Sometimes I'm glad I run solo... (Read 977 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was just reading a post on another board I frequent (though not nearly to the extent of this one). One of the members there is a fellow runner. She is part of a training group and they had a speedwork session scheduled tonite. Apparently a mile into it they bailed due to the weather and ended up at a restaurant. I also did a speed workout tonite...and I did my full 4.5 planned miles, even in 40-50mph gusts, 15ยบ windchills, and snow. I'm sure training groups have their benefits and help to motivate a lot of folks, but it looks like it can be detrimental, too, when the majority wusses-out. I guess I'm a lot more "hardcore" than I thought. I like the sense of accomplishment I feel when I run in conditions that would send a "normal" runner running back indoors. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah, Kirsten, I agree. When I played high school basketball, I played and trained even in the rain, snow...whatever. prior to my first marathon, I did a 12 mile run in the rain...heck...we need to run when we need to run. Plus, I have a good friend I am converting to a runner...but, we ran three miles today and he needed to walk a bunch of times...I hung in there with him. But, yeah, sometimes...alone is good.
      If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
        that would seriously bug. one of the main reasons I run alone is because I'm worried that I'd end up with someone who was always late. Evil grin That drives me crazy! In fact, I really want to hook up with a girl I've run with a few times but when I run into her at races, she is *just* getting there and I've been standing around for an hour or so before she arrives. That would drive me crazy! So i'm not calling her to hook up, LOL. She always seems to find me anyway!

Jennifer mm#1231

oh and I had a friend, a very dear friend-God love her and so do I, but being on time doesn't mean you show up and then delay the event another 20-30 minutes by stretching, chatting, eating, applying sunscreen, etc. You get out of your car and RUN!

Jennifer mm#1231

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I had a high school buddy who trained and raced at about the same speed I did, and had a similar maniacal mentality about running. We ran together for several summers after HS. I was fortunate to have this, but I think it's rare. It's fun to run with groups/partners, but all that being said, I prefer alone. I feel like it builds mental toughness to train alone and push yourself hard w/o the benefit of a group. Bravo to you for braving the elements. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

one of the main reasons I run alone is because I'm worried that I'd end up with someone who was always late. Evil grin That drives me crazy! In fact, I really want to hook up with a girl I've run with a few times but when I run into her at races, she is *just* getting there and I've been standing around for an hour or so before she arrives.
              Did I mention how much I hate it when the person I am running with insists on showing up to a race 2 hours before hand. Then you sit around and get cold and nervous and antsy for an hour and a half, at which point you can start stretching and warming up. I have found having a friend to run with is great - it gets me out on days I wouldnt otherwise, especially in the mornigns before I started having to work at ridiculous hours, and it can push me more than running alone. And its fun - I dont get to see some people that often, so getting to socialize and run is a great combo! But, it can also be difficult to schedule and compromise - your partner wants to run farther/faster/later/earlier, whatever. I really hate being slowing the group or my friend down. I dont seem to mind it nearly as much when I am slowed down, as long as I plan on it. (I was really tired and needed a nice, short, slow easy run. So I went with a friend who is really slow. It was great - totally relaxing for me, and we got to catch up. If I wanted a harder run I would have been miserable.)
                I dont get to see some people that often, so getting to socialize and run is a great combo! But, it can also be difficult to schedule and compromise - your partner wants to run farther/faster/later/earlier, whatever. I really hate slowing the group or my friend down. I don't seem to mind it nearly as much when I am slowed down, as long as I plan on it.
                I agree. The few times I've had a running partner, other than my husband that is, I totally enjoyed the chance to socialize. But I do remember once running with a group of people and just feeling like we were going too slow, but I think I was planning on a harder run that day so when they wanted to do an easy run it threw me off a little. I'm at the point now when I'm at home and look out the window and see someone running by, I want to run out there and ask them if I can join them! I don't know where these people come from, certainly not any of my nearest neighbors (too old to run and others just not interested).

Michelle

Personally, I like both. I run 2 or 3 days on my own, 1 day a week with a friend and do my Sat long run with a group. To me, it is the perfect set-up. I can do my tempo and speedwork on my own, take it easy with my friend the Thu before my Sat long run, and have plenty of interesting and colourful folks to help pass the miles on those long Sat runs. It allows me to speed up or slow down as I see fit. Don't get me wrong, the nucleus of the group is hardcore. We run hills, every Sat, regardless of weather. This year, we've run in -30C weather, freezing rain, sleet, through ice, snow - you name it! I need the freedom to run hard on my own, and the variety of the group on the long runs to keep it interesting.
                    Personally, I like both. I run 2 or 3 days on my own, 1 day a week with a friend and do my Sat long run with a group.
                    I'm of the same mindset. Solo during the week and group run on the weekend. I benefit from the group during long runs even though we usually aren't together after a few miles because of varying fitness levels. Knowing that there are people behind and (mostly) in front of me shooting for the same distance goal is a good motivator. Although, my marathon training group has dwindled to THREE this year. Guess the other guys checked the marathon off of their "To Do before I die" list and moved on... bastards. Smile
                    runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I have been running solo for years and love it. If you feel good and want to run alittle faster you can, and when your body really does not feal like running but you do any way you can runn slower and not change someone elses pace. Plus where I live there is only one other person that I could run with the high school distance coach, and he is to fast for me on easy days, tempo days he is great though. brad

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Personally, I like both. I run 2 or 3 days on my own, 1 day a week with a friend and do my Sat long run with a group. To me, it is the perfect set-up. I can do my tempo and speedwork on my own, take it easy with my friend the Thu before my Sat long run, and have plenty of interesting and colourful folks to help pass the miles on those long Sat runs.
                        I would benefit from someone to run speed workouts with. I do better with someone along with me. I think I push myself more that way. Long runs I can do either way. Sometimes I like to go and tune out the world and other times I like to chat during the run. I don't know about a group though, I think running with just one other person is ideal, other wise I feel like a herd or pack of animals!! Tongue

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I would benefit from someone to run speed workouts with. I do better with someone along with me. I think I push myself more that way.
                          A lot of running clubs have "speedwork" nights where they get together one night a week for intervals and other speed training. If you have a running club or running store in your area, you might want to look into this.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I was just reading a post on another board I frequent (though not nearly to the extent of this one).
                            It's like that episode of Cheers when the whole gang went to a bowling alley. When Norm went into the bowling alley bar, the patrons there all yelled "Norm!", and the Cheers folks were surprised to imagine Norm having a life outside of Cheers. Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's like that episode of Cheers when the whole gang went to a bowling alley. When Norm went into the bowling alley bar, the patrons there all yelled "Norm!", and the Cheers folks were surprised to imagine Norm having a life outside of Cheers. Wink
                              Heh, I can see that! Wink The other board is a MI parenting board. For the most part it's not all that interesting to me. Most of the members have little kids and are a bit younger than me, so I don't get as much out of it as I would have 5 years ago. Now my mindset is more "all running (and to a lesser extent, weight training), all the time!" Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

Apparently a mile into it they bailed due to the weather and ended up at a restaurant. k
                                Sounds like something that i'd do Smile, i'm a giant wuss, unless the waves are cranking then i'm out there...the bigger the better. I am a solo runner for the most part but thinking about joining a free running clinic here that meets on Sunday morning, just to meet local runners and start getting into the running community here.