I hate tapering (Read 430 times)

Boston is in two weeks.  I'm better prepared for this race than any marathon I've ever entered.  

I hit a mileage peak of 70 last week.  I just couldn't face tapering 3 weeks out.  

This week I'm forcing myself to cut back, and yesterday took my first day off in 3+ weeks.  Today I would typically do double (5,7), I'm doing a single (7).  I'm not happy, and it only started yesterday.

Who else hates tapering?

Boston coming up for me too.  I used to hate the taper but it has become my friend the last couple of cycles.  By the end of a training period anymore I am so tired that making it to the taper is a relief.  I cut back to 60 last week, about 45 this week, and about 25 next.  I am starting to feel fresh and light again, speed is picking up, and I'm generally starting to not hate running anymore.  If history is any guide, I will continue to "freshen" through this week and the beginning of next.  By the end of next week I will start to feel a little twitchy but it's all a part of the process. 

I don't know how you taper but I tend to keep the quality through the taper, just cut back the distance of it.  I'll probably do 12 miles tomorrow with 6 to 10 at MP and get in another hill and tempo session before the race.  The quality keeps me moving and feeling fresh, but keeping it short lets me heal and get ready to race.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

xor

taper schmaper

I'm not telling you not to taper.  I'm telling you that I hate it, and I usually don't.

But I am for Boston. Two weeks worth.

DoppleBock

Add a nice 45 minute walk to take the edge off.  Be careful I have ruined a few good periods of fitness by not being willing to taper enough.  I too usually ignore 3 weeks out and it has bit me in the ass before.  But I am 3 weeks out now and do not plan on tapering this week,  I am thinking

50 - Pre Saturday -race 

But this is not the prize - That comes June 2-3.

Again - I tend to add an evening brisk 45 minute walk 2 weeks out to take the edge off so I do not explode.

Boston is in two weeks.  I'm better prepared for this race than any marathon I've ever entered.  

I hit a mileage peak of 70 last week.  I just couldn't face tapering 3 weeks out.  

This week I'm forcing myself to cut back, and yesterday took my first day off in 3+ weeks.  Today I would typically do double (5,7), I'm doing a single (7).  I'm not happy, and it only started yesterday.

Who else hates tapering?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

This

I don't know how you taper but I tend to keep the quality through the taper, just cut back the distance of it.  I'll probably do 12 miles tomorrow with 6 to 10 at MP and get in another hill and tempo session before the race.  The quality keeps me moving and feeling fresh, but keeping it short lets me heal and get ready to race.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !