Calorie Burn- Runtastic Pro (Read 115 times)

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I've hurt myself and temporarily can't run so I have switched to walking.  I wanted to know how many calories I burn doing that, so that in my recovery I don't continue to eat like I am burning as many calories as I did when I was running.  If I need to cut back on portion size, I would rather do it now than later after gaining a couple pounds.

On day 1 I used the Runtastic Pro app, set the activity to walking, and did my workout at a 12:30 per mile average pace.  I was disheartened to see I only registered a caloric burn of about 250 (I had walked for 90 minutes at that pace).

Day 2 I switched the activity setting to running, and did the exact same workout at virtually the same pace and distance.  This time my caloric burn registered closer to 650.

Which is the more accurate estimation?  I feel like I am working harder walking at a 12:30 pace than I would if I were running at that pace.

Appreciate any help I get on this.

Leah, mother of dogs

Joann Y

I've hurt myself and temporarily can't run so I have switched to walking.  I wanted to know how many calories I burn doing that, so that in my recovery I don't continue to eat like I am burning as many calories as I did when I was running.  If I need to cut back on portion size, I would rather do it now than later after gaining a couple pounds.

On day 1 I used the Runtastic Pro app, set the activity to walking, and did my workout at a 12:30 per mile average pace.  I was disheartened to see I only registered a caloric burn of about 250 (I had walked for 90 minutes at that pace).

Day 2 I switched the activity setting to running, and did the exact same workout at virtually the same pace and distance.  This time my caloric burn registered closer to 650.

Which is the more accurate estimation?  I feel like I am working harder walking at a 12:30 pace than I would if I were running at that pace.

I still think 100 calories per mile is a good rule of thumb. To be conservative, since you are on the lighter side, you might estimate 90 calories per mile.

Aren't calories just a measure of the work you're doing? Work = moving weight over distance, regardless of pace. I think if you walked 7 miles (90 mins at 12:30 pace), depending on your weight, it'd be closer to the 650 than the 250, whether you walked or ran. I could be wrong.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I read somewhere that running an 8 min mile over a set distance burns as many calories as running a 10 minute mile over the same distance.  I just didn't know if walking was the same, less upward springiness(?) makes it burn fewer calories?  The app is definitely telling me walking is burning fewer calories, but I find it hard to believe it is that few.

I like the 90-100 calorie per mile rule.  I imagine that wouldn't work for every activity (swimming must burn more than that), but walking and running are similar enough.

Leah, mother of dogs

Joann Y

Yeah, so closer to 650. And what  ntown said.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Thanks Joann and  ntown.  I feel better now!

Leah, mother of dogs

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've hurt myself and temporarily

Sorry!

Joann Y

Thanks Joann and  ntown.  I feel better now!

feel better!  :-)

Walk-Jogger

I count calories and track my weight almost every day, and I use the rough rule of thumb that I burn 100 calories per mile running, and 70 calories per mile walking ( I weighed about 140 lbs when I made these calculations). I walk about 15 minutes per mile, so in 90 minutes I could walk 6 miles and that would burn 420 calories by my estimation. Using these calculations for the past 7 years, I've decided that they're pretty close to spot on for me, because I can gain or lose weight at will using these numbers and I usually know about what my weight will be within a few tenths of a lb before I step on my scale first thing in the morning.

I just checked your profile and I see that you're a lot lighter weight than I am, so proportionally, using my walking burn rate, your calories burned would only be 55 calories per mile. But do you really walk at a 12:30 per mile pace? That's fast. I think the burn rate would be closer to the equivalent running amount. But even at 55 calories per mile walking, if  you went  90 minutes @ 12:30 pace that's 7.2 miles and 396 calories burned. If not more.

Retired &  Loving It

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Yes I really do walk at a 12:30 per mile pace.  It's not easy!  You have to constantly be reminding yourself to not slow down.  At that pace your body really wants to start running to make it easier.  At least that is what the average pace was as calculated by the Runtastic app.  The GPS is spotty in the area I use, so I suppose it might not be completely accurate.  But at any rate, the distance is right and it took me an hour and a half to walk 7 miles.  I had walked a more leisurely 6 miles with my dog right before that too.  No point in trying to time myself with his along, he stops too often to pee!

Leah, mother of dogs

Slowshoes

I've been using  1cal/kg/K and this seems to account for wt changes.  Doesn't account for change in running speeds(increased wind resistance), but close enough.  Example:  154 pound runner runs 10 miles= 70kgx16K=1120 cal.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Cecil, this is a screenshot of my walking workout from Thursday.  So you can see my pace.

Thanks Joann and LedLincoln.  I always seem to hurt myself whenever I try to do a 100 mile week.  This time I had done a 107 mile week and ended up with hip joint pain as well as a sharp pain in one shin.  I am desperately hoping I can at least keep walking until I can run again without pain.  As it is, I think I had better take the weekend off from all activities. Sad

Leah, mother of dogs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Aren't calories just a measure of the work you're doing? Work = moving weight over distance, regardless of pace. 

Yes, but efficiency must be taken into account.  Walking is actually a more efficient activity than running in that it takes less energy to travel a given distance walking vs running.  Of course, since we are into "burning" more calories and burning them quickly, we run.

Here's a great article about the subject, along with a couple of nice rules of thumb.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

WALK RUN
                            CALORIES/MILE .57 x wt in lbs .72 x wt in lbs
                            CALORIES/MIN .03 x wt in lbs .07 x wt in lbs

[Note: The Cal/minute calculation is pace-dependent, and is only valid at 10:00/mile pace running and 18:36/mi walking]

One interesting thing to note in the article pertains directly to NikoRosa and her awesomely fast walking pace:

These calculations aren't meant to be precise. They are good approximations, and much more accurate than the old chestnut: You burn 100 calories per mile.

Lastly the calculations only apply to walkers doing an 18:36 pace and runners doing a 10:00 pace. Running faster or slower than 10:00 pace doesn't make much difference in your calorie-burn per mile. (But has a major impact on your burn per minute.)

Walking is a different kind of animal. Increases in walking speed dramatically raise calorie burn per mile as well as per minute. Indeed, at about 12:30 per mile, walking hits a point where it burns about the same calories/mile as running. Walk faster than 12:30 and you will burn more calories/mile than running at 10:00 pace.

However, almost no one but competitive race walkers goes faster than 12:30 per mile. [Heh]

NikoRosa, sounds like you should go with the higher number.  Your super-brisk walking pace is at the threshold where it burns roughly the same number of calories as running.

WALKRUNCALORIES/MILE.57 x wt in lbs.72 x wt in lbsCALORIES/MIN.03 x wt in lbs.07 x wt in lbs

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Wow Jeff, that was an awesome response!  Very helpful and I understand much better now.  I am going to be stuck walking for a while, it still hurts quite a bit to run.  Hopefully if I can keep walking like this I won't lose too much fitness.

I'm  little astonished that my pace is considered that fast.  Maybe I should race lol.

Leah, mother of dogs

Teresadfp

One day at a time

NikoRosa, you walk faster than I run!