I can put onto the bottle is generally an indication of how tight or knotted the ITB is.  Also massaging by hand or  using one of those massager things (the knobber or whatever it's called...yep, great name) on knotty areas can really help too.  It does hurt to roll and massage, but it seems to really help.  Rolling before and after a run, plus before bed seems to help sort it out for me, as well as the stretching and so on.  I keep up with the stretching post-run because it's part of my stretching routine and because I find it helps me (I know some people get no benefits from any post-run stretches) but I only tend to roll when things are feeling a bit tight in the knee area, and generally just a couple of short sessions of rolling are enough to get things back to normal before any pain or true symptoms of ITB tightness kick in.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

ART (active release technique). Find a provider. http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp After they fix it, stretch it and use a roller or the stick so it doesn't come back.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Just coming off a bout of this myself.  Stretching is good but strengthening weak muscles (usually glutes) is also important.  I do this exercise with the resistance band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgyBLtfU6ho&feature=related

Walk sideways 25 steps, knees bent, with the band around the ankles and then reverse directions, returning to where you started.  Repeat the exercise again.  You will feel it in your butt. Smile

Avoid downhills like the plague for the time being and limit your mileage.  I find that faster running doesn't irritate the band as much.  Ice the band after running.  Save your 19.95.  It is better spent on the foam roller, resistance bands or a good physical therapist who will work with you individually.

Ostrich runner

If the foam roller doesn't hurt really, really bad, then you aren't doing it right.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Foam rolling for ITB should be along the outside of the thigh from knee to hip - that helps me whenever I get twinges. And it should hurt until you get tears in your eyes! LOL

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Arrynard

You know, I think it's worth it. Additional lessons will never be superfluous. When I was at school, I did not like classes, so I went to the sports section and achieved success in sports. But you know, now I'm working and very often I need to write all sorts of reviews and reviews for different products. I mostly do it myself, but sometimes when I need to write a huge essay I turn to StudyMoose. I read a review about this service a long time ago and it hooked me. You know, if I studied more at school, maybe I wouldn't have to spend money on writing lyrics. Although I can’t say that I regret my school life either. It was fun, and in school years, this is the most important thing.